goldfish for ponds

5 posters

Go down

goldfish for ponds Empty goldfish for ponds

Post  smashaha 2011-01-18, 06:05

i have a big pond with koi and a catfish. i have heard that there are goldfish that can grow to the size of a volley ball but i don't know what kind. can anyone tell me the names of some fancy goldfish that will grow well in outdoor pond and a reputable place to buy them? i need a trustworthy retailer since i have a lot of money invested in my koi.

smashaha

Back to top Go down

goldfish for ponds Empty Re: goldfish for ponds

Post  lars on 2011-01-22, 01:15

Dont do fancy goldies in a pond, way to slow growing, and your koi and catfish will eat them within seconds.

And it would take a goldie probably 8-10 years to grow the size of a volleyball, there is only one that big that ive heard of and its in japan at an oranda farm
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  jasson 2011-02-27, 14:20

iv got golgfish in my pond out front of my house i started with about 25 oh and they are just feeders i got for free and now i have 2 or 3 due to racoon getting hungery
jasson
jasson
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaie 2011-02-27, 14:59

Yeah the big battle is wildlife eating them.
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Vic 2011-02-27, 16:43

I don't really have an answer for OP, who obviously has a large, deep enough pond that raccoons aren't a problem. I know common goldfish will get 12-18". Grass carp get huge, but are considered invasive - I think they need to be sterile to import them to the US.

I would guess you quarantine new arrivals? I would if I had fish that expensive. Well, I don't have expensive fish and I still quarantine.

For smaller pond owners, I'm told that to be raccoon safe you need to have an area of your pond that is at least four feet deep. I removed my pond due to raccoons - they cleaned out my fish every year, and at the time I could not put in a pond that deep. Around here, herons are also an issue, but for some reason they do not like my yard nearly as well as my neighbors.

Vic
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2011-02-27, 21:06

smashaha wrote:i have a big pond with koi and a catfish. i have heard that there are goldfish that can grow to the size of a volley ball but i don't know what kind. can anyone tell me the names of some fancy goldfish that will grow well in outdoor pond and a reputable place to buy them? i need a trustworthy retailer since i have a lot of money invested in my koi.

there are plenty of goldfish that are fancy and do well in ponds,im always happy to say that goldfish and koi are my favorite fish.i could yak your ear off in writing or in person.i just put together an awesome breeding group of ryukin,red and white that i hand picked for my shop,with a splash of calicio ,to spawn .today ive got tons of babies,,,,,,,,,,for the love of goldfish,come in and say hello

jeff

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down