Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids

+3
fishNAbowl
Gryphon
cichlid-gal
7 posters

Go down

Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids Empty Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-13, 17:01

Title says it all...whats the easiest way to get these dang plastic strips onto the glass. I hate struggling with them and am always afraid I'm going to break the darn lid. There must be an easier way. Is there something that can be used to lubricate the plastic track that is not harmful to the fish? In the past I have resorted to using a screwdriver to pry the lips of the track further apart so that I can slide the thing on the tank. Again...there must be an easier way.

Head Wall Head Wall Head Wall Head Wall Head Wall 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids Empty Re: Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids

Post  Gryphon 2014-07-13, 17:48

Maybe a light smear of petroleum jelly might help.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids Empty Re: Tips for fitting clear versa top vinyl strips onto glass lids

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-13, 18:11

Plastic strip? Is it the plastic for the very back? The one we cut to fit around all the equipment? If so I usually slide it on slowly starting from one end. Wetting it helps. Not the best lube, but it may help. This works best for me if I lay the versa top on a table. Or stand it on end on the carpet. Then slide the plastic strip on.

Otherwise, match up the two and work it on little by little starting from one end and work your way to the other end...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-13, 18:13

If it's still giving you trouble maybe find a way to heat the plastic making it more pliable. Like maybe soaking the plastic in warm or hot water?

(Just something that popped into my head)
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-13, 19:08

I have never used those plastic extensions on my tanks and have never had any problems.  But while on vacation, I now have had two fish disappear in one tank.  All were out the back and on the floor.  I'm sick.  I don't have the sitter turn the lights on every day and I don't know if when they are turned on it spooks the fish or what but this stinks.  And July 4th, I had one of my new Tanganyikans jump ship out of the big 125G.  Was watching TV and thought I heard something but I just didn't see it until the next morning.  It must have flopped all the way from the back of the tank to the front.  Again...sick.

Anyway...resorting to putting the stupid plastic extensions on the tanks.  I got them on but geez...its such a frigging chore.  On one, I had to use the end of the screwdriver like a hammer and drive the thing down the glass...it was wet and so was the glass but it didn't want to slide.  

Gryphon...I'll have to try the petroleum jelly on the next one.  I still have a couple of them to do.  Just dragging my feet.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-13, 19:25

Ugh.

My son's gold fish took a flying leap out of the 9.5 gallon (open top) just the other day. He will be a bit disappointed when he gets home.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  plaamoo 2014-07-13, 19:31

It sounds like you're doing it the hard way. Just pop it on the way it sits. If you start at the end and try to slide it down that's a lot of friction.

plaamoo
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-07-14, 12:53

plaamoo wrote:If you start at the end and try to slide it down that's a lot of friction.

Yep, that is the WRONG way to do it (I learnt the hard way my first time! Smile)

I find that it is easiest to get one corner in at an angle, spreading the plastic so it fits around the glass on that one corner. Then popping it along the way. Two or three lids later it became like riding a bicycle! Smile
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2014-07-14, 13:06

I did the same as MRTon said, but i also sprayed some Windex on there to lube it up a little.. Slid right on, and got to clean all my finger prints off too.. Smile
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-14, 13:48

Well maybe its because my plastic has sat around for a while but I don't think it will "POP" onto anything. It's pretty stiff and I can't pry it at all with my fingers so I'm not sure how to pop it either. Oh well, a couple of tanks are done...a few more to do. I'll get it. Thanks for the input everyone Smile
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-14, 15:45

Wouldn't the plastic get more pliable if you soaked it in warm water? Or, maybe just set it onto the side walk on a hot summer afternoon. The plastic will get warm and become a bit softer (in theory).
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-07-14, 18:07

I would try a hair dryer or a heat gun.

I agree; those things can be really tough to pop on.  Shocked 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down