gobluecichlids
sandnuka
Mikey
aaronfeeney
8 posters

Go down

food recommendations Empty food recommendations

Post  aaronfeeney 2010-04-21, 21:43

what would you guys use for growing out peacocks and similar africans.

would fresh zucchini be ok.. been using this on plecos for years?
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

food recommendations Empty Re: food recommendations

Post  Mikey 2010-04-22, 00:07

aaronfeeney wrote:what would you guys use for growing out peacocks and similar africans.

would fresh zucchini be ok.. been using this on plecos for years?

Yes, zucchini would be fine. I do brine shrimp when they are fry, and as they get older I use spirulina flakes, kelp flakes, and krill flakes along with fresh or frozen peas and lettuce finely chopped.
Mikey
Mikey
Contributing Member

http://www.wafishbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-03, 02:49

Ive been keepin Africans for a long time... and allot of different lakes too..... Really your question is hard, I kinda base it on the fish.... and if I am breeding them.... I agree with Mikey on the Spirulina though.... HBH Super soft spirulina pellets worked the best for keeping colors the brightest, keep them breeding well. Oh, and the best part is they love it!
I tend to be pretty generious with bloodworms with the malawii guys though..... They really go nuts over it, I know its not the healthiest stuff though... but the more they eat, seems faster they grow. So mix with some spirulina stuff again, and I got some fantastic healthy fish.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

food recommendations Empty hmmm

Post  aaronfeeney 2010-05-08, 01:09

ya think flake(spirulena, and basic tropical fish flake) daily and add protein once or twice a week maybe?? and an occasional fresh veggie?
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-08, 01:31

Kensfish.com pretty sure this guy does it all, As far as food goes.

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-05-08, 17:55

Ive tried using fresh vegie, cucumber, etc.... no luck, fish never really took too eat.... and it would start to turn bad if I left it too long, so I personally dont use it.... heard some people have good luck with it?

Last edited by sandnuka on 2010-05-21, 23:35; edited 1 time in total
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2010-05-17, 02:26

I feed my fry with New Life Spectrum Growth formula, they go a long way. I feed my adults and larger juvies with Omega one sinking pellets or NLS cichlid formula.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-05-21, 22:57

New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula for me! I used to buy it from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but they sell it at Blue Sierra in Renton at about the same cost as Ken's would be after shipping. My fish go CRAZY over it.

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2010-05-22, 12:38

Spyral wrote:New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula for me! I used to buy it from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but they sell it at Blue Sierra in Renton at about the same cost as Ken's would be after shipping. My fish go CRAZY over it.

If you buy the smaller sizes, yes, get it at the store. Go online for larger sizes. You can actually save a lot that way splitting large sizes with fellow hobbyists.

2270 grams (5lbs) average $55 including ship. therefore 300 grams would be about $7.27

All of my fishes like NLS...be sure you get the sinking kind. My fronts do not go for the floating ones.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-06-02, 13:56

Petco stores will be carrying NLS in July (some stores already have it). However, they will only carry the small sizes.

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-06-02, 14:48

I definitely agree: New Life Spectrum. My local Petco carries it at a great price! I used their betta formula, but all of their formulas are well-crafted using highly digestible protein sources and such.
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ashley-Kate-Schneider/781865286

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-06-02, 18:54

+1 for NLS - I use Grow for my young fry, 1mm pellets for 1-3" fish and 3mm pellets for larger fish. All are cichlid specific. I buy in bulk just to drive down costs a bit further.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-06-06, 20:40

I use Hikari Gold with Hikari Excel (made for herbivorous African cichlids). I also add a multivitamin(mainly for B-vitamins, don't contain zinc) + garlic supplement to the pellets.

I like NLS, but it's too expensive for me. I think the going online rate for NLS is 5 lbs for $50. I buy 22 lbs of Hikari Gold from Drfostersmith.com for around $120 when they have their 25% of sale (twice a year). [Hikari staple is around $90 for 22 lbs].

Forgot to mention, This food is for my Hap Moorii (More on the carnivorous side, micro-predators). I mix with 1:1 Hikari Excel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

food recommendations Empty salt water food

Post  stingray27 2010-06-06, 21:19

hi i was wandering what the kind of salt water food i should get for my pets. i have tuns of fish so i want the best overall

stingray27
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-06-06, 22:15

Stingray - Lets post that question in the saltwater fish.... Sure we will get some good responses! Im curious to the answer myself.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down