Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace

5 posters

Go down

Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace Empty Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-12, 23:45

Anyone know where I can find one? I'd like to take out the hood portion, so I can fit more than one light fixture in there, unfortunately, my 55 gallon tank doesn't have a center brace, I guess it's one of the older tanks...?

Amazon isn't helping me at all, I can't seem to find any on google...maybe I'm just doing a wrong search?

Anyway, if anyone can point me into the right direction, or possibly find another way, where I can put some kind of lid that's similar to a glass cover, that would be great!

I'm not particularly fond of the Green House Siding/Perforated plastic sheets that you have to cut, because it gets a bit wobbly when the sheets get longer (no matter what orientation you cut them at). I s'pose that also knocks acrylic out of the suggestion list as well.

The only thing I can think of, is to just buy glass at lowes/home depot and have them cut it to size... but... I figured I'd ask here first, before going down that route.

My only concern is that the glass would end up bowing, because a 55 gallon tank is 48" in length... I guess that's why most 55 gallon tanks today have a center brace, so you can add two smaller glass tops (blech...)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace Empty Re: Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:18

Why do you put a piece of 1-3" metal in the middle and have a faux metal brace. Then you can go to lowe's and have them cut 4 pieces of glass to fit. They sell a 30x36 for $19. Then you can get either plastic hinges and mount them or buy an 8' piece of corner tile molding and cut that to put in the recesed edges. I made my own versa top and the adhesive for the plastic hinges keeps coming apart. I'm now switching to the slider version mentioned above. Just a thought to help you out.

Side bar thought...when you put the faux center brace in you may have a difficult time with the molding in the center. You might be able to use a hot glue gun and attach the molding to that prior to final install. It might not be wrong enough though. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for ya.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace Empty Re: Glass Cover for a 55 Gallon Aquarium That Has No Center Brace

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 00:20

Denizaari: I wouldn't know where to get a metal brace in the first place. lol =P But yeah, if I DID have access to anyone that bended metal (there used to be a member on here that would bend metal, and even made me a metal brace for my 100 gallon tank, but I don't know if he's active on here anymore, his name is Addicted2CAs or something like that)

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:22

I read an old thread that he posted about a shim for his tank that had a slow leak on the back side. Not sure if he's still around because I'm pretty new to the BOX. I would imagine that you could get an "L" bracket used for hanging shelves and take a grinder or hacksaw and cut it down. Where do you live?
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 00:26

Oh I remember that thread too!! LOL!! I live in Bremerton Smile
When Addicted2CAs made me the metal brace for my 100 gallon tank, I met up with him near here, because he usually visits his parents up north, so he passes through Bremerton pretty frequently.

Looks like his last log-in date was last year, Dec 2013... so, he still goes on here periodically, just not often. =D
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:27

I have a thought. I saw at lowes...they have material to make metal work. I think it's called angle iron. They sell them in various lengths. They may cut that if you ask nicely. Then you can make a faux brace.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 00:28

Hmm.. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I'll have to check that out, next time I'm at Lowes. Thanks for the heads up!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:31

No problem. I'm heading to lowes on Friday to redo my glass. If I see it i will see if I could think of a solution. Sorry I can't help more.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 00:32

Thanks! And you don't have to be sorry at all! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:33

:0)
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-03-13, 00:33

When the center brace on one of my tanks broke, I siliconed in a piece of glass to replace it. Could you do that so you can use the two 24 inch tops?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 00:35

Betty, wow I never thought of doing that, but I think that though totally work!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:37

But then the glass on the sides wouldn't be even. You would have to place a piece of glass on the right and left side so the versa too can sit on them. Or is it too late and I'm not seeing it?
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:38

Never mind. I see it now!!! That should work!!!
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-13, 00:41

If you want you can have my glass tops. They're 22" wide by 14" deep. They have the hinges in place you just need to make sure the glue stays. Do t know if you'll be in the Renton area but I'll give them to you for free.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-13, 01:15

Spot On - thumbs up for both suggestions. Maybe a bit easier to find and mod metal yourself. The glass would have to be cut but I don't think it would be that expensive. Unless yOu know how to cUt thick glass?!

Last edited by fishNAbowl on 2014-03-13, 01:18; edited 2 times in total
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-03-13, 01:17

I siliconed mine in right under the top trim.  It's a tiny bit uneven, but it's not noticeable, especially with the light fixture going across the entire tank.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 01:30

Wow that would be great, thanks! I'm not sure when I'm heading to Renton, but I will let you know when I do head over there! Thank you so much once again!

Betty, you rock so much! I think I will give that a try! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-03-13, 01:53

Which is never. Pokie will not drive that far. Jk. Renton is hella far from b-town but you could drive from co-op (Edmonds) to renton then seattle ferry to b-town. How is that commute gonna take?

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-13, 03:40

Wes, you never know when I could pass by. I might be running an errand on my face these days, or I can stop by Renton if I'm going to a fire spinning gig. Just depends.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-03-18, 14:04

So, when I took off the hood, there was the center brace! It was HIDDEN!!! Ugh. I feel so stupid! LOL.. so now I can just order ones off of Dr. Foster & Smith, looks like the space is 23 inches so, the ones on that site would fit perfectly! I'm stoked!! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-03-18, 15:25

We would have never known.... LOL

Glad it worked out!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-03-18, 15:26

PokeSephiroth wrote:So, when I took off the hood, there was the center brace! It was HIDDEN!!! Ugh. I feel so stupid! LOL.. so now I can just order ones off of Dr. Foster & Smith, looks like the space is 23 inches so, the ones on that site would fit perfectly! I'm stoked!! Very Happy

lol! .oO Nice, problem solved with ease. Can't beat that!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-03-18, 16:13

Insert finger in left eye...
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down