finsandfeathers
sandnuka
Fyurae
Kaosu
8 posters

Go down

Tilapia snyderae  Empty Tilapia snyderae

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-17, 22:07

so I came across these little lovely fish for sale recently...and plan on picking up a pare or three.

they say they are rare and no longer imported..on account that they are nearly extinct in the wild

few questions

would any one be interested in helping me breed these and keeping this lovely little fish going?...

does any one keep them or have experience keeping them? im cleaning out a 29 gallon for a pare or two..maybe even putting my 40 tall back up.

some feed back would be nice.

thank you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Tilapia snyderae  Empty Re: Tilapia snyderae

Post  Fyurae 2012-02-17, 22:46

o.O
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-17, 22:58

Fyurae wrote:o.O

Razz what?!
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-18, 02:17

Ive kept talapia before, not that variant... but Im sure they are similar... anyway, mine was super hardy, and very aggressive..... I heard they breed well too and are easy to keep.... on that note, I wonder why they are close to extinction? in the wild or in captivity??? cause I know allot of african victorian cichlids are extinct in the wild, but are all over in captivity....

Why do you need someone to help you breed them??? you want someone to hold a stud and you hold the female??? Ive never heard of someone studding out there male fish, hmmm..... sounds like a good idea! lol
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-18, 06:02

sandnuka wrote:Ive kept talapia before, not that variant... but Im sure they are similar... anyway, mine was super hardy, and very aggressive..... I heard they breed well too and are easy to keep.... on that note, I wonder why they are close to extinction? in the wild or in captivity??? cause I know allot of african victorian cichlids are extinct in the wild, but are all over in captivity....

Why do you need someone to help you breed them??? you want someone to hold a stud and you hold the female??? Ive never heard of someone studding out there male fish, hmmm..... sounds like a good idea! lol

they are endangered in the wild and rare in captivity, just looking to see if other people would be interested in them if i got them and bred them.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fyurae 2012-02-18, 12:12

I want some. I may have to get rid of my couch. would you like a couch?
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  finsandfeathers 2012-02-18, 15:01

Great looking fish, I would be interested in some to work with.

Have 3 Victorian species I'm working with currently, like to help with rare and endangered species if I can.

finsandfeathers
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Addict 2012-02-18, 20:17

If you have less then ten they will probably just kill each other. I have raised a bunch of tilapia in aquaponics bit never seen that strain.
Fish Addict
Fish Addict
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-18, 20:49

no...i don't want your couch Razz make room..im picking up a few pares next month..they stay small 4 inches max from what i have read...how many you going to want?

they are only being sold in pares at 14$ a pare

Have 3 Victorian species I'm working with currently, like to help with rare and endangered species if I can.

awesome!! these are F2s
your down in Origon?....I have been looking for a reason to go down to Portlen some time soon!. maybe we can work something out.

If you have less then ten they will probably just kill each other. I have raised a bunch of tilapia in aquaponics bit never seen that strain.

these are dwarf Tylapia that have little connection to larger types..nothing i have read has stated "less than 10 will kill each other" ..so not sure what your talking about.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  AE86-Danny 2012-02-20, 05:21

Kaosu wrote:

no...i don't want your couch Razz make room..im picking up a few pares next month..they stay small 4 inches max from what i have read...how many you going to want?

they are only being sold in pares at 14$ a pare

awesome!! these are F2s
your down in Origon?....I have been looking for a reason to go down to Portlen some time soon!. maybe we can work something out.

these are dwarf Tylapia that have little connection to larger types..nothing i have read has stated "less than 10 will kill each other" ..so not sure what your talking about.

i am more local and have room.
my 125 has room still.
and my 20 has room.
also have room for another 55 gallon

let me know whats going on id love to help breed these.
my tank has alot of breeding going on lol.

AE86-Danny
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  finsandfeathers 2012-02-20, 17:17

Well if your coming down to check out the Wet Spot I can drive up to meet you, Saturdays would work the best. 2 pairs is what I'd like to get so just let me know

finsandfeathers
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  AE86-Danny 2012-02-20, 22:26

ill probably want 2 pairs, but for now maybe just one.

AE86-Danny
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-20, 23:31

I wish I had room for some! They are listed as Vulnerable -- facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future. I know someone who is involved in the CARES Preservation Progam who has kept them. They are a good looking fish!

