Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but,

5 posters

Go down

Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but, Empty Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but,

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-30, 01:48

I just have to say I am happy to hear that they are finally able to breed Denison Barbs in captivity. Well, still hard for normal hobbyists to breed but possible for fish farms and possible for large aquarium breeders so I read but still, this species is being harvested from its natural habitat to the brink of extinction. When I was a new hobbyist I did raise a school. When I learned of the destruction of these fish and the fact they could not be bred in captivity I stopped housing them, and stopped recommending them to friends.  

This is a very beautiful fish, one of my very top favorites in larger planted aquariums.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but, Empty Re: Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but,

Post  MRTom 2013-11-30, 04:30

Can you post a link to where you read about the breeding success? Would like to learn more. Also, didn't these guys just get moved to Sahyadria?
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but, Empty Re: Normally I wouldn't post something so dumb but,

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-30, 13:15

Dang, searching my history, the read isn't coming up, sorry.
I started researching it after talking to Cory @ Aquarium CoOp & found that there is no info about ppl in the home breeding all though there are rare reports. Breeding was taking place in large farms some using hormones. There was a couple places in Europe that was successful with breeding. If I bump into the link again I will definitely post it.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-30, 13:22

Please provide the link to help reduce wild caught fishes coming to the hobby. Breed not eradicate them from the wild. Thanks chad.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-30, 13:33

fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-30, 14:34

"Denison barb threats

One of India’s most celebrated ornamental fishes, the Denison barb has suffered huge declines as a result of its popularity. In the absence of catch limits, the single most significant threat to this species is unsustainable collection for the pet trade. It has declined at an alarming rate of around 70 percent since 2004 and is now reduced to highly fragmented, relict populations" from one of the link above.

This is sad.Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-30, 14:46

SiRWesDragon wrote:"Denison barb threats

One of India’s most celebrated ornamental fishes, the Denison barb has suffered huge declines as a result of its popularity. In the absence of catch limits, the single most significant threat to this species is unsustainable collection for the pet trade. It has declined at an alarming rate of around 70 percent since 2004 and is now reduced to highly fragmented, relict populations" from one of the link above.

This is sad.Sad
Correct, very sad. We have heard this story many times with other species. So I am happy to hear that captive breeding is beginning to be successful. The governments are taking measures to protect this species in the wild which is a good thing.

Also, on a side note with successful captive breeding the price may go down. A 2" fish can cost upwards of $20.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-11-30, 17:13

That's good that there is an alternate way to acquire these fish, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the collectors in India will stop catching them. I can imagine prices for wild-caught individuals staying lower than captive bred for a while, at least until domestic breeding programs get underway. At least if they do collect them to extinction, there will be some still available as a captive bred species.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-30, 18:53

Wetspots article on the Roseline Shark aka Denisons Barb or Puntius denisonii

I have a very large one of these. My daughter bought it for my grandson. After reading about them I noted the IUCN redlist on them and never added any more to our group. The one that we have seems very happy in our community tank and gets along well with the other fish that I have. I have no idea where he originated but he was not sold as wild caught. My daughter purchased him at the LFS in Moses Lake. It would make me very sad to think that he was taken from the wild, depleting his beautiful species and moving it further towards extinction.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfalcons 2013-12-01, 13:19

Also, on a side note with successful captive breeding the price may go down. A 2" fish can cost upwards of $20.
For 20 bucks, that might be captive bred.  They used to go for 70.  I got my school for 20 each.

Flyfalcons
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-01, 13:24

Flyfalcons wrote:

For 20 bucks, that might be captive bred.  They used to go for 70.  I got my school for 20 each.
Very well could be. When I purchased my school 6-7 years ago if remembered correctly they where about $20 ea for a 2" fish. Ive seen them sell for $70 ea but they where more in the 4" range.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-01, 14:27

Not trying hijack the thread but if you guys are looking more Denison barbs aka roseline sharks, PlantedAquariumSeattle has them for sale $10each.  http://www.wafishbox.com/t8655-fs-aquarium-supplies-fish-and-plants-burien-wa-pick-up-only

Back to the thread. Sorry chad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down