apistogramma, nano fish breeding.

2 posters

Go down

apistogramma, nano fish breeding.  Empty apistogramma, nano fish breeding.

Post  Guest 2013-05-09, 00:12

Ive been in the hobby about 7 years now. Haven't had any success breeding except Kribs. Want to try my hand at it again.

Can I successfully breed Apistogramma in something small such as a 30 gallon or 20 gallon long?

Any tips breeding Apistogramma?

What about other species? Easy ones or complicated ones? Rare ones?

Ive always liked killi or badis badis? Any breeders out there with tips?

Not trying to make money just take the hobby to a new level...

Any input appreciated.

Back to top Go down

apistogramma, nano fish breeding.  Empty Re: apistogramma, nano fish breeding.

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-05-09, 00:26

Hi Chad,

Several GSAS members are better at this than I am like Kathy Olson and Dave Sanford but I breed Apistos in a 10 gallon and once the fry are large enough move them to a 20 gallon. I condition the pair for a couple of weeks with frozen bloodworms, live brine shrimp, and other tasty treats and they typically spawn after a water change.

Here is the 10 gallon with the 'love shack' and wood cave they use for spawning.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-09, 07:51

Good stuff Roy. The little detailed tips is what Im looking for. One thing I like about Washington fishbox is the pictures commonly shared- like your smaller planted tanks, but I will definitely chime in airstone & search archives for more information. Yesterday I bumped into and picked up a meta-frame tank (20g long). I'm happy to learn it will be possible to breed Apistogramma in it.

Although I have a nice little collection of Apistogramma males I'm on the hunt for
A. macmasteri.

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2013-05-12, 02:05

Chad, macmasteri is a beautiful little guy! I'd encourage you to pick him and run with him to breed.

I really like your phrase, ''Not trying to make money just take the hobby to a new level...''. I think it makes you more of a ''purist''. That is, you are enjoying the hobby for its pure intrinsic pleasure. What I feel is that when you get a pair of fish to spawn, you have provided them almost perfect conditions. THAT, my friendly acquaintance, to me is the epitome of fish husbandry.

Hope to see you this coming weekend. Billy's talking about meeting up there in your area on Saturday, and hitting a few LFSs, including AQuarium Co-op!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-05-13, 13:23

Thank you Ron. Just picked up a couple smaller tanks, going to get them cleaned up & running.I'll concentrate on natural bio-scapes & give breeding a shot!

The weekend was busy with travel. I'm hoping to make the Tuesday GSAS meeting. I should be meeting Billy this coming Saturday @ aquarium co-op to exchange plants and snails Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down