+3
lilfishie
sidekicking
sandnuka
7 posters

Go down

New SW setup! Empty New SW setup!

Post  Guest 2010-08-21, 20:37

Yeah, I am trying it. Thanks to "lars on" for giving me a bunch of supplies and equipment to get this tank up. I have a substrate of Aragonite and Carib Sea Live Sand. I have a big piece of live rock and a few other pieces in there. Got to get the water up to snuff. Got the salinity and pH where I want it, now just go to wait for it to get clear. I am cycling with 2 AC50's. This is a 25 tall tank. I plan on putting some pretty corals and a few fish, maybe a crab or two.

I'm doing a fishless cycle with this tank.

I'll post some better pics when it clears up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

New SW setup! Empty Re: New SW setup!

Post  sandnuka 2010-08-21, 23:47

Looking good! I will do a sw tank one day..... I will Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-08-21, 23:56

Yeah, this tank should be awesome once it is all set up

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2010-08-22, 14:42

So what kind of live stock are thinking of getting for this set up??
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-08-22, 18:15

sidekicking wrote:So what kind of live stock are thinking of getting for this set up??
lots of pretty corals, a few crabs and a few goby's nothing crazy.

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-08-24, 00:13

Hey great!!!. Take it slow, be paitient and have fun at it.
Lots of luck. Let me know if you would like some soft coral. I cant give it away, but it will be cheep.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-08-24, 02:06

Awesome! The tank is crystal clear now. I am picking up a combo bio filter/protein skimmer tomorrow. I have had the tank up since Saturday. I won't be ready for anything for a little bit, but I will keep it in mind!

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-05, 00:38

Hey, real curious how the tank is coming along. Pics would be cool!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-09-05, 01:52

I am in the hospital still, been here about 2 weeks now. I'll let you know once I get back home next week.

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-05, 11:31

OMG, hope you're going to be okay...Keep us informed. Best wishes...
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  allouttabubblgum 2010-09-10, 02:40

From some one that s only been doing SW for 1 1\2 year now.I would just advise read read read.I am still missing up.The thing that I have learn tho is that gobies are sneaky,they jump.I have lost a orange spotted goby and a green goby same way.All so there are alot of gobies that that don t like to be with others.Might want to do just one goby
allouttabubblgum
allouttabubblgum
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-09-11, 02:12

a 5 lb piece of live rock, 2 feather dusters and 2 emerald crabs now reside in the tank.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2010-09-11, 02:24

the duster looks awesome
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-11, 03:06

wow, water looks crystal, awesome dude.... makin me want to do one.... some day, some day.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 12:34

Those tube worms area beautiful. I love emerald crabs. They are fun critters. Nice start.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  baglel10 2010-09-11, 14:07

lil fishi i need your help you do sw right so what helps cut down on ditoms i have 3 hermit crabs 3 black turbo snails and a scooter blenny and 2 clows (they wont help right?) an 1 cleaner shrimp all in a 29 gal tank and working on adding my 10 gal sump do i need more snails or wrong formula and only 1 snail out of the three is realy active 1 just sits other kinda moves bad snail or bad water?
baglel10
baglel10
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 14:12

Diatoms are a normal process in maturing. It will go away eventually. But get a magfloat cleaner for the glass and just use it to remove it from the glass daily and get a turkey baster and blow off the rocks. I still have it appear on the glass a year and a half old tanks.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  baglel10 2010-09-11, 14:16

what about the sand just move it around a lil it was REALY bad like my whole tank but thanks for the edvice i will put it to use
baglel10
baglel10
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 14:37

Could be just the type of snail. It may not have taken to the acclimation as well as the other one. Do you know what your water parameters are?
Do you have test kits? Not strips but actual chemical kits? Snails do not like high magnesium. They will be sluggish. Check ph level too. Small ammonia levels, nitrite levels will kill them and if they die they will mess up your water paramaters real bad.
Make sure anything you put in the tank has not been exposed to copper. Copper will kill inverts. I think you know that!
Put a couple pieces of mysis in the tank for the crabs. They will love it. Your feeding your clowns and blennie mysis too? And nori? And vitamins?

Has your water cycled yet?
How long has it been set up?
Did you do anything to jumpstart the cycle process?
Are you using rock that was from an existing mature system?
Typically it takes a good 6 weeks to cycle and you dont want to add any livestock for at least 3 months. Could be sacrificing them to the cycle it you do. But if using live rock from a mature system, you may not have much of a cycle.
You have a nice sand bed. Get a couple nassarius snails. They will clean up food in the sandbed. They burry themselves in the sand and can smell food a mile away. When they do, they surface and come running.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 14:39

baglel10 wrote:what about the sand just move it around a lil it was REALY bad like my whole tank but thanks for the edvice i will put it to use

syphon it out when you do water changes. just the top layer. Dont go deep. You dont want to stur up the sand bed too much. It also acts as filtration and holds bacteria for managing ammonias. If it is disturbed to much it may cause an ammonia spike.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-09-11, 14:43

My emeralds were both on top of the live rock this morning but by the time I got the camera, they had scurried away..lol.

