+5
Betty
Anthraxx
PokeSephiroth
DMD123
lloyd378
9 posters

Go down

The dragon puffer..... Empty The dragon puffer.....

Post  lloyd378 2014-06-30, 12:57

So in a whim I picked up these two from the new puyallup fish store "fish emporium"  I did some mild research and decided that they must be mine.....

I've been really happy with them so far (day 4) as they aren't lazy like all of the reviews say and they actually swim out of their cave when I come into the garage. They are currently living in my qt tank to make sure they are healthy

Video #1 day / night one in their tank with some rams horn snails

Video #2. Debunking the ambush predator thing... Came out this morning to find they had eaten all fifteen feeder guppies and the heads off of the four mollies I out in there yesterday

Both videos are 50 seconds and the front of the glass is dirty, I just cleaned it today for a new video later
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

The dragon puffer..... Empty Re: The dragon puffer.....

Post  DMD123 2014-06-30, 13:52

Very cool Lloyd!  Spot On 

The Dragon/Humpback/Palembang Puffer is actually one of the milder ones that is said to be able to at least keep with its own. This type also is a bit bigger with the possibility of getting 8". Even though this type is a bit easier going they are still predators and are surprisingly quick when it comes to taking down prey.

I wish more fishbox members would raise puffers, they are a very owner responsive fish and they do come out and beg for food.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-30, 15:09

Forgot to add that even though they require a tank to themselves it really does not have to be that large a tank for these lurkers. Some say a 20L is sufficient but with the waste they create from their diet you want some water volume too. So a 29g or 40B with some good filtration is pretty much all you need at least for a Congo, Hairy, Aroowhead or Dragon.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-30, 19:40

Very cool. Lloyd! I love that you got these little guys! Very Happy

DMD123 wrote:they are a very owner responsive fish and they do come out and beg for food.

I don't know... my Fang Puffer is the laziest thing ever, I don't know if it's because I keep her full of food or not, but I've gone like 3 days without feeding her,and she just stays in one spot. LITERALLY. lol!! I might end up just selling her at some point...
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-30, 19:43

Scruffy the hairy puffer sits but when he is hungry he comes out looking for food.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-06-30, 20:49

lloyd i really like your puffers, definitely a neat fish. nice to see them staying active as well. always wanted to give them a shot and seeing the variety all you guys are keeping definitely gives some inspiration.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-06-30, 21:04

Anthraxx wrote:always wanted to give them a shot and seeing the variety all you guys are keeping definitely gives some inspiration.
 cheers

Last edited by DMD123 on 2014-07-01, 00:35; edited 1 time in total
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-06-30, 22:19

Very cute puffers!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-01, 00:42

Thanks for the kind words and I hope this really does inspire you all.

Here's a short clip from tonight for some reason they are staring upwards like im going to feed them again . Haha
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-01, 08:10

How fun, enjoy those guys.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-01, 09:02

They catch on quick that food comes from above. They are such greedy little guys its so easy to overfeed.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-01, 10:03

DMD123 wrote:They catch on quick that food comes from above. They are such greedy little guys its so easy to overfeed.

Wait, wait , wait..... You can overfeed them? I thought you just kept feeding them until they looked all puffed up!?!  haha 
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-01, 11:20

I overfed once at the beginning and the poor guy sat and looked miserable for days as he was digesting. Im surprised he did not barf it up. They say to feed every other day but I feed once a day but very small portions. Today he got a small nightcrawler. These are pretty handy because you can just put them in the fridge and they keep for quite a while. I am looking for somewhere that sells the shrimp in shell with head and all but have not found them yet. I have been feeding just the raw ez peel type for now.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-01, 11:22

lloyd378 wrote:
DMD123 wrote:They catch on quick that food comes from above. They are such greedy little guys its so easy to overfeed.

Wait, wait , wait..... You can overfeed them? I thought you just kept feeding them until they looked all puffed up!?!  haha 

Oh yeah, forgot to mention to those interested. Puffers have a very elastic stomach. When they eat sometimes the food settles in at an angle and they look very weird. Pretty gross but at the same time kind of fascinating.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-02, 14:42

PokeSephiroth wrote:Very cool. Lloyd! I love that you got these little guys! Very Happy

DMD123 wrote:they are a very owner responsive fish and they do come out and beg for food.

