poffman
Chiisai
DMD123
Denizaari
11 posters

Go down

Got the 90 all setup yesterday Empty Got the 90 all setup yesterday

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-10, 15:27

So this weekend was the final push to get the 90 all set up.  It took a while to get all the items up and rolling.   

Still need to address the smell.  The one thing my wife is not liking.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, I'll try ANYTHING to make her love it!!!

After that, i want to get different rocks so they have more holes to go in and out of.

So here it is:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Got the 90 all setup yesterday Empty Re: Got the 90 all setup yesterday

Post  DMD123 2014-02-10, 15:31

Looking good!  Spot On 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-10, 15:51

What smell? If your water smells fishy then need to do a water change.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-10, 15:54

You think a big water change would help? 40-50%?
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-10, 15:56

MIght be worth a shot unless your tank is just cycling. I just know that I can stick my nose over any of my tanks and get no real smell unless nitrate/nitrite/ammonia is way off. Have you tested the water?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-02-10, 16:19

Nice!!! Looking good Deniz
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-10, 16:59

Thanks guys!!! Really excited to see this tank and all the planning come together. Much thanks to Wes (sirwesdragon) for teaching me!!!
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-10, 17:09

The tank has about close to 50% of original tank water but had to start with new substrate and new canister filter (soak the new sponge with old canister canister juice). Its probably the new substrate silicia. Any suggestions besides water change cause if he does that he just removed alot of the original water with bb. Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia should be low. Ph should be high since he has the ph buffer chems. Follows the directions all should be good on parameters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-10, 17:13

I think I'm going to remove all the rocks and stir the heck out of the sand. Then maybe do a 25% WC. I also went and bought some automatic spray to put by the TV so the wife can't smell the fishyness.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-10, 17:28

Remember we only added only 50% original tank water that has bb. Remove more water you're removing more bb from old tank. My tank had no fishy smell. I did 20-30% water change every 2 weeks. All cichlids were healthy and happy. Be sure to test your water parameters daily or every 2 days to make sure no any spikes in ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Remember we are here for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-10, 18:02

SiRWesDragon wrote:Remember we only added only 50% original tank water that has bb. Remove more water you're removing more bb from old tank. My tank had no fishy smell. I did 20-30% water change every 2 weeks. All cichlids were healthy and happy. Be sure to test your water parameters daily or every 2 days to make sure no any spikes in ammonia,  nitrites, or nitrates. Remember we are here for you.

Yeah I would hold off on doing water changes maybe 5-10gal if your determined. Sounds to me like the water is cycling the other 50% and the substrate got disturbed. I would guess unless you have a spike in amonia the smell should go away pretty quick.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-10, 18:12

Ok. I will keep everyone updated. In the mean time, I'll set up the arsenal of Lysol sprayers in the living room.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-02-10, 18:15

Denizaari wrote:Ok. I will keep everyone updated. In the mean time, I'll set up the arsenal of Lysol sprayers in the living room.  

Do you have a full test kit so you can check everything? Would be helpful to know what your levels are..
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-10, 18:23

Make sure not near the air pump. Air pump might push that good smelling (bad)air in the tank and then belly up. They're still my babies in my heart.

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-10, 19:11

Wes-what do you mean by that?
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-10, 19:31

He means that if the air pump intakes the scent and injects it into the water, it can bring chemicals in.

For smell free water lots of water changes and purigen will do that trick.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-10, 20:08

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:He means that if the air pump intakes the scent and injects it into the water, it can bring chemicals in.

For smell free water lots of water changes and purigen will do that trick.

I agree 

Test test test those water parameters EVERYDAY until your 100% the tank is cycled and stable. Especially if you start changing water out. Even if you did special stuff like introduced bacteria's, used old water, old filter media, still check those levels. Purigen can be spendy but I like it.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-10, 21:53

would you like to borrow my test kit? I'm in Covington so not too far from you.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-11, 00:05

Yeah if you dont have a test kit you REALLY should get one. They have API Master test kits at most fish stores. They are like $30 and should last you along time. I am only on my 2nd kit in like 17yrs. Ammonia bottles have been replaces though. I use those and High range PH more than anything.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-11, 02:35

I do have a master test kit. I did a 30% water change. Added the water conditioner and waited a bit. Checked my levels, here are the results: pH: 7.4; Ammonia, .25ppm; nitrate: 0ppm; nitrate: 0ppm

I just really want to say Thank You to everyone that has replied and has offered their knowledge/support. I am still learning all this and I may have taken a huge leap but I am willing to learn and try my best. I'm constantly watching videos, reading books, asking Wes and reading all the old posts. I think these fish are beautiful and they deserve the best I can give them. :0) Thank You all again!!!