The piece of live rock is loaded with purple coraline, the picture does it no justice, I hope that spreads to the other rock in there.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 14:53

Spyral wrote:My emeralds were both on top of the live rock this morning but by the time I got the camera, they had scurried away..lol.

The piece of live rock is loaded with purple coraline, the picture does it no justice, I hope that spreads to the other rock in there.

Emeralds are the best. I love those guys. They can be very entertaining. That one rock your talking about is a nice looking rock. Let me know when you are ready to put some soft coral in there.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-09-11, 15:13

one of my emeralds came out!

and this is a snailzor! it was attached to the feather duster.

Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  baglel10 2010-09-11, 15:37

lilfishie wrote:Could be just the type of snail. It may not have taken to the acclimation as well as the other one. Do you know what your water parameters are?
Do you have test kits? Not strips but actual chemical kits? Snails do not like high magnesium. They will be sluggish. Check ph level too. Small ammonia levels, nitrite levels will kill them and if they die they will mess up your water paramaters real bad.
Make sure anything you put in the tank has not been exposed to copper. Copper will kill inverts. I think you know that!
Put a couple pieces of mysis in the tank for the crabs. They will love it. Your feeding your clowns and blennie mysis too? And nori? And vitamins?

Typically it takes a good 6 weeks to cycle and you dont want to add any livestock for at least 3 months. Could be sacrificing them to the cycle it you do. But if using live rock from a mature system, you may not have much of a cycle.
You have a nice sand bed. Get a couple nassarius snails. They will clean up food in the sandbed. They burry themselves in the sand and can smell food a mile away. When they do, they surface and come running.

you are going to bash me out for this but heres the answeres for all these questions

yes my water has cycled
set up maby 2.5 months
i did not do anything to jumpstart the cycle
my rock is new
and here goes my bad question whats mysis

i didnt think i was feeding them wrong they seem so happy clown play with each other
ill set up a vid for you to help me out thanks dude ill try to get all i need but as im on a budget becouse my income is low as i have said many time im a kid i dont get a weekly monthly allounce i have to work for my money by eather mowing my lawn or going to work with my step dad wich he has not offerd my in a while but ill try my best to get them what they need king
baglel10
baglel10
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 16:22

baglel10 wrote:
lilfishie wrote:Could be just the type of snail. It may not have taken to the acclimation as well as the other one. Do you know what your water parameters are?

you are going to bash me out for this but heres the answeres for all these questions

yes my water has cycled
set up maby 2.5 months
i did not do anything to jumpstart the cycle
my rock is new
and here goes my bad question whats mysis

i didnt think i was feeding them wrong they seem so happy clown play with each other
ill set up a vid for you to help me out thanks dude ill try to get all i need but as im on a budget becouse my income is low as i have said many time im a kid i dont get a weekly monthly allounce i have to work for my money by eather mowing my lawn or going to work with my step dad wich he has not offerd my in a while but ill try my best to get them what they need king

You need a job, I got one for you. I need a lot of yard work done. Weeding to be honest. It may pay enought to feed your fish all year! Of course you have to get here. Sending you PM
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 16:37

Spyral wrote:one of my emeralds came out!

You have some nice rock in there. Have you found any other critters yet that you didnt know you had? I can get you some if you need any. Like mini brittle stars. They are a great part of a clean up crew. Let me know if you would like a couple. I may be able to round a couple up.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-09-11, 17:05

lilfishie wrote:
Spyral wrote:one of my emeralds came out!

You have some nice rock in there. Have you found any other critters yet that you didnt know you had? I can get you some if you need any. Like mini brittle stars. They are a great part of a clean up crew. Let me know if you would like a couple. I may be able to round a couple up.

Awesome, thanks for the offer!! Me and lars found some worm things and a few polyps, a few snails. I am going to get some more live rock at Midway today. I'll post up some more pics once I get it.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 17:43

The worm things, were they these bristle worms?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-09-11, 17:52

here are some other hitchikers that may show up without knowing it. Most are good, except for aptasia and another anemone called majano. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-09-11, 20:15

Just got some more live rock and 2 more feather dusters from Midway..and a Rio protein skimmer. Oh, and 2 blue damsels.

Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down