sandnuka
Betty
TerrancePuffer
aquaman95
9 posters

Go down

how much do you feed Empty how much do you feed

Post  aquaman95 2012-03-15, 10:41

i didnt see this subject on the older lists and wanted to see how much you guys are feeding and what brands.all are welcome including saltwater people

my list will be on later because its to long to think of
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

how much do you feed Empty Re: how much do you feed

Post  TerrancePuffer 2012-03-15, 10:43

I feed my fish crustaceans until tummy is slightly rounded. I buy a bag of mixed crustaceans at Costco. I thaw in aquarium water mixed with Vitachem.
TerrancePuffer
TerrancePuffer
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-15, 12:05

I feed all of mine New Life Spectrum pellets -- about what they can finish in 30 - 45 seconds -- two times a day.

In addition to the NLS, canned french style green beans or seasonal veggies to the bristlenose plecos,
earthworm sticks to the leopard frog plecos,
fresh zucchini or leaf lettuce to the mbuna -- once in a great while.

Last edited by Betty on 2012-03-15, 17:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-15, 14:33

Well, really depends on the fish..... But Tropheus is usually my main fish, and they have allot stricter of a diet because they are very susceptable to bloat..... I feed the a veggie flake, what they can finish in 15 seconds 2x a day..... and I go with dainichi veggie pellet every other day..

My discus were very picky eaters, so they mainly got treats all the time, bloodworms, and brine shrimp, and live black worms....

My mallawii fish all got NLS pellets 1 x a day. and that was pretty much the stable food for any other cichlid i kept. Smile

(Good topic, cant wait to see all the responses.)
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-03-15, 14:59

I feed twice /day. I feed my guys everything. Smile

Pellets:
NLS, Omega, Hikari (all kinds), Tetra, Microb-lift, Kens, Angel plus, Xtreme, and Premium fish (this is sold mostly to hatcheries)

Flakes:
Hikari, Kens, Angel plus,

Freeze dried:
Tetra Krill, San Fransisco bay (all), Angel plus, Kens,

Frozen:
Blood worms, brine, mysis, krill, and my own recipe

Natural:
Spinach, zucchini, green beans, peas

Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-03-15, 15:57

I am feeding two times a day with extra treats given on weekends when Im home with the fish more

Pellets and flakes:
Omega One exclusively in the 210g, floating cichlid pellet, floating super kelp pellet, super kelp flake, Marine flake w/garlic and algae wafers. Lots of veggie type Omega One stuff because of the Flagtail and silver dollars but the greedy Oscar an Sev eat them up too.

Tetra crisps and hikari gold pellets for the convict. Using up different brands on him, will get switched over to Omega One.

Betta - Omega One pellet

Frozen foods (treats):
Hikari Krill
San Francisco Bay whole krill
bloodworms
glassworms
Mysis shrimp
beefheart
tubifex worms

Live treats:
earthworms, night-crawlers, crickets
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-15, 16:02

madness wrote:I feed twice /day. I feed my guys everything. Smile

Pellets:
NLS, Omega, Hikari (all kinds), Tetra, Microb-lift, Kens, Angel plus, Xtreme, and Premium fish (this is sold mostly to hatcheries)

Flakes:
Hikari, Kens, Angel plus,

Freeze dried:
Tetra Krill, San Fransisco bay (all), Angel plus, Kens,

Frozen:
Blood worms, brine, mysis, krill, and my own recipe

Natural:
Spinach, zucchini, green beans, peas

Is there a reason why you feed so many different brands? Ive personally just went with one pellet (NLS, Or dianichi for veggie base) because it had all the nutritional value anything else had, and i like to keep my fish board. lol
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-03-15, 16:09

main reason is because I dont like to eat just one thing, why should I do that to them? All of the food is nutritional, and all of it has its own benefits. So why not? My fish are never finicky, and they are all healthy and colorful. I dont feed them something different everyday, all of this (for the most part) is mixed together. They get a all-you-can-eat every day.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-15, 16:16

ah-huh.... I get it, so its all at once...... I was just curious if you had better breeding results constantly changing brands..... I personally try to get them on a routine, thats why the same old thing everytime.

