mrmann
Aquarium Co-Op
Madness
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Southern Delight fish food - Page 3 Empty Re: Southern Delight fish food

Post  DMD123 2013-12-18, 23:07

I want to try the veggi/krill out. I just wish the pellet size was bigger. I will probably request a sample when I place a bulk order of my own.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-12-18, 23:36

So almost all tanks loved the initial trial of the food, the only food that was readily accepted was the large cichlid formula ( the red mixed pellets).  My umbee swallowed it down quick but then spit it out a few moments later.  This is strange as I would expect my umbee to eat everything and anything..... I'll try again in the morning as I think he did eat a few. The krill/veggie was a favorite in all of the tanks
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-20, 22:39

Well tomorrow makes 10 days exclusive. I had a water change tonight and the ring around the tank is reduced to almost nothing so I am really happy with that. I never really had that issue until I started feeding a certain brand of food in my mix. I think I will add the SD to my mix of foods and then once done with all the other brands I may switch over for good. I still have some months of food to use up so no rush and there is another brand I am trying.

Another point is kind of weird maybe coincidental but I really think my Pearsei grew during this time.... but I will say that could also be due to the fact I removed two other 8" sized fish and this caused the fish to want to grow, who knows? Or maybe it was the mix of Powerfeed and Growth pellets in the past 10 days....
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-12-21, 00:07

I'm into day three, I noticed less fragments floating around during feeding. I'd also like to believe that the reason one of my fish is currently fading is the food, but I seriously doubt it(3 days ...., lol).

The only thing I can say that might be considers a negative to some is that certain pellets sink to the bottom faster than my fish can eat them. This could lead to a problem long term, as they don't always find all of the pellets. Background: my fish have never eaten any pellets besides the floating types.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-21, 00:46

My pellets did not have time to sink and hit bottom. They got devoured very quickly.  Very Happy  The red hooks are related to piranha after all, at least when it comes to eating pellets. Greedy little fish.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-12-21, 18:27

My fish typically attack their meals, the large cichlid isn't super popular with the fish. They gobble up all the other formulas.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2013-12-21, 21:31

Just got my 1st order in yesterday of Southern delight. They readily gobbled up the large cichlid, power food as well as the veggie krill. Smile
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-22, 18:27

I got a little sample of that veggikrill to try out. sounds like they need to make this stuff in a bit bigger pellet size. I will report my findings as I try it out.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2013-12-22, 18:30

Yes it would be nice if the veggie krill would come in two different sizes. Maybe Southern Delight will come out with that later..
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-22, 18:46

I tried it out on my 210g and everyone loved it. Looks ridiculous to see the big pearsei trying to get to it.

In my 72g the bicirs came out for it but a bit small for them also,
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2013-12-22, 18:54

Yeah, I know. My big guys I just feed the power feed as well as the large cichlid.
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-22, 18:57

I have so much other food to use it will be awhile before I make the complete switch.  Sad 

I did mix it in with my other stuff so that the fish continue to eat it. The SD really does seem like its started to get the pearsei into a growth spurt.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-12-22, 20:10

I got all of them. Growth formula is their favorite followed by krill/ veggie, small cichlid, large cichlid, and power feed (basing this on how quickly they eat them) also got the tropical pellets but haven't tried them yet
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2013-12-22, 20:22

I have them all as well but haven't used the tropical yet. For my big guys I'm just going to stick with the power feed as well as the large cichlid because of the pellet size.  santa 
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-12-22, 21:13

Agreed. My two big tanks only get lg cichlid and power feed the other tanks are using the other food
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 00:09

Back to my old pellet mix with a tiny bit of SD in the mix. Guess what? I HATE the mix!!!!!  Head Wall 

Using my other pellets I have already noticed the 'bath tub ring' starting again. I am feeding the same amount of food but getting more of a fine powder mess. I use measuring spoons and fill up pill box's with the days of the week on them and they get two feedings a day. So no increase in the amount of food they get each day, in fact probably they get less than when I did SD exclusive. When I was doing the Southern Delight only I was feeding a bit heavy handed because I was putting it to the test.

Looks like my Southern Delight order may be sooner than I thought.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-12-27, 00:54

Get it in bulk! That's what I did and got my self a few pounds!!!!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2013-12-27, 01:05

Agreed. That's what I did as well. I still have some other brands of food if people are interested.  rendeer
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-27, 13:06

Drd62 wrote:Agreed. That's what I did as well. I still have some other brands of food if people are interested.   rendeer

After all the good reports on Southern Delight how can we get people to take the 'other' stuff off our hands...  whistle 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-13, 15:29

I did it... I placed an order for some bulk Southern Delight.  cheers 

I was going to wait until I had used up stuff I had but I am just tired of the mess from these other brands. Also I feel bad that one of the big name products has like a 15% ash level and another has like 12%. This just tells me that the meals they use are not that great of quality. My fish deserve better. Also requested some samples for some of my friends with community tanks.

So now that some have been feeding this for a while now, do we have any updates? Any thoughts or observations?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-13, 17:38

Well I know that I am a bit skewed on my opinion so I will just talk about results.

Waste is far less, the tank water itself is much cleaner, my filters dont get as dirty and as quickly as before, I dont see tons of food particles coming from my fishes gills upon feeding, or floating in the water, I have noticed much better color, and size growth.  My big Dovii had stopped at about 20" and since I started feeding him SD he is now 22" and much taller bodied.  I am also noticing that my more finicky or delicate fish are eating much better and look more healthy.

