Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater?

+3
Kaosu
Lamental Jester
LuminousAphid
7 posters

Go down

Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater? Empty Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater?

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-24, 16:01

They are kind of blue-greenish, and some of them have little vugs and even pieces of what looks like quartz still attached to them, like the big one in the middle:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is a closer pic, don't know if it helps or not.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's kind of hard to see the color or patterning that they have, but they are a really neat looking type of rock. I put a small piece in my 10 gallon tank, and so far I notice no change in the water parameters. It seems like a really hard type of rock, but I'm no good at remembering what types of rock are which. It's been weathered really smooth because I found all these pieces at the beach, where they had broken off much bigger rocks. I don't know where they originally came from, but it looks like the big ones were part of the rock they originally put down to support the railroad along the sound, not naturally occurring.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater? Empty Re: Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater?

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-24, 16:15

I love collecting rocks on the beach for my tanks! I just scub and boil them, and they're good to go. I tend to avoid rocks around the train tracks though, I don't know why, but my gut always says no, lol

But if you've already tested it in your 10 gal and everything is fine, then I say go nuts! Spot On 
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater? Empty Re: Anyone ever used rocks like this for freshwater?

Post  Kaosu 2013-10-24, 16:32

it looks like slate, I dont see why after cleaning you could not use them.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-10-24, 20:05

Those look like neat rocks, you should bring some to the next swap meet Smile
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  plaamoo 2013-10-24, 23:04

A TDS meter is a handy tool for collecting rocks for fish tanks. I won't put anything in my tanks without first testing them for leaching.

plaamoo
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-10-24, 23:08

...i've always heard to add some vinegar on them and make sure they don't "fizz"
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-24, 23:11

Kaosu wrote:it looks like slate, I dont see why after cleaning you could not use them.
I've worked with a lot of slate. Have a bunch in my garage. Not sure what these rocks are but don't think its slate...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  plaamoo 2013-10-25, 00:14

This it?   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Worth a read,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

plaamoo
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-10-25, 00:57

plaamoo wrote:This it?   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Worth a read,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nice article! Plus One 
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down