Breeding Community fish

4 posters

Go down

Breeding Community fish  Empty Breeding Community fish

Post  CrazedAce 2013-03-07, 01:04

So I started my breeding escapade with the common guppy, but like a lot of people, I got hooked on the hobby. I now have under my belt of fish bred: Glofish/Longfin Danio mix, Crown/Delta bettas, White Cloud Minnows, and Gold Gouramis.

I currently have all of those fry except the glofish danio batch. These fish ended up being incredibly deformed. Most of the longfin danios had crooked tails unfortunately. The glofish babies were pretty cool at first. I picked out the ones I wanted to keep, but in time they to succumbed to some form of deformation, whether it be a slack jaw hillbilly fish, or having a caved in skull, absolutely none of them were worthy of not becoming food for my friends cichlids, though there was one in his tank after a couple weeks.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

There are about 18 cloud minnow fry, 2 dozen gourami fry, some 3 dozen BN pleco juveniles, 2 betta fry (out of three batches that's all I could get to survive!?!?!). I also have some dozens of guppies, which I am constantly giving to friends as feeder fish. Though now that I am a part of this site I would love to try to get these guys to better homes.
I have a variety of guppy colors, the common gene being cobra, which is an automatic disqualification of being a breeder. I have lyretail endler, a type I call dalmation, a red/purple high fin, and a mix of cobra/blue Moscow though which looks pretty epic, as the cobra pattern is replaced with just dark blue as the main color, and a green in the underlying pattern. I will try to chase them down for pictures eventually.

Other fish worth noting is my Deltatail named Jackie, my albino BN egg layer Clementine, another pair of BN plecos Beauty and The Beast (albino and brown/calico) that have refused to breed yet, my porthole catfish Francis, two blue gouramis male and female, 1 male gold gourami, and the six parents of the minnow fry.

I will be selling these as soon as I can on the market (well, only the BN plecos are ready). Looking forward to meeting people to trade with Very Happy
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Breeding Community fish  Empty Re: Breeding Community fish

Post  Nick_87 2013-03-07, 01:20

I would love to trade with ya and get some of the BN fry if your every around bremerton let me know!
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-03-07, 02:53

CrazedAce, will you be at the Swap on Saturday? There will be lots of wafishbox members there (me included) that might like to buy your BN plecos! Smile

And other fry (for future swap meets)

Also, nice to know another local (kitsap county) aquarist! Smile Welcome!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-03-07, 22:55

Probably wont be at the swap, I assume it's somewhere in Seattle? I'm actually in Mason co.

Here's a couple pics of the little guys
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And their mom, eating a dead fish
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-03-07, 23:05

CrazedAce wrote:
I currently have all of those fry except the glofish danio batch. These fish ended up being incredibly deformed. Most of the longfin danios had crooked tails unfortunately. The glofish babies were pretty cool at first. I picked out the ones I wanted to keep, but in time they to succumbed to some form of deformation, whether it be a slack jaw hillbilly fish, or having a caved in skull, absolutely none of them were worthy of not becoming food for my friends cichlids, though there was one in his tank after a couple weeks.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

That's interesting. What were you feeding them? I had my fair share of deformed zebra danios born of petsmart stock a while back (mostly crooked tails, sometimes bent heads). I had much better results with my Celestial Pearl Danios which were born from fish 1 generation removed from the wild. I believe I fed the CPDs micro worms among other stuff, while the zebras likely got just hikari first bites. My panda corydoras, on the other hand, get only dried Ken's food and I've noticed zero deformities in them. I'm pretty certain they were farm bred too. If it's genetics, the glo-fish folks must go through a ton of fry before they get viable, correctly-formed adults.

Nice plecos Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-03-07, 23:23

pbmax wrote:That's interesting. What were you feeding them? I had my fair share of deformed zebra danios born of petsmart stock a while back (mostly crooked tails, sometimes bent heads). I had much better results with my Celestial Pearl Danios which were born from fish 1 generation removed from the wild. I believe I fed the CPDs micro worms among other stuff, while the zebras likely got just hikari first bites. My panda corydoras, on the other hand, get only dried Ken's food and I've noticed zero deformities in them. I'm pretty certain they were farm bred too. If it's genetics, the glo-fish folks must go through a ton of fry before they get viable, correctly-formed adults.

Nice plecos Smile

I was feeding them first with Hikari First Bites, then switched them over to regular crushed flakes. Could certain foods cause deformations?

Celestial pearl danios are still one of my dream fish. I would give up my glofish in a heartbeat for some of them. lol

I still need to get some worm/daphnia cultures for all my fry, especially for the bettas. One of these days... Very Happy
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-03-08, 00:21

I tossed my micro-worm cultures a while back. I'd stopped breeding my CPDs and my panda corys didn't seem to care so they just weren't worth the upkeep anymore.

I was thinking more that nutrient deficiencies could cause deformities, but I'm just throwing ideas out there Smile

CPDs breed super easy and ship pretty well too; I'm surprised they still cost as much as they do really. They're shy compared with zebras, but when raised around activity (like in my great room) they become less reclusive. They're gorgeous, for sure.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-03-10, 20:49

@CrazedAce - I tried to PM you about the CPDs, but it's not going through. I'm done breeding mine and I'm transitioning away from fish that eat my shrimp. PM me if you're interested.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-03-11, 01:31

Replied. I think it was just that I forgot about private messages. Lol
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down