Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front?

+3
hobbyorobsession
poffman
anderson_p_r
7 posters

Go down

Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front? Empty Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front?

Post  anderson_p_r 2014-01-31, 15:53

I'm thinking about building something like this for my 45g but was wondering if anyone has done anything similar before?  It would be similar to the pic, but the front and sides would all be solid panels.  The idea being that you lift away the fascia piece for maintenance access. I was quoted $1300 to have one built, I'm sure I could do something decent for a fraction of that. I could probably do something amazing for $300 Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front? Empty Re: Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front?

Post  poffman 2014-01-31, 16:01

So the tank would be on top of the back piece, and the front would be over the tank?
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front? Empty Re: Anyone built a DIY stand with a removable fascia front?

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-01-31, 18:20

i think it would be easier to have the sides attached and just the front part be removable.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-01-31, 19:10

Thats sweet stand cover. But I agree with Daniel aka hobbyorobsession on sides be stationary and only front be removable.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2014-01-31, 21:19

I built a bowfront facia and used Velcro to attach it in place. Easy remove-replace.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-01, 02:56

I'll have to take some pics of mine. But I used like cabinet thingies that keep the doors closed. and a steel plate to tuck behind a 2x4. I'll go grab some pics now
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-01, 03:03

first pic is blurry, but you get the idea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bottom lip where the plate mates up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes I need to clean up around my tank, sand, timer sticker, airpump box.... Time.. if only I had it Razz
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2014-02-01, 16:33

I think you could build something for less than 300$
assuming you already own woodworking tools
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2014-02-01, 17:06

I'm a pretty handy guy. I'm actually considering welding up a metal stand, which is why the sides would also be removable. Though I suppose they could be permanently attached to the metal, I like the idea of full access underneath.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2014-02-01, 22:40

with a metal stand, just glue a few magnets to some wood veneer to line up with the stands frame. That should do the trick.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  freddieb 2014-04-01, 23:36

I built a stand for my 100 gallon with 1/2 inch plywood for the back, sides and front cutout. Then used oak for the doors. I've seen metal stands for truly big tanks and may be overkill for a 45 gallon. For $300, you can make a really nice wooden stand with custom trim and mahogany or wood fascia. If you look at the stands that local fish stores sell, they're made of particle board!

freddieb
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-01, 23:58

freddieb wrote: If you look at the stands that local fish stores sell, they're made of particle board!

You should say most. My store only sells actual wood or metal stands.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  freddieb 2014-04-02, 00:00

But you're no ordinary store. Wink. Wink. ;-)

freddieb
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down