Horrible first Christmas! :(

3 posters

Go down

Horrible first Christmas! :( Empty Horrible first Christmas! :(

Post  Guest 2011-12-25, 16:20

Great my first time doing Christmas and I come home to all dead fish! Only a handfull survive! Sad my little sister was balling her eyes out callin me to come home because they die. I feel really bad because it was her Christmas and birthday present now there's only like 4-6 left so sad!!

Back to top Go down

Horrible first Christmas! :( Empty Re: Horrible first Christmas! :(

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-12-25, 16:39

Wonder if the tank was overfed, i remembered that when my kids or my neighbors took over feeding em when I was out of town for a period of time, I found excess food on the bottom when i came home. Lucky I did quick waterchanges.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-12-25, 16:50

No, I'd check that and everything is good just all of a sudden they die. I spend all of my money I left over for those fish and being jobless don't help. Man fml. I hope everyone is having a way better Christmas than me

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-12-25, 18:35

which tank did you loose fish in?
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-12-25, 21:39

I sold my 55 and 67 and got them a 75 gallon and fish now theres almost no fish ehh so sorry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2011-12-26, 01:40

what are the water parameters at? heater not cracked or anything? my brother cooked his fish one year cause of that..... could it been disease? ick? fish usually dont just drop dead in a group like that... if it was one or two different, but your saying a bunch right???

There could be a fish Epidemic!!!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-12-26, 05:40

No ick probably a desease. Idk Ive change the water twice today so hopefully it'll be better by the end of the week

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2011-12-27, 03:32

you have a test kit right? whats the water parameters?
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-12-28, 19:59

I agree

You need to check your water before adding any more fish. If you do not have a kit many of the local fish stores will test for free.

I have had an epidemic that I have been battling now for months, all my water test come out fine. I have it down to most likely a internal bacterial infection, or a really nasty parasite. But my fish show symptoms that I can work with. If your fish just up and died with no symptoms, definitely check your water!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2011-12-29, 03:09

Honestly peter, Im doubting you have a test kit... cause every time i ask what are the water parameters I get a kind of weird answer.... I know you said you were broke, jobless, but you need to itleast grab test strips, they may be not super accurate but it will give you an idea what the important Nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia levels are.... Im assuming it was an ammonia spike that killed the fish.... new tank syndrome.... happens to even pros, I know I lost a bunch of fish cause I did a 100% water change, and BAM everyone died Sad

Good luck with gettin some fish in there.... keep checkin craigslist, people sell there tanks full of fish all the time, usually the buyers dont want the fish so you get em. Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-12-29, 03:40

No Ive been bringing it to pets art which is 5 min from my house. They said everything is reading okay and yeah I've been lOoking on craigslist everyday. Thanks for everyone opinion what it might be

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2011-12-29, 13:36

well taking it to petsmart is good... they will check ammonia but in order to keep a more difficult fish like african cichlids, you must have a test kit, or strips... africans require higher ph, and super hard water..... I know my water out of the tap is pretty soft, and med. ph... so I have to use perfect ph 8.0, or bakin soda to get the desired effects... and then to harden water I use epsom salt.. I promise you will keep loosing fish if you dont get a test kit and read up on what the water is suppose to be at for the fish you keep....

If your gonna really get in this as a hobby, especially when breeding fish you got to keep them happy and give them the water that they come from in the wild.... your not keeping goldfish anymore. Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down