Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask..

+10
Cclump
censeoflife
sandnuka
alexmuw
Wolf-Keeper1
Ashley
Mountjoy
Betty
sidekicking
GoodnNuff
14 posters

Go down

Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask.. Empty Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask..

Post  Guest 2010-07-18, 17:25

Although I personally find the Flowerhorn a horrible abomination that are visually unappealing in every way, I just had to post this. It explains the different koks out there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I especially like the split open kok they show..let's you see whats inside an enormous kok.

Back to top Go down

Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask.. Empty Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask..

Post  GoodnNuff 2010-07-18, 17:53

Why am I craving sushi now?
GoodnNuff
GoodnNuff
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask.. Empty Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about Kok, but were afraid to ask..

Post  sidekicking 2010-07-18, 18:53

I agreed with you spy...flowerhorns are ugly creatures
theres a lot of koks out there
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-07-18, 23:29

I'm not even going to say what went through my mind when I read the title of this topic. Shocked

But I learned something! I had no idea those things were called koks. (How do you pronounce that?) I don't like the look of them either.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mountjoy 2010-07-19, 19:24

Just remember Spy, there are many, many flowerhorn lovers in the NW. As an owner Wink

Thanks for posting this.

Mountjoy
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-07-19, 20:22

Oh, I know, I love Frontosa, plenty of people hate them..lol. Just a matter of preference.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-07-19, 20:25

Didn't know there was different types of kok. I prefer the "hard kok" Wink
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-07-19, 20:53

Ashley wrote:Didn't know there was different types of kok. I prefer the "hard kok" Wink

And this is why I love this site..lol..people understand my sense of humor.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-07-28, 15:00

Very intreasting. Being a first time owner of flowerhorns I find this info valuable. Thanks for sharing!
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-07-28, 15:42

whoa! Why does that fish have balls on its head!?!?!? Very Happy

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-07-28, 15:50

I always found the Kok interesting.. Wink ..... honestly, I know allot of people are grossed out by them... Wink ..... but I dont mind seein a nice large kok on a fish every now and then... LMAO! it sounds so terrible,! but i am tryin to be honest. HAHAHA.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2010-07-28, 16:38

I would think having a large misshapen kok would be hard for a fish, kidney shapes and lop sided, yet the idea is to be proud of a kok like that. Seems wrong to want a big soft watery kok. lmao cool fish though love the colors.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-07-28, 16:53

I would be proud of a big kok on my forehead if I were them Smile
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cclump 2010-07-28, 22:58

i was off put by any fish with a kok on them for a long time. thought they were ugly and pointless. then started reading and they are supposed to be lucky, are agressive as all hell, and the nicer ones are truly beautiful fish
now i have 2 2 inchers cheers

Cclump
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-07-29, 14:56

Cclump wrote:i have 2 2 inchers cheers

You have 2 2" koks?

Back to top Go down

Post  GiantKOK 2010-08-13, 01:13

did someone say KOK?!! hahah
GiantKOK
GiantKOK
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  crazyfish253 2010-08-15, 14:57

yep if you like flowerhorn you definitely like KOK
crazyfish253
crazyfish253
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2010-08-15, 18:04

I had a male flowerhorn for 3 years. His name was Brutis and he had such a big knuckle on his head that he swam nose down. Now I know its just extra stored fat and I was obviously feeding him too much. I gave him away when we moved and I miss him terribly now. I keep thinking I will get another one but there is so many other fish to keep and so little room. Thanks for the insight Spyral.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-09-07, 17:23

Both my FH's have hard kok's, I'm glad they don't have a huge thing on their head!
I never thought I would be FH person either but a friend added 2 into a shipment of other fish for free. I've had Fred and Martha for a year now and they are the most personable and smart fish I own, they eat from my hand and play with toys. They even tell me what food they want when I feed them, its the darnedest thing!
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-07, 19:56

cooooool.... that sounds like my midas cichlid (R.I.P.) .... he was so awesome like that.... and honestly, if I wasnt so hard headed about the hybrid thing, I would get a flowerhorn, I think there gorgeous fish.

I do like the medium/large kok, but not like the liver thing... thats waaaaaaay too big.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-09-07, 20:43

They act more like dogs than fish. I'm pretty anti hybrid and don't plan on getting a female for my boys. They are pets not breeders.
Martha's kok may get bigger he is still only about 8". Fred is about 10"ish he never stays still long enough for me to get a decent measurement, his kok probably won't grow much more at all.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-09-08, 00:30

got pictures?
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern 2010-09-08, 10:45

Here is Fred, he lost all of his black a few months back, never figured out why though. So his flower line isn't as impressive any more.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
And here is Martha.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
They are in a divided 90g for now. Their next tank will probably be a divided 120g or something along those lines. Oh and they are about a year and a half to two years old.
Fern
Fern

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-09-14, 21:20

I personaly hate what a flowerhorn is........ but I am always amazed at the color and look of these hybridized mutants. Not trying to start any conflict at all, to each there own. My kok prefrence is the bigger the better and if you have a flowerhorn that is kokless then I am sorry, this is because to me the kok is what makes the flowerhorn attractive well in combination with the color. Each one of these things alone on a flower horn makes it just a hybrid in my eyes, but together you have just a pretty hybrid.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down