lilfishie
Doza
Llovsbarbie
7 posters

Go down

BIG DELIMA: puffer fish with Ich Empty BIG DELIMA: puffer fish with Ich

Post  Llovsbarbie 2010-12-06, 01:10

Soo....

Last week my husband had to go up to the Seattle area and came home to surprise me with a porcupine puffer fish (even though I know it is for him) It was very nice of him, but I wasn't prepared for it. We currently don't have a quarantine tank or spare tank to treat the fish. I believe it may have Ich. It has tiny white specks on its fins, tail and even its body. Most of the day it is on the floor of the tank. I did read that is normal due to them being nocturnal, but figured I would mention it. He wont eat anything, but krill (which isn't good for him at all).

So I figured I would go to all of you that are my fishy friends and possibly ask for help. I have no quarantine tank and now have him in my main tank and I am afraid of them getting it. He didn't come home with it, but the last few days seems to have just appeared. I am looking for advice as to treating it with him in the main tank. I have read that most treatments will kill off my good bacteria (live rock etc). If all else fails, I would be willing to give him to someone who can treat him. I really don't want to have to do that and he has already grown on me, but I don't want him to suffer nor put my fish through any more. Any advice would be nice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ps: I've added pics for you guys to see what I am talking about. Some have said that because puffers are sticky, sand can stick to them, but I figured I would let you decide. Thanks.

Llovsbarbie
Llovsbarbie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

BIG DELIMA: puffer fish with Ich Empty Re: BIG DELIMA: puffer fish with Ich

Post  Doza 2010-12-06, 02:26

Looks like good ole ich to me
Doza
Doza
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-12-06, 13:35

Here is a good write up on marine ich
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Llovsbarbie 2010-12-06, 23:11

My situation has only gotten worst. I came home today from work to find his lower half some how stuck in the power head. He is doomed. His total waist down is deformed and red. He isn't going to make it. Is there a recommended way of letting him go? These last few days have been so stressful. I feel so bad for him now.
Llovsbarbie
Llovsbarbie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-12-07, 11:31

Clove oil if you have it. In a seperate container, overdose him with it, it will put him to sleep. Unfortunately most people dont have it so it means (not really recommended either) a fast blow to the head. Most people cant do it, so I would go to a healthfood store and get the clove oil.

So sorry it has come to this.
Sorry I didnt get back to you last night.

Euthanasia-putting a marine fish down
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Llovsbarbie 2010-12-07, 23:37

I appreciate you replying, but it is to late. He passed away last night. I feel terrible. I honestly just want to give up on all of this right now. A power head? I can't even imagine how he had rigged himself in that one. Is this something that could have been prevented? Does this happen often, that you know of? Sad
Llovsbarbie
Llovsbarbie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-12-07, 23:52

I don't know anything about saltwater fishkeeping, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you lost the puffer. Don't let it discourage you too much -- these sad things happen to us all at some point. Crying or Very sad
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Fish Aquatics 2010-12-08, 00:28

sorry to hear the news to friend,

all the fish memories are coming to me and im sure others of fish that have passed.

Santa claus is coming ,you should go get a picture taken with him and tell him you want another one.

Big Fish Aquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-12-08, 02:19

Barbie,

Sorry for your loss. And just wanted to let you know that most likely he simply became too weak and got pulled in. I don't know puffers per se so I could be wrong on that, but there are very few (if any) fish that can't avoid the draw of a powerhead.

If I had to guess I'd say the ich got to him.

Speaking of which, you do still want to do full ich treatment on that tank to ensure your other fish don't get it/have it.

Again, sorry for you loss.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2010-12-09, 16:45

Llovsbarbie wrote:I appreciate you replying, but it is to late. He passed away last night. I feel terrible. I honestly just want to give up on all of this right now. A power head? I can't even imagine how he had rigged himself in that one. Is this something that could have been prevented? Does this happen often, that you know of? Sad

Sorry, my internet is down at home and I dont get on here very often during work. No it doesnt happen with healthy fish. He was probably not doing well when you got him.

There are directional covers for powerheads depending on what you have. If if was new, it should have come with one. Otherwise VorTech brand makes a cover for their powerheads that will fit other brands.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Llovsbarbie 2010-12-10, 00:44

Thanks. I will look into it.
Llovsbarbie
Llovsbarbie
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-12-30, 05:23

Also as most puffers both fresh and saltwater are wildcaught. They are considered to all have parasites. They're especially known to have tape worms. From the pictures, his weight was so low that this is likely the case.

It was a ticking time bomb. The stress from moving him to a new home, plus not being able to put any body fat on.

Obviously all fish should be quarantined. This is especially amplified for puffers.

Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I rarely see a healthy puffer in pet stores these days.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down