Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods

+2
nick_76
PokeSephiroth
6 posters

Go down

Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods Empty Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-05, 20:34

Decided to do one of these, because a friend was asking for photos, and I figured I'd take pictures and do a little tutorial on how to get these things to become more effective than what they're really meant for. Been looking around the internet for tutorials, and couldn't find any that had pictures, so.... yeah. Very Happy

I have two Marineland Penguin 350's so, it uses the Rite-Size C filter cartridges. Just make sure you're using the same type of filter cartridge that your HOB filter uses, and you should be fine. Very Happy

What you'll need:

Scissors
2 filter cartridges
Bio Media (I'm using Seachem Matrix)
Fishing line
Needle (Optional) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Begin by cutting off the mechanical filter stuff out, I just used scissors, and cut as close as I could, to make it as neat as possible. Doesn't have to be too neat. But it sure does help Very Happy Then dump out all the Activated Carbon out, you can save it or just toss it. Your call.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Next, I take out the rest of the mechanical filter stuff (batting?).... there, looks nice and clean now Smile Then I filled one side of the cartridge with the bio media. Because seachem's Matrix stuff has big and small pieces, I had to go through and see which ones fit, and which ones didn't. Figured the bigger ones would benefit more if they were used in a canister filter or trickle filter....but that's another project Very Happy[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Place the other half of the cartridge ontop of the other, thus making a sandwich-like thing, and run the fishing line through the slots alone the side of the cartridge to keep things nice and secure. You can also do JUST the corners, you're just making sure that the cartridge doesn't burst open when you place it in your filter. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

One last thing, before you put the finished and modified filter, is to cut off the "tab" looking things on ONE of the cartridges, so that it fits snug in your filter. If you don't cut those off, then it won't fit down all the way. You can use a really sharp knife to cut it off, just be careful.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And there you have it! A modified filter cartridge that houses bio media for MORE beneficial bacteria to grow and colonize in Very Happy . . . I would suggest adding an original filter cartridge BEHIND the modified filter, for the mechanical filtration. That way none of the food and gunk gets trapped in the bio media. Happy overfiltering!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods Empty Re: Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods

Post  nick_76 2013-04-05, 21:35

do you realize this would be a million times easier in a canister filter? come, poke...come to the round side....
(yea i know a lot if not most canisters are square... -ish...but when i hear can, i think round...maybe im crazy that way)
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods Empty Re: Marineland Penguin/Emperor Filter Cartridge Mods

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-05, 21:39

I already have both HoB Filters and Canister filters. I get the best of both worlds (whatever best things those would be. lol. No point in trying to convince me to one side, when I have both sides. LOLOL)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-04-06, 00:29

too bad the media container for the Emperor is too tall for the Penguin cover, otherwise it's exactly what you're making

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-06, 00:30

I just found these too after a friend showed them to me, which are significantly cheaper than regular filter cartridges... And they apparently also COME with the Emperor filters. FML. -_-;;

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-04-06, 00:35

Thats perfect. Well, there goes that DIY project. cheers
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-06, 01:17

I s'pose it would work for people who have an abundant supply of old filter cartridges. hahaha
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-04-06, 12:52

It's a good idea for those used cartridges. I never thought about adding any bio to them. I used to wrap them with quilt batting when the floss wore out after so many rinses. Now I use those green kitchen scrubby things. They fit right into my Penguin filter.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-06, 12:58

Betty wrote:It's a good idea for those used cartridges. I never thought about adding any bio to them. I used to wrap them with quilt batting when the floss wore out after so many rinses. Now I use those green kitchen scrubby things. They fit right into my Penguin filter.

Cut to fit sponges is what I use. They come in bricks found at most LFS. I'll also use ceramics as well.
Usually I'll do away with the plastic do hicky all together and just shove a precut block sponge right into the compartment with a layer of ceramics either on top or beneath the sponge.

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-06, 13:06

theChad wrote:
Betty wrote:It's a good idea for those used cartridges. I never thought about adding any bio to them. I used to wrap them with quilt batting when the floss wore out after so many rinses. Now I use those green kitchen scrubby things. They fit right into my Penguin filter.

Cut to fit sponges is what I use. They come in bricks found at most LFS. I'll also use ceramics as well.
Usually I'll do away with the plastic do hicky all together and just shove a precut block sponge right into the compartment with a layer of ceramics either on top or beneath the sponge.
Yeah I do the same thing. I four staged all my filters using Sponge, poly floss, crushed coral, and ceramic mixed with a bit of ammo chips.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-06, 14:22

Woop woop!!! Great ideas! Now, I remember reading somewhere, that someone placed an airline tube with a small air stone in where the cartridges go, which helps "oxygenate" the water, and allows the bacteria to gain access to the oxygen, kinda like a wet/dry filter... does anyone know if this really works?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-04-06, 16:37

I had used these when I had a penguin in my set up.
They are a reusable 'clam shell' frame that would also allow for cutting up sheets of bonded filter material and make up your own if you did not want to buy the Bio3 replacement stuff.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-04-06, 20:55

Never tried an airstone in the HOB filter but sounds interesting. I'll try it just to say I did it.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-07, 03:27

Salzabar, here's the article that has the airline tubing thing... I tried reading it, yet again, and still can't make out with what's going on. Sad

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-07, 11:02

PokeSephiroth wrote:Salzabar, here's the article that has the airline tubing thing... I tried reading it, yet again, and still can't make out with what's going on. Sad

I dont think this is necessary as long as you have surface agitation in the tank. With HOB filters make sure the water level is just under the water return. This will agitate the surface just enough to break up the waters "skin" and allow O2 molecules to interact with the water.

It is said that fresh air enhances bacteria growth. Is this really necessary for such a small space? I have no air stones running in my 30. I've never had issue with low O2 levels.

Just because - I have a big air pump I do run it in my sump. The thought is to dissipate any stagnated air or any other gas bi product that's produced during the ammonia /waste breakdown. Also I have a fear of low O2 levels at night due to CO2 injection during the day. Some of the micro bubbles enter my pump and makes its way into my tank..

Does this help? Or did I totally miss what your searching for?

- juSt my coffEe induCed $.02 woRth Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-07, 11:56

Well, assuming that I'm not going to have this as a planted tank, I won't be using CO2 injection.

What I think happens with the air stone being in there, is that it works more like a moving bed filter. Bubbles rise up through the bio filter media, and shake lose any of the weaker "bacteria" which then only leaves the "stronger" ones. Basically weeding out the weak ones, and leaving the stronger ones behind, and also allowing for more potentially "stronger" ones to form. *shrug* that's the concept of a moving bed filter at least.

I guess the mod is to simulate that. And I guess it also allows you to stock more fish...or something? *shrug* LOL
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-04-07, 12:51

OK, I see after reading the article its about getting air to the bacteria inside the HOB filter. IMO thats overkill since the bacteria will adjust according to O2 levels inside the filter. Sure you can grow more but if you have other biological filtraion inside the tank then its not needed. If its the only filter for the tank then I say go for it. Better for the bio load of the tank.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-07, 13:21

That's what I thought, basically... if you have a 55 gallon tank, and you use a penguin 350 by itself, with no other filtration... I guess you get a decent boost in bio load capacity, but I guess you can only go so far... hehehe
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down