Madness
Rick
JimA
Spyral
DMD123
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Boring, Dull, African fish... Empty Boring, Dull, African fish...

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 14:07

Ok, I am trying to get some activity going on this site. So tell me what makes Africans so appealing? They seem so boring and dull compared to Central or South Americans! So let me have it boxing tell me about your Africans...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Boring, Dull, African fish... Empty Re: Boring, Dull, African fish...

Post  Spyral 2011-09-07, 14:54

I don't keep them anymore, I keep a Festae tank now.

Generally, they are far more colorful than most CA/SA fish and tend to be a lot more active. They don't grow as big as CA/SA fish.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 15:56

Spyral wrote:I don't keep them anymore, I keep a Festae tank now.

Generally, they are far more colorful than most CA/SA fish and tend to be a lot more active. They don't grow as big as CA/SA fish.

Ive heard them referred to as "the poor mans saltwater tank". They just get no love.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-07, 16:31

For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. boxing The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.

I guess it comes down to what people are in to. I am sure you know there are a few forums with people that love and have both.

My thoughts are if I am going to have a big tank I want as much color and action I can get, it's why I chose what I have.

Africans have a ton of personality and many different species to choose from.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick 2011-09-07, 16:42

I have never kept cichlids but when I see such a nice tank like your Jim I sure start thinking about trying. I realy like the color and that back ground is great.

Rick
Rick
Rick
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 17:11

JimA wrote: For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. boxing

Touché, nice comeback! Spot On And I thought there would be no action on the African part of the forum, but I was wrong. Violent
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-07, 18:05

I actually am using my son's tank right now as a fry grow out for 20 some Rustys. 40 gal After those go away I was considering doing a planted type tank with tetra's and other smaller fish just not sure when. I also have really hard water, high PH/ALK so not sure what will work that's fairly easy to keep?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-07, 18:44

JimA wrote: For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. boxing The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.

HMMMMMM, I disagree. You say a tank full of active colorful fish. OK you get that with Africans, mainly because if they aren't banging into each other they aren't happy. So you are able to stuff the tank full of color.

But, my C/S Am. tanks are full of color. Maybe not the bright yellow or blue, but definitely many different and bright colors. Now you kinda slam us with " than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks". And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better? Now my tanks are not dark, and my fish are from from lethargic. In fact I would venture to say that S/C Am tanks are far more enjoyable to watch. And you can't possibly tell me that your Africans have even 5% of the personality of the S/C Am. Cichlids. When I put my hand in the tank, the fish fish swim up against me, like a cat does. I literally hand feed some of them. (they come up to my hand and gently take it out of my fingers) In fact if I had a tank large enough for me to get into it, I bet my fish would come over to me and interact. Yours would scream and hide. Smile

So, yes lots of brighter colors. And your done there. No competition what so ever when it comes to everything else.

If you dont agree, feel free to come on over and I will introduce you to some lame, big, lethargic, fish. Oh wait, I dont have that, so if thats what you want to see, you wont find it at my place.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead. boxing backatcha!!

Last edited by madness on 2011-09-07, 18:52; edited 1 time in total
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 18:47

JimA,
Ive seen your tank posted a few times it is quite inspirational. Very natural setting. Still wouldnt make me want Africans, I prefer big lumbering giants. tongue
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 18:54

madness wrote:And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better?
LMFAO

madness wrote:I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead.
haha

Hey, what do you have against chihuahua's and a box of fruit loops?

Come on settle down, this was just to get some activity going here. Im happy to see there is still some fire left in these African keepers! If we could just get more of them to post.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-07, 18:59

madness wrote:
JimA wrote: For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. boxing The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.

HMMMMMM, I disagree. You say a tank full of active colorful fish. OK you get that with Africans, mainly because if they aren't banging into each other they aren't happy. So you are able to stuff the tank full of color.

