What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank

+2
larry.beck
stierwalt3
6 posters

Go down

What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank Empty What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-04, 15:02

I'm putting my wife's 20 gallon tank back together and she wants some African Cichlids! I know the tank is kinda on the small side,but we plan to upgrade to a bigger tank eventually. Can you give us some suggestions on fish that will work in a smaller tank for awhile.

Thanks in advance!
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank Empty Re: What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-04, 15:05

BTW she really likes the looks of the Pseudotropheus saulosi!
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank Empty Re: What are some good African Cichlid choices for a 20gal tank

Post  Guest 2010-09-04, 16:50

I have 10 F1 Saulosi growing out in a 25 gallon tank. They will be OK in there for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-09-04, 20:29

Might want to consider shellies for a 20g.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-09-04, 21:49

I have 8 lamprologus ocellatus in a 20 right now, was thinking of trying to put some rock work in the tank and see if I can put a trip of julidochromis in with them.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-04, 22:00

Dwarfs, apistos, Rams, all are great....cichlids..... only problem, once a pair forms everyone else pretty much dies.

Last edited by sandnuka on 2010-09-05, 01:11; edited 1 time in total
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-09-05, 00:12

Mako shark imo... just sayin
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-09-05, 14:00

If my son was on here he would say, peacocks (Aulonocara's), yellow blaze (Otopharynx Lithobates), Altolamprologus compressiceps (Red Fin), Shellies, and Neolamprologus brichardi

But if it were me, I love the look and the colors of the Yellow Blaze. But I am also partial to the Auloncara's. Love them also.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-05, 16:03

I got a breeding trio... be perfect then Wink .... check out the freshwater fish for sale, sunshine peacock! Then you can sell the babies! or raise them up, thats always fun. and I am not too far from ya.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-07, 15:47

WOW! I was out of town for a couple of days and look at all the responses...you guys are awesome! Anyway the Lithobates and the sunshine peacocks the wife really likes the looks of....It's gonna be a tough decision.

Sandnuka- Those are some nice fish...I'm starting a fishless cycle today on the tank if i can find some ammonia. If you still have the peacocks when the tank is ready,i just might take them off your hands. BTW what fish is that in your avatar pic!? The wife really likes that one!

Thanks again everybody! beerchug
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-07, 19:49

I still have the three for sale.... and I can help ya with the cycle if you want... I have couple used sponge filters, your tank would be ready in a week if you use them....

The avatar picture is of another african, Tropheus..... There are so many types of tropheus, and sooo many colors, but they are not a 20gal or even 30gal fish.... they need a colony of itleast 10, and a 55gal tank at min. actually my tropheus kasanga red rainbows (like the avatar) were spawning today and I got a holding female too. Smile but again, I dont think those guys are for you.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-07, 20:26

Sandnuka PM sent Very Happy
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2010-09-07, 22:01

It looks like my son's Jacobfreibergi "Eureka" is holding. He may have some little ones here soon, and be ready to sell them if your interested in a couple months. Get that bigger tank going. So many awesome fish, and you can't stop at just one. Very Happy

Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-07, 22:17

madness wrote:It looks like my son's Jacobfreibergi "Eureka" is holding. He may have some little ones here soon, and be ready to sell them if your interested in a couple months. Get that bigger tank going. So many awesome fish, and you can't stop at just one. Very Happy

Those are great looking fish as well! Your right the choices are endless!

I think were gonna go with Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 55gal tank...that it don't have yet and Sandnuka's Sunshine Peacocks in the 20gal for now! Laughing
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-08, 00:45

hey, you want to check out our group buy? in the market area go to group buy and check out reserve stock cichlids... great prices, and shippin will be cheap if everyone that says they are gonna buy will still buy. Smile gonna be orderin next week. check it out! they dont have saulousi though.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-09-08, 01:38

I think I'm gonna hold out for some saulousi. punk
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down