Maxspin
KaraWolf
Nick_87
Chiisai
fishNAbowl
CrazedAce
13 posters

Go down

Looking For Rocks! Empty Looking For Rocks!

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-06, 00:49

So I'm going to admit that my tanks aren't very pretty. Terracotta pots and random decorations take away from what I want my aquariums to look like. I was wondering if anyone knew of any place in WA or OR that I could find worthwhile rocks. From what I hear, lace rock would be ideal, but I'm also interested in anything that would look better than a clay pot! I've been searching, but can't find anything good.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Looking For Rocks! Empty Re: Looking For Rocks!

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-06, 01:33

I used to hunt down and wonder through large landscape/stone nurseries to find rocks and gather ideas. I've worked with granite , slate, lava rock, petrified woods. It seems every 12 -18 months I would re-scape when I worked with rocks. It kept things fresh to change things up every once in a while.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-06, 01:57

Yeah I goto my local bark/gravel place. Ask them for "flagstone" they usually keep a crate of all the small broken off pieces(less then 12" diameter" as free samples. Worse comes to worse you have to pay the price for the rock (usually about 30 cents a pound).
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2014-01-06, 02:23

I have a bunch of lace rock from my Malawi tank I got rid of that I was just thinking of selling today. I have a bunch of pieces. Maybe I'll put up some pics of the pieces if your interested.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-01-06, 02:57

these guys are supposed to have some cool rock:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
They were a Craigslist find:
Pictures are from the add that doesn't exist anymore. I love the rainbow rock but I'm too far and don't need more rock.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxspin 2014-01-06, 13:25

Great Western Supply in Lacey has a large selection of rock. In addition to the flagstone, they also have 1 man rocks. No lace rock :-( No large lava rock :-(

Keith

Maxspin
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-01-06, 14:22

Nice thing about living in Washington is there are rocks all over the place, just drive around or make a day trip to the mountains or a local river...

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-01-06, 14:28

CrazedAce wrote:So I'm going to admit that my tanks aren't very pretty. Terracotta pots and random decorations take away from what I want my aquariums to look like. I was wondering if anyone knew of any place in WA or OR that I could find worthwhile rocks. From what I hear, lace rock would be ideal, but I'm also interested in anything that would look better than a clay pot! I've been searching, but can't find anything good.

Hi CrazedAce,

Yes, there are lots of interesting rocks to be found in Washington such as columnar basalt; these are about 4" diameter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-01-06, 14:31

Love the colors on that Roy!!! What trail did you find those by?
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-01-06, 14:50

Hi dwarfpike,

Thank you! Those came from Eastern Washington / Columbia Basin.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFishPimp 2014-01-06, 15:43

Hey guys, there's a place in South Seattle in the SoDo District called coverall stone. They sell an unbelievable variety of ornate stones and rocks. And they have their own quarry from which they pull basalt. They sell columns in multiple sizes and shapes, drilled for bubblers for a little more money. But the beauty is they have a being followed smaller pieces cut flat so you can sili them to the tank bottom. I have what we have dubbed "the hall of columns "in my big trophy us tank. Check them out.

TFP

TheFishPimp
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-06, 16:06

KaraWolf wrote:these guys are supposed to have some cool rock:
They were a Craigslist find:
Pictures are from the add that doesn't exist anymore. I love the rainbow rock but I'm too far and don't need more rock.

That's where I got the pot rock for my malawi tank. Lots of interesting shapes and different types of stones, I managed to talk the price down after one of the workers slipped and told me the profit margin on the last shipment  Razz 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-06, 17:05

Maxspin wrote:Great Western Supply in Lacey has a large selection of rock. In addition to the flagstone, they also have 1 man rocks. No lace rock :-(    No large lava rock :-(

Keith

It says their sister site is "The Barn Nursery"; is this the landscaping business located directly next to them? If so, I was just there yesterday and wasn't impressed much. They have flagstone, but most of the stuff I was interested in was either extremely brittle or shiny (my previous research told me this leaks lead into the tank, try or not?).

It would be nice to find some actual slate nearby and not paying $5 for a small broken piece at Petco.

I've also read about buying tiles at a hardware store, slotting them, and then shaping to make it looks natural, though that seems tedious and hardly worth the end product.

And Snohomish is way too far north. I should have said I was in the Olympia area. But I'd rather travel down south to Oregon. I've already been told by a frequent customer that Issaquah is a good place for lace rock, so if I have to go north, that's probably the furthest I'll go.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-06, 19:16

CrazedAce wrote:
It says their sister site is "The Barn Nursery"; is this the landscaping business located directly next to them? If so, I was just there yesterday and wasn't impressed much. They have flagstone, but most of the stuff I was interested in was either extremely brittle or shiny (my previous research told me this leaks lead into the tank, try or not?).

It would be nice to find some actual slate nearby and not paying $5 for a small broken piece at Petco.

