+5
dwarfpike
Betty
DMD123
fishNAbowl
hose91
9 posters

Go down

Checking in from the West Sound... Empty Checking in from the West Sound...

Post  hose91 2014-04-08, 21:53

Greetings all,

New to the hobby after a spectacular failed stint as a teenage fishkeeper some many years ago!  I'm starting my first tank, a 75G African Mbuna tank, and based on my kids/wife's response, it is likely not my last!  

I'm transitioning after recently retiring from the Navy, and am back in grad school at UW til the end of the year.  Now was a great time to try another tank.  I've enjoyed poking around on the forums here, and although Edmonds is a bit of a trip from Bainbridge (but not as much as Angelo's from Bremerton!), I made it up to the store last week, and was really impressed.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone and check out all the other stuff besides the Mbuna.  This hobby looks like it could easily cross into addiction territory!  

Here's the space I started with:
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0010

Found this 75G acrylic tank I on Craigslist, 48"W x1 5"D x 24"H, painted it black, ordered a couple canister filters and LED light
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0013

Stumbled onto a landscape rock/quarry yard down near Bremerton, picked up a ton of rock.  Not literally.  Literally I think it was 300 lbs.   Very Happy  Made a footprint template and tried my hand at stacking.  First effort...
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0012
The stacking looked a little funky, so before we moved it up to its final spot, I tried again...
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0014
Now with Pool Filter Sand and water...
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0015
From the side...
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0016
and lastly, my trusty sidekick and assistant Fishkeeper, Bentley...
Checking in from the West Sound... Dsc_0017
He's quite helpful, all 155 pounds of him.  

So, the tank has been cycling for a week.  I got some Fritz-zyme from Angelo, and it's processing ammonia pretty well, just waiting for nitrites to come down.  I'm working on the stock plan, probably make a trip south to Portland in a couple weeks, once the tank is ready.  I'd like to see the first batch of fish we put in there in person, if possible, and I've heard really good things about the Wet Spot, so....Road trip.

Glad to be on the FishBox!
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Checking in from the West Sound... Empty Re: Checking in from the West Sound...

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-08, 22:07

Welcome back to the hobby hose91. I appreciate you sharing your build :)Looks like an awesome start. If you haven't ever been to the Wetspot then I would definitely recommend going at lest once. It's a huge place with many species large and small.

Bentley's got everyone here (at home) wanting a dog, thanks....lol

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-04-09, 00:04; edited 1 time in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-08, 22:21

Welcome! 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-04-08, 22:27

Nice looking setup.  Good that you have egg crate under those rocks with the way most mbuna dig.

Is Bentley a Newfie?  I have a Newfie/lab -- not as big as your boy, but looks similar.  Smile
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hose91 2014-04-08, 22:35

Thanks for the welcomes! Bentley is indeed a Newfie. We've always had labs, after the last passed, our oldest boy was looking for BIG, so we researched and found the breed. He's a gentle giant, but is a bit hard on the house in general. Fur, and slobber, and just general sloppiness. He fits in well with our 3 boys and coonhound. Fish only add to the merry mix!

The eggcrate definitely helped. It's acrylic, so I'm less nervous than I could be about the rocks crashing out of the tank. They're all firmly planted on the eggcrate, or otherwise pretty stable. The two big ones in the middle almost fit together like a puzzle, I was shocked when I tried that the first time. I was looking for height, and the stacking "lincoln log" thing wasn't really working for me, and when I put them on top of each other they just "locked" together. I was pleased. Looking forward to putting live fish in it!
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-04-08, 22:36

Puppy!!!!

Welcome! 
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-04-08, 22:59

hose91 wrote: He's a gentle giant, but is a bit hard on the house in general.  Fur, and slobber, and just general sloppiness.  He fits in well with our 3 boys and coonhound.  Fish only add to the merry mix!

Our other dog is a basset hound.  Very Happy 
We've always had labs as well and were looking for another, but the rescue told us about this mix that had been taken to the vet to be put to sleep for no good reason.  We decided to give him a home and can't understand why he was given up.  He's the sweetest dog.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-04-08, 23:19

Hello!!! Fellow UW student here XP though I'm from the opposite direction...commuting from Spanaway/Fort Lewis is not the fastest way ever...lol and funnier is I actually know where Bainbridge is XP used to live in Seabeck Smile Fishkeeping....crosses into addiction VERY fast. lol I just set aside a vase a few days ago to see if I can raise a few shrimplets any faster then they're currently growing due to grass diving endlers >>
You're sidekick is 3x the size of mine 0.o hope he doesn't have the same habit of pushing his nose between your arms when tending lower tanks LOL kinda hard to catch fish when the dog keeps nudging your elbow "out of the way". Mines a lab/pit and adorable if a little retarded. The Wet Spot is fantastic. Every time I visit I end up zoning out looking everywhere.
Welcome to the hobby!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-04-08, 23:45

Welcome! 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-04-09, 00:01

Welcome!

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-04-09, 00:11

Welcome to the box! Looking forward to the tank updates!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-04-09, 07:58

Thanks for the great share above.  Lots of good folks on here with lots of great knowledge.  I know you will have fun with this group.  It looks like you have put a lot of thought into your startup.  That 75G tank is a beauty.  Nice job on your rock layout (just make sure all rocks and particularly that tall one are secure and stable so you don't have any tumbles...I would take that tall one and make sure it was secure on the bottom - maybe leaning it a bit with a big rock placed at one end to hold it from sliding and another rock placed on the other side to hold it up and then that stabalizing rock having a number of other rocks around it/on it for stability).  Make sure to share updates as you get your stocking in.  And I'm so envious of your trip to Wetspot...its a great store.  Your newfie is lovely.  Great dogs.  My doggy friend is a Papillon (about 6 pounds in size...LOL).

Anyway...welcome (Hi Paul)...glad you made it to the box.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down