I don't know... my Fang Puffer is the laziest thing ever, I don't know if it's because I keep her full of food or not, but I've gone like 3 days without feeding her,and she just stays in one spot. LITERALLY. lol!! I might end up just selling her at some point...

On The Puffer Forum under the Fangs it says: "Waspish disposition. Active and sociable."

waspish definition: having an irritable and unpleasant disposition

Apparently your puffer can not read.  whistle 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hose91 2014-07-03, 00:21

They're fantastic! What size tank will you ultimately house them in? Also, did the new fish shop have more puffers (of any kind) in stock? I'm definitely on the edge of jumping into the puffer pool, so to speak! I would not have put these on my list, but I may have to change my mind. I'm looking to keep more than one together, and house them comfortably in a planted/decorated 40B that is currently sitting empty in my garage.
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-07-03, 07:09

I think my puffer is just spoile and lazy hahaha!!
Hose91, you wouldn't want to happen to buy my puffer off of me do you? Razz

Anywho, the dragon puffer looks really neat, I kinda wish I had one now. Hahahaha.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 09:47

hose91 wrote:They're fantastic!  What size tank will you ultimately house them in?  Also, did the new fish shop have more puffers (of any kind) in stock?  I'm definitely on the edge of jumping into the puffer pool, so to speak!  I would not have put these on my list, but I may have to change my mind.  I'm looking to keep more than one together, and house them comfortably in a planted/decorated 40B that is currently sitting empty in my garage.  

A 40B is a good size but it is recommended to have 40 gallons for one of these puffers. Probably would want to increase gallons a bit to deal with waste if you had more than one.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 11:12

PokeSephiroth wrote:I think my puffer is just spoile and lazy hahaha!!
Hose91, you wouldn't want to happen to buy my puffer off of me do you? Razz

Anywho, the dragon puffer looks really neat, I kinda wish I had one now. Hahahaha.

Your puffer would be a great starter. It is a little bit smaller and would do fine in a 20 gallon tank. And I have not seen the Fangs available for sale around here, so a unique puffer that hardly anyone else would own.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-03, 12:55

House91 they had dragon puffers, as well as a couple of brackish ones but that's all I saw
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 12:58

The brackish are usually either Figure Eight's or Green Spotted, If they had another type.... I might even be interested
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-03, 13:02

I can't remember... I will check next time. Going to probably head over today to get some snails
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 13:08

what kind of price and type on the snails? I may need to try that out on mine.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 13:15

I can't wait to get my snail set up going so I can quit BUYING pest snails. So annoying. Once I get the bigger tank set up I am going to put some floating plants in a 5 gallon underneath his tank and add a bunch of snail and let them breed like crazy! lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 13:33

What kind of price/type on pest snails?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-03, 13:36

I was using rams horn .... Not sure but heard you could breed them in any container as long as you have an airstone in with them
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 13:39

I've been paying 4/$1 or 8/$1 depending upon who is in the store for the day.  Rolling Eyes They are the bladder snails. I ended up getting a few snail on plants I bought on here. Which I was totally okay with! lol So they are starting to breed in my 30 gallon. I saw last night a small cluster of eggs so I'm hoping they hatch out. Most people want to get rid of snails. I want them to breed so I have puffer food! lol This is what I am going to rely on for a food source while I'm gone on vacation for my puffer. Easy way to do it. I am going to buy a bunch this weekend and start them in a small 1 gallon tank I have some plants in growing out. Then probably buy a few more before I leave. I gotta get stuff to make Apple Pie, uhhh, alcoholic delicious knock-you-on-your-butt beverages and the pet store is close to the liquor store. Very Happy
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 13:41

What type of price on the ramshorns? I have been using frozen raw shrimp for pretty cheap and small nightcrawlers from Walmart and the price is not too bad. Still looking for a place to find shrimp in the shell with head and all... might have to try an Asian market.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 13:43

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I've been paying 4/$1 or 8/$1 depending upon who is in the store for the day.  Rolling Eyes They are the bladder snails.
Thanks for that info!