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-21, 01:44

awesome!!

so glad we got some people interested in them

I can get ahold of about 6-8 of them early next month around the 10th ill be picking up the entire group and i will sort out pares from there!!

ill be keeping two pares...two for finsandfeatehrs and one pare for Danny we shall see how many pares I can make out of the batch and work with them from there!

Ill keep everyone updated.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-21, 01:46

Betty wrote:I wish I had room for some! They are listed as Vulnerable -- facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium term future. I know someone who is involved in the CARES Preservation Progam who has kept them. They are a good looking fish!

oh that is awesome!! do you still have contact with them? i would love to pick someones brains on breeding them.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  finsandfeathers 2012-02-21, 02:00

Just getting some info from a friend who used to raise them, I'll pass on any info!!

finsandfeathers
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-21, 03:38

AE86-Danny wrote:\

my 125 has room still.
and my 20 has room.

From your last few posts danny I think your tanks are setup for african lake cichlids.... These are a different kind of african cichlid... require lower PH... I think 7.0, they also dont work as "pairs" the male will kill the female... from what I read they work out better as a colony fish... small group of 6-8... kinda like tropheus I think.. Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AE86-Danny 2012-02-21, 05:19

sandnuka wrote:
AE86-Danny wrote:\

my 125 has room still.
and my 20 has room.

From your last few posts danny I think your tanks are setup for african lake cichlids.... These are a different kind of african cichlid... require lower PH... I think 7.0, they also dont work as "pairs" the male will kill the female... from what I read they work out better as a colony fish... small group of 6-8... kinda like tropheus I think.. Smile

I don't plan on mixing these with my peacocks or yellows.
im going to setup another tank for sure.

AE86-Danny
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-21, 13:00

Kaosu wrote:
oh that is awesome!! do you still have contact with them? i would love to pick someones brains on breeding them.
If I hear from him, I'll let you know and put you in contact. He's not as actively keeping fish now as he used to be, but is still involved with the hobby and CARES.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-21, 15:21

Kaosu, check your PM box for his contact info.

If you're interested, here's a link to the cares preservation program's list of species at risk and a little bio on him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  buntbarsch 2012-02-23, 10:11

Hi everybody, Betty asked me to help out with some information, so here I am.

You sure picked a pretty cichlid to maintain and keeping them in a species tank by themselves is the right way to do this. They are listed as vulnerable because of the location where they live. Lake Bermin is a very small crater lake in Cameron and it is the only place were T. snyderae are found. This automatically makes them vulnerable. These fish are very robust in the aquarium and need a tank at least 4 feet long with wood and rocks as decoration. I would not recommend any plants since they will become food. PH values can be anywhere between 7 and 8 and the temperature between 25 and 29 Celsius. T. snyderae are herbivores so a veggie based food will do just fine. Also fresh lettuce or spinach will disappear in no time. It would make sense to keep them in group of maybe 2 males and 4 females but I don't believe it to be necessary. A good friend had them spawn several times as a pair in a 65g. The advantage of keeping them in a group however is to spread the aggression. All in all they are a great cichlid to keep and you also help conservation efforts in doing so.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-23, 14:04

Hey Klaus! Thanks for taking the time to stop in and give us this information.

I see you recommend a 4 ft tank if keeping a species tank of them, but I'm wondering if 3 ft would work if you were able to narrow them down to a compatible pair. Or would the male aggression be too much for the female to escape in a smaller tank? Are they more like the harem spawners that don't actually pair up?

They remind me a little of my P. multicolor victoriae and I tried keeping those in a 29 gallon, but the male was extremely aggressive towards the female and I had to separate them.

The photos of yours are beautiful! Very Happy
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-02-23, 19:37

thank you so much! this is the information i have been looking for!!!

so back up goes the 40 gallon ^_^.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-02-24, 01:51

Thanks so much for sharing! The little information I found online never compares to someone who has and breeds them regularly.... its very appreciated...... My question would go along with bettys, 4 foot tank seems very big for such a small fish, is this due to aggression?? could someone keep more than 10 fish in that size of a tank?
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  buntbarsch 2012-02-24, 09:13

Tilapia snyderae grows to 2.5-3 inches in nature. However, they can grow up to 5" in an aquarium and can be quite aggressive. Hiding places for females are a must and if you keep more then one male, the tank needs to large enough for them to have their own territory. The only way I would use a smaller tank then 4 feet is with only one male and 2 or 3 females.
buntbarsch
buntbarsch
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-02-24, 23:50

Sounds like they have that typical African cichlid attitude. Good to know. Thanks.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down