But, my C/S Am. tanks are full of color. Maybe not the bright yellow or blue, but definitely many different and bright colors. Now you kinda slam us with " than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks". And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better? Now my tanks are not dark, and my fish are from from lethargic. In fact I would venture to say that S/C Am tanks are far more enjoyable to watch. And you can't possibly tell me that your Africans have even 5% of the personality of the S/C Am. Cichlids. When I put my hand in the tank, the fish fish swim up against me, like a cat does. I literally hand feed some of them. (they come up to my hand and gently take it out of my fingers) In fact if I had a tank large enough for me to get into it, I bet my fish would come over to me and interact. Yours would scream and hide. Smile

So, yes lots of brighter colors. And your done there. No competition what so ever when it comes to everything else.

If you dont agree, feel free to come on over and I will introduce you to some lame, big, lethargic, fish. Oh wait, I dont have that, so if thats what you want to see, you wont find it at my place.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead.

Seems you took it a bit personnel. haha For one I don't have my tank overstocked so no it's not a bunch of chihuahua's. running around. I will say I have seen some tanks that do resemble that. As far as personality hard to say but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me.

To each his own.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-09-07, 19:02

Most interactive fish I have ever owned were Oscars. They are like dogs.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-07, 19:07

JimA wrote: As far as personality hard to say but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me.

To each his own.

haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha haha

Thats a good one. Very Happy

Im trying to get a rise out of some of them, so we can get more interaction. scratch Maybe they should go swimming with my fish. whistle whistle whistle whistle LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 19:25

JimA wrote:but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me. To each his own.
Id Hit It Sorry Ive just always wanted a reason to use that one!

You gave a whole new meaning to "loving" your pets Hug
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-07, 19:35

DMD123 wrote:
JimA wrote:but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me. To each his own.
Id Hit It Sorry Ive just always wanted a reason to use that one!

You gave a whole new meaning to "loving" your pets Hug

It's one of the reasons I like Africans as well?

I like to watch Cool

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 19:46

Idea So that what it means when someone posts "Help me sex my fish" LMFAO
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2011-09-07, 20:46

I have a love for Both but i think My african tank is a great piece for a dull room because all the activity yet the larger C/S Am's would make a better Focal tank in a living room or dining room... i have quit gettin africans and thinking of getting rid of mine because i cant seem to add a new 2-3 fish ever.. all will end up dead plus one of my ones tht ive had ='( but life goes one... i have taken a liking for rams, convicts in a tank of tetras and smaller cats, and Angelfish =-) nauratic to peaceful (with exception of breeding convicts >.<)
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-07, 22:03

Billiethekid wrote:I have a love for Both but i think My african tank is a great piece for a dull room because all the activity yet the larger C/S Am's would make a better Focal tank in a living room or dining room... i have quit gettin africans and thinking of getting rid of mine because i cant seem to add a new 2-3 fish ever.. all will end up dead plus one of my ones tht ive had ='( but life goes one... i have taken a liking for rams, convicts in a tank of tetras and smaller cats, and Angelfish =-) nauratic to peaceful (with exception of breeding convicts >.<)

What have you got for the africans?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2011-09-07, 22:18

4 Red Zebras from Larry Beck (well 3 from him 1 from their spawn =-)) 2 kenyi (not the killers.. big chickens infact) and a M. Gresheki (SP) then 2 jewels plus one unknown Blue one... Used to have 2 livingstonii 3 more Red Zebras and 2 others i dont rememebr till i tried to add 2 then game over....
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-09-07, 22:53

If I were to get africans, I won't be heading to the pet stores. I would agree it would be pretty dull and boring. LFS didn't convince me into africans, I got to visit fish farms and local fish breeders and go after the UNCOMMON ones.. I compare my fronts to oscars. Frontosa can get up to 14" and they are one of my favorites.

see my pics below....that was enough to get me hooked on em

gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-09-07, 22:56

Billiethekid wrote:4 Red Zebras from Larry Beck (well 3 from him 1 from their spawn =-)) 2 kenyi (not the killers.. big chickens infact) and a M. Gresheki (SP) then 2 jewels plus one unknown Blue one... Used to have 2 livingstonii 3 more Red Zebras and 2 others i dont rememebr till i tried to add 2 then game over....