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:and the pet store is close to the liquor store. Very Happy
Never a good combo  LMFAO
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 13:45

Never a good combo  LMFAO[/quote]

Haha Smile Luckily it's not something I visit frequently but I need some Everclear and vodka Very Happy Going to be a good camping trips hehe
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 13:48

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:but I need some Everclear and vodka Very Happy Going to be a good camping trips hehe
Helps with roasting marshmallows if you dip them in it first?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 13:54

Actually another friend is bringing marshmellows, you toast them and then fill the center with Bailey's mmmmmm Very Happy I'm making (before and after category) Apple Pie Moon shine in the sky, for camping.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 14:20

Sorry for the thread jack lloyd!! I apologize, it's too easy to jump topic.  Embarassed 
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-03, 14:32

DMD123 wrote:

This is what makes APFP so dangerous ... the irish pub next door.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-03, 17:00

Haha, never a need to apologize! I love the discussions to matter where they take us.

Dmd I think I bought 15 snails for 3 dollars something like that. I thought they would be fine in the same tank but those dragons demolished them.... I'll keep them in a separate place now
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 17:04

lloyd378 wrote:Haha, never a need to apologize! I love the discussions to matter where they take us.

Dmd I think I bought 15 snails for 3 dollars something like that. I thought they would be fine in the same tank but those dragons demolished them.... I'll keep them in a separate place now

Some people get upset about thread jacking, I think most of those have weeded themselves out now. We all seem more of friends than forum acquaintances these days. Smile I think Madness' videos are going to make that even better. It's nice having visual on tank and faces and how people do things, it just accentuates what we read amongst each other on here. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 17:06

dwarfpike wrote:
DMD123 wrote:

This is what makes APFP so dangerous ... the irish pub next door.

Irish pub?? Where! My boyfriend is Irish and we are always looking for new places to ride the bike to on sunny days! What better of a place to head than an Irish bar!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-03, 17:15

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:
lloyd378 wrote:Haha, never a need to apologize! I love the discussions to matter where they take us.

Some people get upset about thread jacking, I think most of those have weeded themselves out now. We all seem more of friends than forum acquaintances these days. Smile I think Madness' videos are going to make that even better. It's nice having visual on tank and faces and how people do things, it just accentuates what we read amongst each other on here. Smile

Sweet, so when are you and your boyfriend going to host madness for his next video. Haha, the pressure is on now.

And the Irish pub is right next to a place for pets in burien. Though unless your bikes have motors it may be a long ride from the coast.  lol! 
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 17:23

lloyd378 wrote:Dmd I think I bought 15 snails for 3 dollars something like that. I thought they would be fine in the same tank but those dragons demolished them.... I'll keep them in a separate place now

Thanks Lloyd! I might just stick with the frozen grocery store seafood for now. I am also looking for some live sand shrimp. I just need to find a bait place that has them. These should have a bit of crunch to them....
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 17:30

lloyd378 wrote:
ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:

Sweet, so when are you and your boyfriend going to host madness for his next video.    Haha, the pressure is on now.

And the Irish pub is right next to a place for pets in burien.  Though unless your bikes have motors it may be a long ride from the coast.  lol! 

Oh man my tanks are nothing to video about! Just boring tropical community fish here. You can only talk about angelfish and tetra so much lo. Let me get them up and planted and we'll see what we can do then. They are in transformation process now.

The bike definitely has a motor. Very Happy He has one of these Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 17:38

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Oh man my tanks are nothing to video about! Just boring tropical community fish here. You can only talk about angelfish and tetra so much lo. Let me get them up and planted and we'll see what we can do then. They are in transformation process now.

Hey dont forget the puffer! Very unique fish to show off.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-03, 17:48

DMD123 wrote:
ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:Oh man my tanks are nothing to video about! Just boring tropical community fish here. You can only talk about angelfish and tetra so much lo. Let me get them up and planted and we'll see what we can do then. They are in transformation process now.

Hey dont forget the puffer! Very unique fish to show off.

lol My "dwarf" GSP? He's pretty cute. He is going to get some tank mates when I get that new set up going for him. Very Happy
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down