Check out this video that my friend Brian made comparing Southern Delight to another well known company.  

Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-13, 18:25

Funny that it seemed my Pearsei had grown after feeding SD exclusive for the ten days. But I have mentioned it was probably coincidental. I had also removed two 8" cichlids out of the tank and the fish decided it no longer had to release a growth retarding hormone or something.

I had seen that video and was impressed with the gravel vac scene where a reduction in waste was clearly seen.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-13, 23:22

Very nice video! Man those African tanks are stocked....
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-22, 13:16

I got my SD order in!  cheers 

I ordered the bulk pellets and got Large Cichlid, Powerfeed, and Growth. I dont use up a ton of food so I was a little reluctant to order in bulk due to the 2lb limit originally set for it. When I contacted them I asked if they do smaller 1lb portions and sure enough they do, so very happy with that!

Now that I have some larger amounts to play with, Ive noticed that the fish like the Powerfeed the best, which is good since I am going for the big finish in trying to get Porkchop to her full adult size.

The only negative I have to comment on is the samples I requested for some friends with community tanks. The tropical pellets, small cichlid pellets and vegiKrill look perfect. The nanokrill and flake were toast. I know the nanokrill is pretty small so it was probably exactly as it should be but the flake came in pretty powdery (most likely shipping related) not really usable unless you are feeding fry.

I am very happy about the order overall except the flake sample being crushed up. Looking forward to using this product exclusively for the next couple of months to see what results I get. So dont be afraid to order this stuff in bulk, good value for you money to do it this way.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-22, 19:55

I had forgot to add this. I almost thought of ordering some Dainichi cichlid recently and was quoted a price that would have been really close to the cost of my Southern Delight order. Only difference was that it would have been for only 1lb of pellets instead of 3lbs & samples!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-20, 22:12

Well I ordered 1lb of small cichlid(1mm) and 1lb of Veggie Kirll(2.2mm) on Tuesday. Got both today. I would like to start my review by saying I was a bit dissappointed at the packaging as it came in heat sealed bag. Its not a big issue I just would have prefered a ziplock or something closable as now I have to run to the store and purchase mason jars to hold the food. Other then that I will update in a month or so on my findings.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-20, 22:24

thought id chime in with a review, recieved a sample of this from the Co-Op and gave it a whirl for about a week. figured it was going well so i ignored it for a day or two, turns out the fish had completly avoided eatting it and 90% was stuck floating behind my spray bars. just my two cents but i wont be using it for my fish anymore. (african cichlids btw)
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-02-20, 22:46

Chiisai wrote:Well I ordered 1lb of small cichlid(1mm) and 1lb of Veggie Kirll(2.2mm) on Tuesday. Got both today. I would like to start my review by saying I was a bit dissappointed at the packaging as it came in heat sealed bag. Its not a big issue I just would have prefered a ziplock or something closable as now I have to run to the store and purchase mason jars to hold the food. Other then that I will update in a month or so on my findings.

The bulk food comes that way so that they are able to 1)keep it fresh, regardless what zip lock says the contents dont stay fresh 2)keep the cost down

Anthraxx wrote:thought id chime in with a review, recieved a sample of this from the Co-Op and gave it a whirl for about a week. figured it was going well so i ignored it for a day or two, turns out the fish had completly avoided eatting it and 90% was stuck floating behind my spray bars. just my two cents but i wont be using it for my fish anymore. (african cichlids btw)

Thats too bad, your fish are missing out. What sample did you feed them? Do you normally feed floating or sinking pellets?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Drd62 2014-02-21, 03:00

Madness wrote:Well I know that I am a bit skewed on my opinion so I will just talk about results.

Waste is far less, the tank water itself is much cleaner, my filters dont get as dirty and as quickly as before, I dont see tons of food particles coming from my fishes gills upon feeding, or floating in the water, I have noticed much better color, and size growth.  My big Dovii had stopped at about 20" and since I started feeding him SD he is now 22" and much taller bodied.  I am also noticing that my more finicky or delicate fish are eating much better and look more healthy.

Check out this video that my friend Brian made comparing Southern Delight to another well known company.  

Good informative video Brian demonstrated. I too am using the SD and have been for the past two months now and can definitely see the difference in the color on my fish as well as less waste. My filters pads are not clogged or discolored like they were on a certain brand of food I was using before.
Drd62
Drd62
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-02-21, 12:11

Just had to add a bit of an update. I went on vacation for 10 days and was dreading what I would come back to. In the past with the food mix I had been using I always came back to a filthy tank despite the fact the feeding were cut down to just a tiny bit each day. I did the same preparation of the tank like I did previously and had the food measured out in the day of the week pill containers and used the same person who fish-sat for me last time. I come home and..... clear, sparkling tank with no overgrown algae growth like I had expected. So this tells me for sure that the food is low in phosphates, which is good. I am not saying it is a perfect food because it does leave some surface scum but the fact I see a reduced amount of waste and the water stays cleaner is a huge deal to me.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-21, 13:36

where are you guys ordering SD from? I'm interested in trying some.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-02-21, 13:46

Hey Morgan, have you seen my Avatar yet. Wink.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3