Continue with WHAT FOOD, AND HOW MUCH??? Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-03-15, 16:17

Having bought fish from madness I can say Ive never had a problem with them taking to food. They are so used to all the different types they adapt beautifully. Not fussy at all!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2012-03-15, 16:29

I feed my Tropheus and Mbuna NLS 1mm cichlid formula twice a day sometimes 3 times a day on a Saturday or Sunday.

Sandnuka whats the reason for no NLS for your Trophs? I just recently switched them over from a Omega1 veggie flake and Hikari mix to the NLS slowly of course. Thought I would see if all the hype lived up to it's name. They really go after it and call me crazy but I think their color has gotten better. I only feed them a couple of pinches once in the am and once at night with a one day fast on Wed then 3 times on the weekend if I am in the mood Very Happy

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-15, 18:20

JimA wrote: I feed my Tropheus and Mbuna NLS 1mm cichlid formula twice a day sometimes 3 times a day on a Saturday or Sunday.

Sandnuka whats the reason for no NLS for your Trophs? I just recently switched them over from a Omega1 veggie flake and Hikari mix to the NLS slowly of course. Thought I would see if all the hype lived up to it's name. They really go after it and call me crazy but I think their color has gotten better. I only feed them a couple of pinches once in the am and once at night with a one day fast on Wed then 3 times on the weekend if I am in the mood Very Happy

I always do a day of fasting... like you... forgot to mention that. Smile

as for your question..... I wanted a more spirulina/alge/vege based food for them..... They mainly get the HBH vege flake (think its better than omega by far).... and dianichi veggie pellets (its for strict herbovores, like our fish).... They go absolutly crazy for them.... the pellets do not make it down past the first 1/4 of the tank... practically jump out of the water.. lol I have a HUGE bag if you ever want to try it and are up north (marysville area) I will give you some.

(Its even got a picture of your fish on it Smile )

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is something about it :
VEGGIE FX is a highly specialized herbivore formula supplemented with a revolutionary nutritional coating. This unique formula is enriched with freeze-dried Cyclop-eeze (a planktonic crustacean with the highest known levels of caratenoids and fatty acids), two types of 100% pure cultured spirulina algae, E. superba krill and shrimp. In all, VEGGIE~FX contains six separate applications of color enhancing ingredients to promote a spectacular levels of colors, especially intense reds and oranges. All Dainichi foods contain calcium montmorillonite clay, which simulates the natural ingestion of mineral particles and helps to bind and neutralize… more ยป
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-03-15, 19:22

Not to go too much off subject but the Omega One Veggie Flake is a bit misleading.

Veggie Flake
INGREDIENTS: Whole Salmon, Black Cod, Halibut, Whole Herring , Fresh Kelp, Spirulina,,Wheat Flour, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Its not until the 5th item does veggies come into play.

I use the Omega One Super Kelp Flakes, which start with veggies.
INGREDIENTS: Whole Kelp, Spirulina, Whole Salmon, Halibut, Seafood Mix (Including Krill, Whole Herring, & Shrimp), Wheat flour, Wheat Gluten, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

Just thought that was interesting because you would assume "Veggie" means that would be the first ingredient.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman09 2012-03-15, 20:34

i feed about 3 times a day what they can eat in about 10 seconds. i also mix in most of my foods together and feed at once. my fish eat only pellets for right now but need to get some fresh veggies and feeze dried krill to the mix. i try to feed in smaller amounts more times a day vs 1 or 2 larger feedings which imo should allow for better absorbtion of the nutrients over the period of a day
pellets i use are hikari, omega one, nls, and a spirulina and high protein pellet my lfs gets from a supplier.
fishman09
fishman09
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-03-16, 03:33

Brands I feed:
-kens(veggie sticks with calcium, earthworm sticks)
-hikari(tropical micro pellets, micro and mini cichlid gold for carnivores, frozen blood worms/brine shrimp/tubiflex, algae wafers, shrimp cuisine, first bites)
-sanfancisco bay(frozen beef heart)
-omega one(super kelp flake, freeze dried brine shrimp, betta flakes)
-HBH(shrimp pellets)

I feed a lot of fresh veggies and snaillo. The goldies are now on a steady diet of duckweed. I don't like the san Francisco bay brand, makes the water super frothy/cloudy in my experience. I feed once daily
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down