KaraWolf
DMD123
Madness
discus_2013
9 posters

Go down

my new congo puffer pics Empty my new congo puffer pics

Post  discus_2013 2014-08-05, 22:27

Just got this lil guy at the pet shop, fish is a Congo puffer, tank is 125g with 100lbs of pool filter sand a bit of Malaysian drift wood, java moss and a java fern... I think. Filtration is a cascade 1000 canister and sponge filter, haven't put the two marineland 360s back on it yet but they will be going on too, lighting is a coralife t5.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/U
[URL=https://s906.photobucket.com/user/mele_ngauamo29/media/IMG_20140805_201018.jpg.html][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

my new congo puffer pics Empty Re: my new congo puffer pics

Post  Madness 2014-08-05, 23:15

What a cool little guy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-05, 23:35

All the cool fishkeepers have puffers! Hint, hint to all you non puffer owners  whistle 

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing discus_2013!

That is a HUGE tank for that little lurker. Do you plan on keeping him in there? They only need like a 40B...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-08-05, 23:50

Yeah I want to keep it in there, I know they only need a small tank but the bigger the better.
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-05, 23:51

How are his eating habits? Has he taken to dead foods? Mine has no issue with taking shrimp or other meaty foods as long as he can see it drop. If it just sits he wont necessarily go after it. Earthworms and nightcrawlers seem to be one of his favorites.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-08-06, 01:22

Mine seems young only about 2.5 inches I think they get to 4 but I don't see much of a beak yet And I got him yesterday, the first day he didn't eat but he has snails in the tank that he hasn't touched, tried a cube of mysis shrimp... didn't touch, put in massive pellets, he nibbled at them, put in blood worm cube and he "hunts" them as they fall I am gonna put in a few guppies once I'm sure my water is stable and see he loves the blood worm though. I am trying to find some feeding tongs as I think he enjoys the hunt more than the food so I will be able to make the food more interactive.
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 09:25

I bought some feeding tongs but have only used them once when I was trying a new food. This type of puffer likely will not feed on snails. I would keep some baitworms in the fridge to have food on hand. You can get them at Walmart for a reasonable price and they keep in the fridge for a while. The wiggling worm should make the Congo happy.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-08-06, 13:38

How will I keep the break in check? Prawns? He does great on the blood worm for now
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-08-06, 13:38

Beak?
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 13:57

Thankfully these types dont have as much beak issues. I feed shrimp in shell and have been on the search for crayfish. Dont need them live but all I can find is cooked frozen. I want raw frozen. I have used some crab in shell for mine to munch on and he just tears into it. My puff eats everything as long as he can see it fall. The only thing he eats without it falling is frozen krill. I dont know why but puffers seem to love it, but according to some sites they claim a diet high in krill can cause lockjaw in puffers. I feed it, but only like once a month.

As to feeding it really is recommended to feed every two to three days. This is usually based on feeding till belly is a bit distended and then letting him work it off. I have been feeding much smaller amounts about every day and a half to have a bit more interaction with my puff. Just be careful not to overfeed. They do puke it up sometimes.

I went with a Hairy puffer because they tend not to bury themselves and are out in the open more. But I could have bought two Congos for what I paid for mine.

Not a high traffic site but some knowledgeable folks on here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The PufferPedia has good basic info.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 14:00

Here is a post I recently did about mine: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-08-06, 14:08

I don't think you can get crayfish frozen raw only live or frozen at least boiled something to do with a toxin they release when they die if not cooked right away. Don't remember exactly what but we were looking into getting them when we got back from the south and didn't have much luck unless we wanted to buy live.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 14:14

Ive read that it takes about three month for the crays to go bad in a frozen state. I have also not seen any place selling live due to Washington State laws. I heard rumor of Pike Place Market having them live but I am not in that area and not sure if rumor is true.

I have thought about getting a trap since they are cheap but not sure where to go to set it up undisturbed. Everything is so high traveled, Im afraid the trap would be stolen if left anywhere without being right next to it.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-08-06, 14:25

Hikari clams on the half shell do well at keep the beaks trimmed. They wear their teeth down while scraping the meat off, Once big enough they just chomp through it.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 14:33

I bought live clams from Albertsons on sale but I end up popping them out to feed. I might just have to try to half them and try that out myself. But I had forgot about that option.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 18:32

So discus_2013 I have to say that is one spoiled little puffer in a big tank! I have been thinking since Ive had such a difficult time trying to find a good occupant for my 72g bowfront that I might consider turning into an awesome puffer tank. Dont tell anyone but it might actually include some live plants.

But like I said its being thought about... not sure just yet!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-08-06, 18:33

Muahah, slowly converting people from SA to planted tanks via puffers! All part of my plan.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 18:47

Yeah, yeah, puffers rule and cichlids drool!  jocolor 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-08-06, 19:09

To be honest I really had no interest in puffer but my aro got to big and my wife wanted it, I really want black calvus, but the puffer has grown on me it has some personality for sure.
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-06, 20:55

Puffers have a ton of personality. Im glad I took the plunge and got one.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-08-10, 18:34

ive heard of people taking like a pantyhose/mesh netting and placing it over the clams. this way they can craft their own version of clams on the half shell, freeze em and then just pop em in when they need to feed. it can save you a little bit of money in the long run and you can add in your own favorite ingredients. also have you thought about catching your own crayfish? its a cheap fishing license and then you can just trap em in your local watershed. i know you may deal with local issues like pollution so its not the best idea just a thought. my buddy used to catch crays all day long in his little stream across the street. we mostly used them as fish bait tho. u guys are making me want one thats for sure, too bad i dont have room for a huge tank Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-10, 19:43

I totally would do crays, just not sure of a place to get them.

