sidekicking
Gosu
Mikey
CrashSmAshley
9 posters

Go down

Hikari diets Empty Hikari diets

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-05-22, 13:57

There has been a lot of discussion about ®️Hikari on my other forums and I thought I would bring it to the attention of all of you too. As many of you probably don't know, ®️Hikari changed all of their food formulas a while ago which included adding monosodium glutamate (MSG).

I've always used ®️Hikari, since I got my first fish tank and currently with my bettas and snails (though not without second thoughts...). They were one of the best fish diets around and many agreed...So what happened? Now I'm reading the ingredients and pondering "I wonder what made them do this?". In Betta Bio-Gold®️ the first ingredient used to be fish meal but now it's wheat flour. Now, wheat flour is a binder and contains a good amount of protein, but why was more of it added into the ingredients to make it #1 in the list? It's not detrimental to the diet or anything but for an insectivorous fish it just seems like most of the protein should be deriving from a meat-based ingredient.

In their Algae Wafers™️ fish meal is the #1 ingredient. Where does that make sense? Putting a meat-based ingredient in a herbivorous diet does not seem right...however, I do realize there are many "herbivorous" species that occasionally eat the remains of another dead species and even enjoy the occasional meat treat. For my apple snails their formula does not concern me, but for other fish (butterfy goodeid comes to mind for me; though they can eat very tiny, small fish they do best on vegetable/plant matter) this diet might not want to become their staple.

One last thing I'd like to discuss: monosodium glutamate, better known as MSG, are in all ®️Hikari formulas now. It's true that MSG may be used as a preservative but we can't really tell from their ingredients. Food preservative or flavor enhancer, who knows. But I still would like to know why it's in my fish food. I asked ®️Hikari about this and this was their response:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Understandable, but still the only fish food I know of with MSG in it.

--------------------------------------

What are you guys' thoughts on this topic? Please be respectful of others opinions; Let the discussion begin!
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ashley-Kate-Schneider/781865286

Back to top Go down

Hikari diets Empty Re: Hikari diets

Post  Mikey 2010-05-22, 14:36

I've always used their food, and will continue to do so until there are negative effects on my fish. Don't like the fact that there is MSG in it though.. Crying or Very sad
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-05-22, 14:40

mikeypb234 wrote:I've always used their food, and will continue to do so until there are negative effects on my fish. Don't like the fact that there is MSG in it though.. Crying or Very sad

I'm using it too since it's a food I've always used and haven't had any negative effects. The MSG is really weird though. Hope my fish and snails aren't getting headaches Neutral
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ashley-Kate-Schneider/781865286

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-05-22, 22:22

love me some MSG noodles whats the problem Razz
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-05-22, 23:46

Well in humans MSG causes seriuos side effects
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-05-22, 23:48

sarcastic joke sorry
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Hikari diets Empty msg

Post  aaronfeeney 2010-05-23, 01:26

nothing like tenderizing meat from the inside out
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2010-05-24, 23:30

Yeah msg makes every thing delicious
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-06-02, 19:10

Hikari changed formulas cause someone in their corporation thought it would be more cost effective.. Did anyone hear about this change coming? When was so called research done I never heard about it? Does not mean it didnt happen... However if I have noticed as far as the floating Cichlid gold is concerned you can buy the off-brands and the lack the MSG and usually have a higher protein content (what I look for) also cost a few dollars cheaper.. They will change back to original formula when the market drops out.. Lately the prices for hikari have dropped dramatically I paid 8.99 for huge bag of hikari gold sinking large pellets at jones pets when its 12.99 at pets smart.... Keep eyes on mom and pop shops as they are like us and will lower prices just to get the crap food outta their stores... king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Euphonium 2010-06-02, 20:42

I am baffled by this uproar over MSG in fish foods. The vast majority of premature deaths of aquarium fish seem to be related to avoidable poor aquarium conditions, and there is absolutely no evidence to say MSG has a negative impact on the health or longevity of our fish. Why do people choose to focus their attention and effort on this issue with no particular value while ignoring important issues regarding protecting the health and welfare of animals?

One answer is that people love conspiracy theories: for example: The American Medical Association is in league with physicians to withhold effective therapies that will ruin their business, fluoride is added to water to poison us, and the 911 attacks were staged.

In my life I have seen the horrible aftermath of unreasoned enthusiasm for too many ideas without scientific proof that people refuse to abandon: look up the history of Laetrile for treatment of cancer and DMSO for the treatment of arthritis.

Believe anything you want, but have evidence based studies to support your beliefs, and I don't mean anecdotal evidence or one obscure report.

Euphonium
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-06-03, 01:52

Euphonium wrote:I am baffled by this uproar over MSG in fish foods. The vast majority of premature deaths of aquarium fish seem to be related to avoidable poor aquarium conditions, and there is absolutely no evidence to say MSG has a negative impact on the health or longevity of our fish. Why do people choose to focus their attention and effort on this issue with no particular value while ignoring important issues regarding protecting the health and welfare of animals?

One answer is that people love conspiracy theories: for example: The American Medical Association is in league with physicians to withhold effective therapies that will ruin their business, fluoride is added to water to poison us, and the 911 attacks were staged.

In my life I have seen the horrible aftermath of unreasoned enthusiasm for too many ideas without scientific proof that people refuse to abandon: look up the history of Laetrile for treatment of cancer and DMSO for the treatment of arthritis.

Believe anything you want, but have evidence based studies to support your beliefs, and I don't mean anecdotal evidence or one obscure report.

Perhaps the curious people just want to know why a company would change a good thing ??? king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2010-06-11, 19:15

Euphonium wrote:One answer is that people love conspiracy theories:

Like why 4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum. Why do hot dogs come in a 10 pack and buns in a 8 pack. Its all a conspiracy!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-11, 21:52

My fish won't eat Hikari. They love NLS Cichlid though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down