Thoughts on the test results?
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-11, 09:26

Denizaari wrote:I do have a master test kit. I did a 30% water change. Added the water conditioner and waited a bit. Checked my levels, here are the results: pH: 7.4; Ammonia, .25ppm ; nitrate: 0ppm; nitrate: 0ppm

Thoughts on the test results?

Doing great Denizaari, sounds like you've done everything needed for success here kick starting the system. Only suggestion would be to watch the ammonia. I doubt it will raise anymore than what's indicated but you'll want to catch any surprises if they arise.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-02-11, 11:04

Are those the original decorations and rocks in the tank? Were they kept wet, if so?  

I've set up so many tanks over the years and I've never reused water.  I don't know how much beneficial bacteria are in the water; I've always thought it was on the surfaces.  I transfer rocks and mostly used filter material when starting up a new tank.

Like others have said, keep an eye on the water tests.  An ammonia reading makes me think the tank is going through a cycling process.  You'll need to watch for nitrites as well.  

What dechlorinator are you using?  Some might detoxify the ammonia, but will still give a reading on the ammonia test.

One more thing -- Welcome to keeping African cichlids!  cheers 
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-11, 13:10

This set up that came with fishes with new filter(new canister and new sponge), new sand, used tank with stand, and the current decor will replace new lace rock (dry). That is why we used the existing tank water to promote BB in new filters. If I didn't everything will be wack especially the ph.

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-02-11, 20:27

You'll likely see your Ammonia sit at around 0.25ppm for 2-3 days, this is mainly due to the BB trying to re-establish itself. I'd probably recommend a 25% PWC to get it down a bit. I experienced the same ordeal when I upgraded my 29g to a 55g. As long as your had the same stock and haven't added any fish, as well as kept all of the old media filter and transferred it over, then you're good to go. As for the smell, I'm not 100% sure about since I've never experienced any smells before O_O. Great looking tank and fish ^_^!
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-11, 22:43

The smell is getting better. I will do another water test when the kids go to bed. What is everyone's thoughts when it comes to test strips vs master test kits? I have both.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-11, 22:44

Yeppers after a 30% water change if your ammonia is still .25ppm I am betting thats the cause of your fish smell. Hopefully by friday the smell will be gone and your wife will be happy... If not take heart in the fact that the couch isnt such a bad place to sleep  Spot On 
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-11, 22:45

I dont care for the test strips they have to be used fairly soon after opening the bottle. Besides I just love the mad scientist feel of color changing test tubes lol
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-11, 23:55

test kits all the way, cant tell you how many times test strips have failed me. never bought em myself but a buddy gave me some, they read all normal all across the board, then i run a chem kit test and bam 20-40ppm nitrate
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-02-12, 12:05

Test kit.. A tiny bit more work for way more accurate results..
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-12, 12:19

The test kit is the way I'll go. Seems like a little more work but more accurate results. Thanks everyone for all the feedback!!! Have a great week!!!
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  finray56 2014-02-14, 21:31

I have always used charcoal to get rid of smell with no problem. Once your tank is established you can do all the water changes you want as the beneficial bacteria will be present in your substrate and filter media. That's why it's always good to have more than one filter running on your tank so you can clean one without disturbing the other. Be sure to clean your filter media in aquarium water too so as not to kill off the good bacteria.
Ammonia at .25ppm is a little high but it should come down naturally once you reach your biological equilibrium so I would suggest small water changes at first. For the most part your nitrate will probably always hover around the .05- .10 area, if you are trying to reach much lower than that you will end up driving yourself crazy. Good luck with your African tank, they are beautiful fish.
finray56
finray56
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-02-22, 15:07

All is great now. The water has leveled out and the smell is gone!!! Purigen is the greatest thing!!! Thanks everyone!!! Pictures have been posted in the members tank section.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down