Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home

4 posters

Go down

Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home Empty Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home

Post  iandraco 2012-04-15, 22:00

i've been having a lot of aggression issues in my mixed african tank so i had to make a tough decision. with a heavy heart i decided to let my severum go so i could let some of my haps and my burundi's have the 125. my moorii blue dolphins were the main source of the problem. just getting too big for the 55 and do not like bumping shoulders with others. i also had 4 burundi fry that were outgrowing their grow out tank and i thought it was time to introduce them to the other 2 larger ones. i put the fry in first so they could get their bearing and settle into their new environment before the big boys arrived. i waited till the lights were off and acclimated everyone else. i was kinda worried that the larger 2 fronts and moorii's would pick on the little guys but i was pleasantly surprised. the fronts looked genuinely happy to see each other. the little guys flocked to the larger ones immediately and stuck to them like glue. zero aggression from the larger 2 (5" and 3"). they seemed happy to be in a pack. now they all just school around the tank together and seem to love all the extra space. moorii's seem very docile now and haven't given the little guys any problems either. very happy with how things are working out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home Empty Re: Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-15, 22:10

very cool.... love how frontosa are so chill... they definetly fit there trade name "gentle giants".... and man, thoughs are some super blue burundis...seriously, they remind me of a giberosa variety with so much blue, like a kapampa, or moba well except the eye stripe definetly says burundi all the way.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home Empty Re: Tank Shuffle.....burundi's new home

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-15, 22:32

truly amazing fish you have!glad to hear it worked out.
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-04-17, 09:43

thanks guys. the blue you see in the pics unfortunately only shows in the camera flash for the most part. i'm actually just trying to grow these guys big enough to get my money back out of them. i bought some of the little guys at petsmart and they are fairly poor quality. when they stress you can see some mooning and some of the black extends out of the bar on one of them. pretty disapointing, but oh well. live and learn. i think i would like to get some kigoma down the road instead. i like the gold fins of the kigs. extra stripe is cool too. we'll see what happens though. right now i'm growing out some moba fry and they are amazing. sooooooo much blue. can't wait for them to get big. they will be stunning.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-04-17, 10:41

It's always nice to finally figure out the combination and tank setup that will work -- at least for a while. It's the main reason I rarely, if ever, add anything to my long established tanks.

Nice looking fish. Spot On
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-17, 17:54

Moba are definetly my favorite frontosa/gibberosa.... I love there eye mask... so cool! and the amount of blue on them is just stunning..... I used to raise a group of kigoma, they are awesome fish! The only thing that i didnt like much is when they get older that 7 stripes make allot of black on the body... but the gold in the fin always stays and looks great.... there is a really nice picture of a juvinelle kigoma in the picture of the month thread.

As for your comment on petsmart.... I purchased two burundi from them last month... They are growing great, have 0 mooning, (bars are perfect, extend solid into the dorsal), and have allot of blue on the fins.... I am really impressed, especially for the price! You cant find good fronts/gibs for under 20 bucks at any pet shop.....

I purchased my kigoma from neptune aquatics in california... they shipped via the greyhound.... arrived in great condition, I always recommend them, cause they had great prices and the fish are text book... no mooning, or deformations at all!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-04-18, 09:21

when i bought the 4 from petsmart i was very selective and picked the ones that showed no mooning. i think i annoyed the person who was netting them quite a bit by how picky i was. wasn't till they grew a bit that the mooning started to appear. very dissapointed that they have it anyway. oh well. now i have so many connections from forums that i can get f-1 fronts of any variety for $20 or less. i'm just gonna buy from them in the future. unless i come across something stunning that i can't live without at a LFS. i know, i'm picky and kind of a snob about my fish.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down