Pleco_Party
Kaie
Big Fish Aquatics
10 posters

Go down

oddball and rare fish ,,,policy Empty oddball and rare fish ,,,policy

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2011-05-23, 02:13

do your research on the predator fish .

as others on this forum and regulars in my area have been told i do not guarantee the temperament of aggressive fish ,i say that to everyone,and many other shops that carry oddballs say the same thing

do your home work.i cannot teach each person that walks through my door everything about all the fish i have in my shop

and you said to me,/ do i get a discount on the ahli females for talking my brother into the water cow?, as the 2 of you began debating where to put the fish i said ill let you guys talk and continued on with my other shop duties,the 2 of you chose the fish ,all i did was offer discounts on what you chose ,not meant to be taken as pressure

i spoke with your brother on the phone today ,he remembers the conversation of fish combatability ,other than saying im sorry for your bad luck ,what can i do for the uneducated?

you do not have knowledge enough to be sold a ray,,nor was there any talk of any future purchase,

you were given another chance

,don't come back ,that was your last chance,as a one man show it is hard enough to keep healthy fish and that many types of fish,you are common talk @ a couple other stores,soon to take the same approach as im doing now.

i reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason ,your strange fruit man,i dont need your drama every time you come in

keep your butt out of my shop

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

oddball and rare fish ,,,policy Empty Re: oddball and rare fish ,,,policy

Post  Kaie 2011-05-23, 02:25

My mind is boggled that anyone would buy any LIVE ANIMAL [children included] before doing any research on it. Regardless of its predatory skills or lack there of.

As i do agree that more pet stores should do more educating to purchasers. When they dont does that mean its a free for all? Just do whatever?

I know for me and others i know. I know EVERYTHING about EVERY species of fish i own. Even if ive purchased something on a whim because i thought it was pretty. I did at least look it up on my phone before leaving the shop regardless of price.

ITS A LIFE. Every life should be treated as you would like to be treated. Grow up and take responsibility for your lack of common sense.
Kaie
Kaie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pleco_Party 2011-05-23, 02:52

Amen!
Pleco_Party
Pleco_Party

https://www.facebook.com/christophermbrantley

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-05-23, 02:57

Kaie wrote:I know EVERYTHING about EVERY species of fish i own.

Hmm... Rolling Eyes
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2011-05-23, 03:08

i should say that the guy does hang out ,pulls up a chair and looks up everything online that he likes,i leave him to it while i sell fish and clean tanks,its kinda kool cause he teaches me stuff @ the same time.not a whole lot ,i dont want his head to get any fatter than it already is:laughhard:

for those that really know me ,ive never claimed to be a know it all,im always learning something from someone,

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  rattle1972 2011-05-23, 03:48

i run a business that gets people in that are completely ignorant to what they are getting....for example.. i had a kid come in that wanted two lightning bolts tattooed on the side of his neck. (witch is the ss lightning bolts of the german nazis). i asked him why he wanted a stupid tattoo like that, he said he saw it on someone, and wanted it cause he thought it was cool looking... i educated him on the meaning of the tattoo, and he inevitably decided to not get the tattoo..i could of made $100 on the tattoo, but i chose to sleep that night instead..it only takes a couple minutes to find out one way or the other.

point is as a biz owner, you are responsible for educating the ignorant. or living with fact of the consequences of not doing so..

my 2 cents...

peace!!!
rattle1972
rattle1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2011-05-23, 04:13

i do agree ,i talk many people out of the fresh water rays that i carry ,most of the time its due to tank size,a couple wanted to buy the 2 oscars i have had forever for their new 90 gallon ,when they said new ,i asked how new? it had been running for a week empty of fish ,as we talked i sold them 4 med goldfish for 5 each ,refundable next friday when they bring in a water sample and the goldfish,

ive been doing water tests on pond water all week .most of them are high on the ph ,ive been giving away free ph down in hopes of selling fish .

each person has their own scenario,i try my best to accommodate.

i cannot treat everyone as ignorant .they must show concerns of some sort for me to feel the need to step out of the normal type questions i usually ask

the 2 fellas showed all signs of knowing what they were getting or i would have begun the debate about the water cow

keep in mind when dealing with close minded know it alls ,i can either kick them out or sell them what they wish to purchase ,

many many different situations during the course of a week,i do my best to try to help the customers chose the best fish to fit their needs ,always with the health and safety of the fish first and foremost ,that i can guarantee

i know what my responsibilities are in this business just as do you .

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-05-23, 08:32

I recommend people also do research online. Same thing for frontosa...I advise customers they need a tank 5ft long or bigger as they get big. Just be prepared, and always ask other fellow hobbyists in forums who has/had experience with them.

There are global sites like cichlid-forum.com, planetcatfish.com, waterwolves.com, cyphos.com, trophs.com and so on that you can find useful informations from others who have knowledge about these particular fishes.

gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-05-23, 09:34

It just amazes me how some people buy fish and ask for advice on them after they're already in their tank.. Rolling Eyes or have killed off half their fish and don't know why.. I wish more people would just google stuff and learn a little before buying.
When i got into rays i could have just went out and dropped a couple grand and threw them in my tank but instead spent about 6-8 months of reading and picking the experts brains before i took the plunge.. And damn glad i did.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon 2011-05-23, 10:28

Drama much? And didn't Mikey say in the other thread to keep it in PM?
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2011-05-23, 10:52

I research fish by asking people who keep them. I'm always asking rattle1972 about compatibility and aggression issues and such with my SA Cichlids. I also ask Kevin at A Place For Pets before I put anything in the tank.

I think the issue here is that Addicted feels Jeff didn't give them input when they were purchasing the fish. While I can see both sides, I think it is an unfortunate incident that will not be resolved and is best taken off the forum. Let the two of them hash it out via PM. Personal attacks never resolved anything.
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey 2011-05-23, 11:05

...Please keep this in PM's. It's a little out of hand now. Thanks.
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down