Expensive Plecos-worth it?

5 posters

Go down

Expensive Plecos-worth it? Empty Expensive Plecos-worth it?

Post  DMD123 2011-08-28, 14:11

Like many I have a Pleco but it is not an expensive one. Its a smaller sailfin variety. I have been thinking about something a little less common but have to ask is it worth it?

I love the looks of royal's but they seem to hide all the time. Gold nuggets seem sensitive and not all that hardy. Any recommendations for a nice, not so common pleco that looks good?

Also in my tank it will have to get large enough not to get eaten and can hold its own against CA cichlids. Suggestions?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Expensive Plecos-worth it? Empty Re: Expensive Plecos-worth it?

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-08-28, 16:06

I had gold nuggets and it's not hardy at all, I have lost every one of these. Right now I still have L190 Royals and they are pretty hardy fishes, plus a L163 big spot and several L199 left.

Plecos are not cheap, but do hold thier value. Most are difficult to breed, so they are imported from SA, which shipping cost and import duties are added to the cost of the plecos.

Bristlenose plecos are very popular and does a better job as an algea eater than a common pleco, and poops far less. it is common to find young bristlenose plecos avail for sale locally.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-08-29, 17:22

I like the look of the bristle nosed plecos but would pretty much have to acquire an adult right from the start to be able to live with my fish. My L001 gets into fights with the Midas and of course ends up with some fin damage but its a pretty tough fish and seems to do alright. I just wish for something a bit more colorful/nicer looking.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-08-29, 21:58

I have snowflakes, mustard spots, vampire, bristlenose, butterfly, chocolate, gold nugget and another awesome looking one that I cant remember the title. I will try and find out. But none of them are in the 300 with the big boys. The Chocolate is with the Parachromis, and the rest are either in my Vieja/Paratheraps tank, or my grow out tank. They all look awesome though I dont see them much. But when I do, they look awesome. My unknown pleco and my Vampire are very aggressive. They attack my other fish when they get to close. I love them though. And they were not cheap. Sad
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2011-08-29, 22:14

I'm not sure if expensive plecos are worth it, but I do know that the expensive ones are sought after by a ton of people... So if you do invest in plecos and have the knowledge to get them to breed, you'll make your money back and some.

I, for one, love the look of almost all plecos but in my tanks they are just there to do their job. I usually go with the rubber lips
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-08-29, 22:28

I would love to get a royal but Ive heard that I can kiss the wood goodbye because they are little saw mills when it comes to munching on the driftwood.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2011-08-29, 23:23

have found that there a quite a few that eat wood or meat.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2011-08-29, 23:50

worth every red cent
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-08-30, 01:44

I'll be heading to Olympia this weekend, if anyone interested in L199 zebras, L190 Royals and L163 plecos (all wildcaught), let me know, will meet alongside I-5.

The royals are chewing on the bogwoods, they don't seem to grind much off...I also feed them shrimp pellets.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-08-30, 12:42

How much for a royal and what size?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down