Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update!

2 posters

Go down

Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update! Empty Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update!

Post  bronzefighter 2014-05-19, 16:04

I snagged this plant from a pond and have no idea what it is, and it recently began to flower. Any idea?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sidenote, this is also the tank that I'm going to be using for the great pond race, and it currently has a single shubunkin fry from the GSAS auction. He's grown so much!

bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update! Empty Re: Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update!

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-05-19, 17:20

Hi bronzefighter,

That could be loosestife (Lysimachia vulgaris) a noxious weed in King County and I believe also the State of Washington. If it is then it is a very invasive weed typically found along waterways, lakes, and ditches; compost with care.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update! Empty Re: Mystery Plant ID & Goldfish Race Bonus Update!

Post  bronzefighter 2014-05-19, 17:49

Seattle_Aquarist wrote:Hi bronzefighter,

That could be loosestife (Lysimachia vulgaris) a noxious weed in King County and I believe also the State of Washington.  If it is then it is a very invasive weed typically found along waterways, lakes, and ditches; compost with care.

Possibly...though I'm looking at pictures of Garden and Purple Loosestrife and the flowers grow in a different arrangement. Maybe Decodon verticillatus aka Swamp Loosestrife?
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-05-19, 18:59

Hi bronzefighter,

Possible; and you are correct that the flowers are the best way to identify the species. It is difficult to make out the flower shape, pistels, and stamen in the picture but that is the proper way to identify the species. Don't go by the arrangement (quantity or density) of the flowers because that can vary substantially depending upon light intensity and duration.

Here is a purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) in low light condition.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-05-19, 19:18

That looks extremely similar, thanks! And this stuff does grow like an invasive weed, though the little shubunkin(who my wife has dubbed Wolfie) seems to enjoy it. I suppose once summer is done and this tank is torn down I'll have to dispose of it properly then. Thanks for your help Roy!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down