Feeding your Malawis?

+2
Zerc
censeoflife
6 posters

Go down

Feeding your Malawis? Empty Feeding your Malawis?

Post  censeoflife 2011-07-25, 13:35

I have been having a hard time locating a good local source of food for my African cichlid fishies.

Where are you getting yours, what is it, and how much does it cost? (ie..shipping, product per ounce)

Right now I am serving up Hikari brand. small sinkers. Protein and veggie mixes. The fish love it but I have run out my local stores.

Thanks! jocolor
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Feeding your Malawis? Empty Re: Feeding your Malawis?

Post  Zerc 2011-07-25, 13:56

best source? go to those local stores and ask if you can special order a case of it. I am sure they will hook you up, maybe even a discount if you order a lot.
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-07-25, 17:46

I feed New Life Spectrum almost exclusively to all of my fish and have done so for years now. I order in online though. I buy it in the 5 lb. bucket ($50), usually from Big Al's and at a time that I'm ordering other supplies to get the free shipping. It's cheaper to buy it in bulk and a bucket last for a very long time. (I find that I can feed smaller amounts of the NLS pellets compared to the cheaper pellets or flake.) I store it in the freezer and refill smaller containers as needed.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2011-07-27, 12:52

Thanks! Spent some money at Al's.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-07-27, 23:16

I do get my buckets too from big al's with free shipping with $75 min purchase, and no sales tax!
I go thru mine a lot faster feeding over 3-400 fishes. I like the NLS 2mm sinking best.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-07-28, 00:50

I too stick with NLS - I use grow (.5mm) for the fry, 1mm for juveniles and dwarf cichlids, and a mixture of 1mm and 3mm for full-sized cichlids. I also use their wafers - by far the best wafers for cichlids I've found. I've been buying mine from one of the admins on MFK for $55 shipped, that was the best price I could find. I'll have to look at Big Al's, I'm familiar with them but have never shopped there.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2011-07-28, 11:06

I had tried them on NLS before and they loved it, so I was happy to get a bucket and a few other necessities. Now if the package would just get here j/k. lol.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-08, 11:24

Dianichi "Veggie Deluxe" is a great food for Mbunas, really brings up the color and not too much protein. it is available online from Amazon, about 20 bucks for 1.1 pounds. it sinks slowly and all my Mbunas go nuts for it. You can get it on ebay also but watch for outrageous shipping cost.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down