I see they were put in a 30 gallon tank, you need to go bigger to see success, and more fishes. more fishes=less agression
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-09-07, 23:00

Stupid? little? chihuahuas with no personality? WTF? Evil or Very Mad

I love my African cichlids. I would never describe them as dull, boring, or stupid. They don't have the type of personality that some of the large CA/SAs have, but to say they have no personality is wrong.

I like all of the different types of cichlids, old and new world. I just prefer the Africans.

Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-07, 23:01

gobluecichlids wrote:I compare my fronts to oscars. Frontosa can get up to 14" and they are one of my favorites
These I will admit, I like. Probably because they remind me of CA/SA cichlids too. tongue

Very nice fish, thanks for the pictures!

Come on guys lets keep this going, how about some more pictures of the little fruit loops. (Have to have read earlier comments by madness to understand)
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-07, 23:51

Not bad, very nice. I really like the 5th picture.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-08, 10:59

I've had oscars and really enjoyed them, Now I have a colony of fronts and they eat from my hand just like the oscars did. They are very comparable in personality. I switched to africans When I moved because my water is very hard and high PH. perfect for rift fish right out of the tap.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-08, 12:18

Really, if I were to set up an African tank, I think I would go all Frontosa. They look good, they get big, and really look a lot like C/S Am. Cichs. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-08, 13:01

bassetman wrote:I've had oscars and really enjoyed them, Now I have a colony of fronts and they eat from my hand just like the oscars did. They are very comparable in personality. I switched to africans When I moved because my water is very hard and high PH. perfect for rift fish right out of the tap.

I am on a well and the water is very hard as well, one of the reason I chose Africans also.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-09-08, 19:57

In response to the original post:
They come in a large variety of colors. Here are just a few, these are some of the species I keep or have kept in the past.

They come in a variety of sizes. I've read that the Boulengerochromis microlepis from Lake Tanganyika can grow up to 36 inches (at least in the wild). I have a couple of species that reach 10 - 12 inches and one species that's small enough to fit into snail shells.

Personality is hard to show in pictures, but I have some real characters. Some of mine like to be hand fed and will swim into my hands -- I've even had some jump out of the tank and land on the lid or at my feet. My saulosi like to bite me!

Female mouthbrooders will go weeks without food while their babies are developing in their mouths.

I enjoy keeping them and nine of my tanks are African cichlid tanks.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-08, 20:25

I have a 75 Gallon with Mbunas and the 200 with 10 fronts (Kigoma F1). The Mbunas are great to watch, with complex interactions. The Fronts are Relaxing and peaceful. The two tank contrast each other nicley. Great photos Betty, some really nice fish. Very Happy
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-09-08, 21:29

really great pics! Smile thanks for sharing them

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-08, 22:27

Yes, lots of color, and.......................................................... just not my thing. Dont see anything in those pics that would lead me to want to start an African tank. Sorry. Thy look nice though.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-09-08, 22:57

No need to be sorry, madness. I'm not trying to convince anyone to start an African tank. Just responding to the " tell me about your Africans" in the first post.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-09-08, 23:22

Not a sorry cause you didnt convince me, its a sorry cause I just dont see why. Sad

But come on all of you, tell us more about your African tanks. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-09, 12:32

madness wrote:Really, if I were to set up an African tank, I think I would go all Frontosa. They look good, they get big, and really look a lot like C/S Am. Cichs. Very Happy
There a handful of Africans I would consider, the Fronts would be on my list. Some of the Tilapia's are pretty cool and of course the Emperor cichlid!

So it took a "your fish are lame" to get you African keepers posting. Expect more, boxing I like to see the activity here!

Almost forgot, nice pictures Betty, those fish look very nice! Keep up the good work! Spot On
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-09-09, 14:21

HOLY CRIMMINY! What gorgeous photos!!! I love the Africans - especially the Malawi Mbunas! Before I left the hobby in the 70's, I was keeping and raising them in some 110g tanks before my work and my family duties became overwhelming. THAT won't happen again!

I will be setting up my next tank with Mbunas in the next few weeks (I hope - gotta find a place for it!). I am not a SW guy. I love FW. I'm not a monster fish guy either (adult angels are the largest I keep...so far, but you know how interests evolve and change!). I love the smaller species and their intricate body designs and colorations.