I've also read about buying tiles at a hardware store, slotting them, and then shaping to make it looks natural, though that seems tedious and hardly worth the end product.

ANy nursery/landscaping place that sells flagstone should have slate... If they dont then they should be able to tell you which of their competitors carry the popular stone that they for some reason should but dont have.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-06, 20:00

TheFishPimp wrote:Hey guys, there's a place in South Seattle in the SoDo District called coverall stone. They sell an unbelievable variety of ornate stones and rocks. And they have their own quarry from which they pull basalt. They sell columns in multiple sizes and shapes, drilled for bubblers for a little more money. But the beauty is they have a being followed smaller pieces cut flat so you can sili them to the tank bottom. I have what we have dubbed "the hall of columns "in my big trophy us tank. Check them out.

TFP

I'd love to see those basalt columns...where is a pic?
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2014-01-06, 22:55

cichlid-gal wrote:
TheFishPimp wrote:Hey guys, there's a place in South Seattle in the SoDo District called coverall stone. They sell an unbelievable variety of ornate stones and rocks. And they have their own quarry from which they pull basalt. They sell columns in multiple sizes and shapes, drilled for bubblers for a little more money. But the beauty is they have a being followed smaller pieces cut flat so you can sili them to the tank bottom. I have what we have dubbed "the hall of columns "in my big trophy us tank. Check them out.

TFP

I'd love to see those basalt columns...where is a pic?

Take a drive through the canyon or up and over to Yakima, plenty of rocks to be had, might not be basalt but very close!

Not directed at you Donna, but I don't get buying rocks specially slate, good lord we live in one of the greatest parts of the country that have rocks that are free, just gotta get out of the basement and look around...

Not many natural fish environment's that slate is common.. Guess beauty in the eye of the beholder or the check book..

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-07, 00:02

Got family members on the E side of the mountains that were rock hounds for decades. Last year one moved from the family home and I got my pickings of rocks including petrified woods.

We have a rock garden/landscape business near us that have piles and bins of their "broken" rubble. I've gotten many good pieces of rocks out of there for pennies on the dollar. All though I don't mind going to the mountains, for that instant find nothing beats a large landscape place for variety.
EXAMPLE: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I've gotten a lot of "just that right size" pieces of slate here. Slate is cool to work with. You can cut, shape, glue shapes together. I now use cut slate strips it in my 140 manly for barriers to hold back levels of substrate and plants that like to spread all over (like barriers in the outside garden to hold back root spreading plants like mint and berry bushes). I believe they even have Holy rock at this location...

Searching through the Internet I found 1 or 2 nurseries near the Shelton area. I cannot vouch for quality or if they have the rocks you are looking for but it's a start.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-01-07, 00:53

Crazed Ace what effect are you looking for? Color/pattern shapes??
Cichlid-gal, A drive west to the North entrace of the Quincey game range just off S.R. 28 range will net you some of that columar balsalt. This is owned by the Department of Fish & Wildlife and is open for fishing, hunting upland gamebirds, rattlesnakes, and rocks!
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-07, 03:33

I'm basically just looking for aquarium safe rocks, mainly lace rock and slate. Flag stone is what most nurseries carry, but not slate. The only slate pieces I've found thus far have been sand stone, which I could peel with just my fingers. Generally soft wood/rock is never a good idea, so I'm still looking. And I have some pieces from Manufacturers Minerals in Renton that I split, but it is shiny, and from research on the web I was told that it may leak lead into the tank.

But it seems like I will have to travel, and north sounds promising. Lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-07, 15:20

TFP

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFishPimp 2014-01-07, 15:42

There you go Cichlid-Gal. Sorry it took so long but I haven't got the hang of posting pics yet. The background you see is the handiwork of my creative as HELL wife. All from scratch and 4 coats of Dry-Lock....

TFP

TheFishPimp
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-07, 23:57

That is just too cool! Got any pics of it up and running?
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFishPimp 2014-01-08, 00:11

Just finished fillin it a few hrs ago but the sand is SO fine the water is too cloudy to anything. Will see how things clear up over night...may have to do another 100% WC.

TFP

TheFishPimp
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-08, 17:41

TheFishPimp wrote:There you go Cichlid-Gal. Sorry it took so long but I haven't got the hang of posting pics yet. The background you see is the handiwork of my creative as HELL wife. All from scratch and 4 coats of Dry-Lock....

TFP

Thanks...liking the look of that...I had a thought last year to do some basalt columns but never got them picked up and they are so stinking heavy...but most of my rock is basalt anyway. I worried about the columns tipping over. Just don't bump em or the tank.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFishPimp 2014-01-08, 23:48

Seriously no worries at all about gravity inspired tragedy...4 spots of silicone the size of thumbtack. It would take concerted effort to knock one down but easily removed by a razor.

Almost clear enough to take some pics...in the AM.

TFP

TheFishPimp
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down