Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

+5
LuminousAphid
fishNAbowl
DMD123
bassetman
ShortyKiloGyrl
9 posters

Go down

Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!  Empty Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 10:33

I am so excited! Last night I found they had laid eggs. I figured they would be gone this morning but she was still fanning away. The male is very uninterested in the eggs unlike my other male who basically takes over parenting. But all pairs are different. I'm just hoping they are fertile. So far only a few died as of this morning. Wooo! I've got my Marina exterior breeder box set up already. Excited to see if they grow!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-27, 18:29; edited 1 time in total
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!  Empty Re: Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

Post  bassetman 2014-07-23, 11:15

Fingers crossed for you.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!  Empty Re: Update: Newly paired angels, Veil Zebra and Ghost Pinoy, laid eggs!

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 11:25

Thanks. If I could I would remove the heater she chose to lay on and raise the eggs myself.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-23, 12:14

Congrats!  cheers 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 12:21

Thanks! I'm hoping they don't eat them before they are free swimming. I really want to see how the fry come out for coloration and finage.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-23, 16:23

DMD123 wrote:Congrats!  cheers 

Plus One
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 16:38

Checked at lunch and all are still there!! Still just the few white ones so I'm guessing he fertilized. Typically if eggs are bad they show quicker when laid on the heater.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-07-24, 13:54

should you maybe turn that heater off and use a different one to actually heat the tank? the surface of my heaters can get pretty hot, so hopefully the eggs won't cook

Hope you have luck though, looking forward to seeing little baby angels
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-24, 14:10

I was going to suggest the same thing Lumi ... could very easily have scrambled eggs when the heater clicks on.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 14:30

I panicked the first time my other angels laid on the heater. At the time I wasn't majorly concerned about keeping fry so I let it go to see the results. A few eggs die at the base where the most heat is but the majority of the heater seems safe. I have raised a lot of fry from being left on the heater while it is still active if I leave them in with the parents. If I choose or need to raise myself then I use other methods.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-24, 17:01

Congrats and hopefully all will go well.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 17:04

Pic I took at lunch a few are gone but majority are still there.

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-25, 16:24

Tails are wiggling eye should start to develop soon about 3-4 days they'll be swimming.

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-07-25, 21:57

congrats on the parents not eating them! My pair just laid eggs and I'm crossing my fingers that they don't eat them.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-26, 01:21

They get a huge big fat red F on parenting skills. Grrrr after work they were there. Came home from town and ALL ARE GONE!! They were only 2 days from leaving the parents. I'm not very happy with them right now...
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-07-26, 02:01

Give them another shot, maybe they decided they were too young to settle down and start a family  Laughing 
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-26, 11:46

Oh i'll let them keep going. Too beautiful of a pair not to. I will give them one more shot with raising the babies themselves and then if they eat them again I will separate the eggs from the parents early.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-26, 11:56

I usually give my cichlid pairs at least 5 attempts before pulling eggs, more for notoriously bad parents like german blue rams or domestic angels.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-26, 20:14

I was wrong! I'm so happy to say I was WRONG!! They moved them, like good parents, to where I couldn't see them. But I found them tonight! Yaaaaay!!

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-07-27, 03:12

cheers cheers cheers 
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-29, 13:55

This is the largest batch of fry I've had from any pair so far. I'm excited! I expect today or tomorrow for them to start free swimming. Smile

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-29, 14:03

Congrats!  Clapping 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-29, 14:28

let the feast of a thousand brine shrimps begin! congrats on the pair btw, thats a TON of babies. i hope it all works out for ya Smile at this point id probably consider removing parents personally. ive never had good luck with angels tho lolz.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-29, 14:43

I could separate with a tank divider temporarily but I plan on moving the fry to else where once they start swimming. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-29, 15:41

Wholey ton of babies!!

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-07-29, 15:47

wow they did great for their first time! hopefully the parents don't get hungry.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-29, 15:49

A few died as eggs too. I can only if they all lived! Lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-29, 16:02

ive heard its best to jsut move parents, its up to you either way.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-13, 11:56

Update :
Babies have done so much better with the different containment than the other batches. Mom and dad have laid another batch of eggs and is trying to protect both sets. Apparently they are stellar parents! lol They are even keeping the mystery snails away from the wigglers. Dad pushes them to the other side of the tank to keep them away. With the see through box on the exterior when I am feeding or cleaning they are trying to get me away from the babies. All the while protecting wigglers that are with them in the tank. I won't pull the ones with them, but I will cover the intake with a sponge and see how they do for raising themselves since I already have all of these others right now.

VIDEO (excuse the dirty bottom. I had fed a few mins before)

(chubby bellies, they love the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs now. still feeding fry starter powder as well though)
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-13, 13:17

That's so cool!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-13, 15:06

Thanks I'm excited to see how many come out with the pinoy coloration. A few are already pretty dark. Or if any develop the veil fins.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-08-13, 17:28

wow you are so lucky!! my pair just cant get it right.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-13, 17:39

Oh man, two in my community tank are laying with one male lol I could have 4 batches of fry if I wanted.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-13, 21:20

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Oh man, two in my community tank are laying with one male lol I could have 4 batches of fry if I wanted.

LOL Shorty.... Your going to need a 30 gallon tank for fry, and a 55 gallon grow out.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-13, 22:34

No kidding. If I could make a decent profit off of it, it would be worth it. But this is more so for fun since I can't sell them in large amounts.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-27, 18:02

Update: as of today I have 62 from the first batch and 16 from the second. Will post some pictures soon.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2014-08-27, 19:01

Sounds like quite a herd of fry.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-27, 21:20

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Update: as of today I have 62 from the first batch and 16 from the second. Will post some pictures soon.

Spot On - wow!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-28, 00:54

Here are some pics Smile

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-28, 23:13

What in the world are you going to do with all these babies?!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-28, 23:20

Sell them Smile I have one friend who wants a couple and my mom might take one and I'll take her mean one that won't leave the handicapped one alone.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down