As far as dull & boring...as Dr. Phil would say, "What's up with that?" If you want exciting, active, colorful, fish with fun behaviors, just set up a tank full of Mbunas! If you want aggressive fish, just put the right mix together and you got 'em! Same for less aggression. And their rock scraping feeding behavior and colors will rival the SW reef fish.

I don't knock the enthusiasts who keep large fish. This is a great hobby and provides different strokes for different folks. And I enjoy visiting LeisureMan's home with all his big fish. Maybe he should charge me admission fees! But, as one fish keeper said to me as he was downsizing his fish sizes, there's a lot of wasted tank space when you have a 90 gallon tank with just 2 large cichlids and a plecostomus in it.

As I am jumping back into this hobby, it amazes me how many more species have been introduced. It is not surprizing to see scientific names changing as the relationships between species are becoming better recognized and defined. Also, the knowledge we now have available about the fish, their habitats, and their health issues (The Malawi Bloat used to kill my Mbunas and I could not figure it out. Didn't even have a name for it then!) has increase multifold.

Okay....That's my bit for the day! I'll step down from my soapbox and let someone else have it! Nice thread. I'm learning who to go to for Mbuna help in the future!

BTW, DMD123....Good work to keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pot-stirrer, you!! Razz

Ron

fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-09, 15:10

fishloverRon wrote:BTW, DMD123....Good work to keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pot-stirrer, you!! Razz
Thanks Ron,

What I found funny was how lame of a response I got from the CA/SA people when I posted Festae-Whats the big deal? These are the Holy Grail of fish to CA/SA keepers yet not much said... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

African fishkeepers must just have more pride in their fish for the response has been much better. Or else they really do feel like they have to defend their dull, boring fish boxing Just a joke haha
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-09-09, 15:24

I know what you are! We are of like kind! I was dubbed "Maytag" this week by my wife's cousins while vacationing with them because I'm such an agitator!

And BTW: We need no defense. We Mbuna types don't have to have big things just to build our "self confidence"....Just got to get those big, cumbersome Cichs out of the way so you can see, THEN appreciate the beautiful, delicate Mbunas and all they have to offer!

Long live the pot-stirrers, for they shall keep things lively! And I'll drink to that! beerchug
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-09-09, 15:56

fishloverRon wrote:We Mbuna types don't have to have big things just to build our "self confidence"....Just got to get those big, cumbersome Cichs out of the way so you can see, THEN appreciate the beautiful, delicate Mbunas and all they have to offer!

Are you trying to say the CA/SA fishkeepers are trying to "compensate" for something?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-09-09, 17:19

ROTFLMFAO

and for the unannointed that means: Rolling on the floor laughing my finned ankles off!!!!
LMFAO
haha

fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-09, 20:38

My Boring , Dull Frontosa fry are growing up nicley.[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-09, 20:54

My Mbunas are doing fine as well... in a dull boring way.[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2011-09-09, 21:12

All nice!! Here's a couple of mine.

Larry will reconize this one Very Happy

Last edited by JimA on 2011-09-18, 10:04; edited 2 times in total

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-09, 21:20

Very nice, in a dull, boring way Razz
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-09-09, 21:57

fishloverRon wrote:
As I am jumping back into this hobby, it amazes me how many more species have been introduced.

these neat species are out there and seen plenty of nice ones while I lived out east, we haven't been able to introduce many to the Seattle area. I am one of the few who had experienced a good number of uncommon ones. Some I won't get again and some I still look for.... like these below:

gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-09, 22:08

Excellent pics, what are the 1st and 4th varieties?
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2011-09-10, 00:18

They are beautiful fish! Nice job raising them!
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-10, 01:48

#4 is a Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Chewere"
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-10, 01:54

Thanks I'd not seen that one before, quite beautiful.
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-09-10, 02:09

Jeff, is #1 the Mpanga? I can't tell for sure, but it looks like a Ps. to me.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2011-09-10, 02:18

I'll find it somewhere. I am getting some more to fill out my tanks. but first I have to sell abot 40 fry, all Auratus .
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next