Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding

5 posters

Go down

Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding Empty Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-10, 04:24

These are excellent videos I found on youtube... If you own africans and you have not read or listened to ad konings you dont really know your fish.... Some great information here, Allot of people think africans are vicious little carnivores, or predators when actually they are all almost alge eaters... check out the video if you didnt know that. Smile

sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding Empty Re: Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding

Post  EvanDu 2012-03-10, 04:42

excellent videos, alge food is safe for all of them.
EvanDu
EvanDu
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding Empty Re: Ad Konings Lecture on Mallawii Feeding

Post  Betty 2012-03-10, 11:15

Nice find. I went to see Ad Konings speak on that very topic at the Portland Aquarium Society back in 2010. Three days later I saw him at the GSAS meeting speaking on Tangs.

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-10, 11:46

great videos. thanks
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-10, 16:21

Betty wrote:Nice find. I went to see Ad Konings speak on that very topic at the Portland Aquarium Society back in 2010. Three days later I saw him at the GSAS meeting speaking on Tangs.

OH MAN! I would love to talk to him.... That much knowledge in one person on just cichlids is incredible! I found someone asking him random questions.... One was "Whats your favorite fish?" he replied with, Enantiopus melanogenys... a simple sand dweller! I cant believe it... I thought it would be a difficult to keep fish like petrochromis, or something larger like that! they are beautiful, so because he said its his fav. I am going to have to buy some.... reserve stock cichlids have some... I obviously dont have a tank for them now.... but maybe next group buy.... RSC V !!!!! lol
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-10, 18:34

I remember him saying what his favorite fish was and I wasn't happy that it was from Tanganyika since Malawi is my favorite!

I also won a door prize from that meeting and it was his Back to Nature Guide on Tanganyikan cichlids!! I was able to get him to sign it along with my copy of his book on Malawi cichlids. study
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-10, 19:23

That is soooooo awesome! I really envy you! seriously, those books are freakin soooo expensive! I cant even find them at the library Sad

I love malawi fish, and I think in general, if i was going to look at a tank large enough to support 15+ species from a lake, I would probably like malawi, if victorias females werent so blan looking.... but my top 4 favorite fish all are from tanganyika. (Gibberosa, tropheus, Enantiopus, and Petrochromis) in that order as well...

oooo... I should start a favorite fish thread! Smile look for it in general fish, that way everyone can put in the input, old world and new wolrd cichlid as well as community fish! Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-10, 20:54

You might find this interesting on the topic of Lake Malawi and the overfishing.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And here's a video about it.

I think the GSAS donated to help purchase some of the ANDs. Spot On
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-03-17, 09:28

another great video. i love that the are taking measures to prevent over fishing. i am a big proponent of captive breeding whenever possible. thanks.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2012-03-17, 16:53

I watched Ad Koning's presentation on lake tanganika, and did sit down to chat with him afterwards.
He autographed my Malawi cichlids in their natural habitat 4th edition book. I even have the 3rd edition and worth every bit of it.. That book tells me there are tons of wonderful color fishes out there that you'll never see at your local LFS.

In fact, it helped me a lot when I place my orders from Oldworld.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down