+3
Anthraxx
Lamental Jester
InfamousRedlineZ
7 posters

Go down

FLUVAL FX5 STOPPED WORKING NEED HELP Empty FLUVAL FX5 STOPPED WORKING NEED HELP

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-04-30, 18:13

Hey everyone, I need some help on this because this is my only filter for my tank.The fx5 just stop flowing! Its having a big problem sucking in water. Im looking at the intake tube and I can see the water level going up and down but not fully intake into the canister and out through the output. I have try turning it off, checking so that theres nothing blocking the suctions in the canister itself and check the tubing for the intake and output. I dont know what to do and dont have any filter to back up my name. I have lost 4 africans already and this is making me very sad! Please if someone have experience with this filter than please let me know I can do to fix this fast!
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

FLUVAL FX5 STOPPED WORKING NEED HELP Empty Re: FLUVAL FX5 STOPPED WORKING NEED HELP

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-04-30, 18:35

Too much media in the filter chambers maybe? Or maybe you need a new impeller
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

FLUVAL FX5 STOPPED WORKING NEED HELP Empty Re: FLUVAL FX5 STOPPED WORKING NEED HELP

Post  Anthraxx 2013-04-30, 18:37

first off get started doing some water changes, nothing too drastic but definiately do so changes. i may be its just gummed up and needs a good cleaning or the impeller could be toast. id suggest taking it apart to find the impeller to see if thats in good shape. i know this kinda thing can be a pain but i wish u the best of luck
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-04-30, 18:38

Should I take out my polish pads and as for the impeller. Wouldn't it make some noise if I need a new one? Idk this is my first canister still noob at it
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-04-30, 18:39

Okay thanks jester and anthraxx. If anyone else got any other idea on what I can do please let me know thanks
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-04-30, 18:40

How many polishing pads do you have? Try just having one in there
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-04-30, 18:55

Is it newly set up or set up for awhile? It probably needs a very good cleaning. On the inside of the lid there is a small tube that can get clogged. I use a q-tip with most of the cotton removed to run down that little tube to clean. Might have to also take apart the pump portion and clean the impeller area.

They are very good filters and Ive had mine running for years with no problems. Ive also started to accumulate 'back up' equipment in case of failure to give me some time to work on things. Might be a good time to get a HOB filter for emergency's like this.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-04-30, 19:34

i really doubt it would make much noise, but that may explain a humming issue ive been having lately with DMD's old cascades (still going strong btw Razz)
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-04-30, 20:11

Okay, thanks guys! I took everything apart and clean everything and Left the sponges and bio media and took out the polish pad. It's working now thanks yeah I has plans to meet up a guy today to buy 2 aquaclear 110 because both of my other fail but again thanks guys. You guys been a great help ill snap some pictures for you guys tonight to share
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-04-30, 22:00

i never run the fine pad only the coarse. the fine plug very quickly. glad you are running again.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-04-30, 22:24

Yeah I won't be running it any more and thanks again everyone
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-30, 23:30

bassetman wrote:i never run the fine pad only the coarse. the fine plug very quickly. glad you are running again.

Plus One !!

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-04-30, 23:59

Anthraxx wrote:i really doubt it would make much noise, but that may explain a humming issue ive been having lately with DMD's old cascades (still going strong btw Razz)
Awesome! I think the Cascades are some of the best budget filters out there.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-05-01, 00:03

On MFK a member suggested to use the Eheim 2215 coarse pads in the FX5. They fit perfect and are more sponge like (rinse and reuse) and will last even longer than the coarse pads for the FX5 (disposable). Im going to do this when I finish off my FX5 pads to save money.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2013-05-01, 00:05

I have sme of those I will try and see how it works. I have been using the fine fx5 pads in the 2215 so it should be a good fit.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2013-05-01, 05:44

I had a same problem and the filter pad was totaly clogged.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-05-01, 13:02

Lol, this reminds me, I need to go clean my 405 and 305
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-05-01, 18:23

Lol yeah no more pad for me haha
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-05-01, 20:07

Glad you were able to get if fixed quickly.! Are you planning to run one of those additional filters you picked up along with your Fluval?

I think it would be a good idea to have two filters running on that tank if you had fish dying with the one filter not operational for a short time.

Do you know how long it wasn't working before the fish started to die?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-05-01, 22:49

Yeah I'm running both of the aquaclear 110 a long with the fx5. I'm assuming it was like 3 days before I found out that it died on me. I was so sad when I seem my wild caught Copadichromis trewavasae "Mloto Likoma", 1 of the Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus and 1 of the Aristochromis Christyi sad day it was! I did water changes after I found them dead and keeping a close eye on the ammonia nitrates and nitrites.
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-05-01, 23:59

Three days! Shocked Okay, that makes more sense now. I thought it had just happened and it seemed strange that the fish would start dying so soon. Really sorry for your losses.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2013-05-02, 00:04

Yeah mloto was one of my favorite in the tank too sad sad day but now I know better to keep my eye on the canister haha I got pictures for you guys tonight when I get home from work.
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down