ABN Pleco Spawn

4 posters

Go down

ABN Pleco Spawn Empty ABN Pleco Spawn

Post  gnats 2013-11-18, 20:50

I am excited to announce that I have my very first pleco spawn!cheers  The male is guarding the clutch of eggs laid on a piece of Mopani wood. Never expected the eggs would be so large as I'm accustomed to tiny Apisto eggs. Looking forward to watching the progress!

They are in a 29g tank with A. Baenschis, Gold Ring Danios, a gimpy female GBR, and a Zig Zag Eel named Ziggy. Should I worry about the eggs or fry being eaten by the tankmates?

gnats
gnats
Fry

Back to top Go down

ABN Pleco Spawn Empty Re: ABN Pleco Spawn

Post  CrazedAce 2013-11-18, 20:56

If they aren't in a cave where he can fan and protect them properly, I don't think they will last. I use clay wine bottle spikes that work, but they prefer D shaped logs as that's how they're shaped.

How many males and females?
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gnats 2013-11-18, 23:05

Will keep my fingers crossed that they do. However, even if they don't it's still exciting. Maybe Cory will bring some pleco caves to the swap (hint hint) on Saturday. I have some other pairs of BN plecos in other tanks(LF and AbLF) that may do the wild thing at some point. Where do you get your wine bottle spikes? None of my fish have ever been interested in using clay pots.

There is only 1 male and 1 female in the tank with the eggs.

gnats
gnats
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-11-18, 23:14

Yeah, with those tankmates and no cave for protection, I would be surprised if they make it.

Mine like small cichlid stones and the small caves I got at Cory's Aquarium Co-op.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-11-18, 23:17

I actually got them at a store in Seaside, OR. But you can find them on Amazon as well, probably for cheaper than what I paid. lol

I siliconed two small clay pots together and used a drill to make a hole in one end just big enough for them to get into the cave. They like it, but prefer the other choices I mentioned above. Still, the cost of materials is maybe $1 total, so it's worth a try.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-19, 00:41

afro .oOCongrats!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down