Edit: Wanted to add that I am not talking of just going out and getting them without following the law or obtaining proper permit or license. I am talking of the legal harvesting of them including not transporting them alive. As stated before I am just looking for a raw form of the food and it can be dead. Just wanted to clarify that for any new members.

Last edited by DMD123 on 2014-08-11, 13:45; edited 1 time in total
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-08-10, 19:53

do you live near a creek? Start flipping over rocks and see if any swim out. They are pretty much everywhere in WA.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-08-10, 20:01

yup snag a trap from sportco and bait it in any of your local rivers on a weekend. just let it soak for a day or so and just go out and empty it. im sure your puffer would appreciate it Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-10, 20:11

Im not near any creek. I need to find a spot somewhere.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-08-10, 20:34

While feeding my dragon puffers tonight some frozen krill, I witnessed my first bit of aggression toward each other.... I'd love to put a live crawfish in their to keep active and engaged in something other than themselves
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-08-10, 20:43

Remember these very important but stupid laws brought forth by this wonderfully stupid state of ours. Very Happy

Failure to abide by these rules may result in one or more of the following forum actions, depending on severity: private lecture via PM, public lecture via post, deletion of post and / or thread, removal of offending user from Washington FishBox.  The last step is highly unlikely, but please try to respect the rules.

We actively encourage every member here on FishBox to enjoy the aquarium hobby within the confines of the law. Smile

Laws covering aquatic animal and plant species can be broken into three categories.  The first is invasive species - possession, transportation, and sale of these animals and plants within the state of Washington or the United States are prohibited due to their propensity to cause ecological damage.  The second category is protected species - transportation and sale of these animals and plants are prohibited on the basis that they are threatened or endangered in the wild.  The third category is collection laws.

First and foremost: It is illegal to release aquarium animals or plants into the wild, period.  Don't do it, EVER.

Invasive / Pest Species

Animals

Collection Laws

The 2013 Fish Washington Sport Fishing Rules booklet: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In the state of Washington it is illegal to transport live game fish without a permit.  This means that one can't harvest fish from waterways in Washington State and add them to an aquarium.  In addition, it's illegal to sell recreationally caught fish.

Scientific Collection Permits:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's also illegal to collect fish from waters in Washington State for research or public display purposes without a permit.

Washington State Aquatic invasive Animal Species: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
Raw Law Text: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This list covers all invasive aquatic species including vertebrates and invertebrates.  Any species listed under section 1 is prohibited by law meaning they cannot be kept, transported, bought, or sold.  Some common aquaria banned by this law: All crayfish (there are some very narrow exceptions here, read the law for details), snakeheads, piranhas, various carp, round goby, certain gars, rosy red (fathead) minnow.

Last edited by Madness on 2014-08-10, 21:34; edited 1 time in total
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-08-10, 21:14

? Illegal ?!?  I am under the understanding that we do not allow this type of discussion, but illegal is a bit harsh.

But me saying I'd love to watch my puffers eat a live crawfish is opinion and not "illegal." Correct? First amendment and all.....

I will however, keep my thoughts to myself from now on  for this issue to make sure I'm setting a better example .

Last edited by lloyd378 on 2014-08-10, 21:15; edited 1 time in total
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-10, 21:14

Harvesting crayfish is not illegal. Nowhere was it mentioned they were going to be transported live, in fact I have even commented that I had been looking for raw frozen but could only find cooked frozen in store. My puffer does not need them alive but just needs a hard crunchy shell to munch on.  Thank you for the reminder, but I am clarifying my position and mentioning that neither other poster mentioned the transportation of live crays.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-08-10, 21:24

Anthraxx wrote:thought about catching your own crayfish? its a cheap fishing license and then you can just trap em in your local watershed. i know you may deal with local issues like pollution so its not the best idea just a thought. my buddy used to catch crays all day long in his little stream across the street. we mostly used them as fish bait tho. u guys are making me want one thats for sure, too bad i dont have room for a huge tank Smile
how is it illegal if he told him out right that he would need a fishing license?
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-08-10, 21:32

I retract, never saw the license part. How about I change the post above to "Remember these laws" Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-08-10, 21:40

DMD123 wrote:I totally would do crays, just not sure of a place to get them.

MorganEA wrote:do you live near a creek? Start flipping over rocks and see if any swim out. They are pretty much everywhere in WA.

Anthraxx wrote:yup snag a trap from sportco and bait it in any of your local rivers on a weekend. just let it soak for a day or so and just go out and empty it. im sure your puffer would appreciate it Smile

DMD123 wrote:Im not near any creek. I need to find a spot somewhere.

lloyd378 wrote:While feeding my dragon puffers tonight some frozen krill, I witnessed my first bit of aggression toward each other.... I'd love to put a live crawfish in their to keep active and engaged in something other than themselves

But to be honest the 5 posts prior to me posting that, all state putting crayfish in their tanks, and just going out and grabbing some from the river. So how about we read them all ourselves and you will understand why I posted what I did. Very Happy

Not trying to cause anything, but if I am understanding it that way, then so are others and we want everyone here on the box to know what is right and what is wrong. Smile Carry on
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-08-10, 21:43

I see what you mean, that's why I pointed out the part about needing a license. Smile
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-11, 12:25

I found a seafood mix in the frozen food area for like $4 and it had some really small squid/octopus in it. I fed Scruffy a few and he seemed to like it. Still not satisfying his need for crunch but another food he seemed to like. So I think a good addition to a puffers diet.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-11, 13:21

DMD123 wrote:I found a seafood mix in the frozen food area for like $4 and it had some really small squid/octopus in it. I fed Scruffy a few and he seemed to like it. Still not satisfying his need for crunch but another food he seemed to like. So I think a good addition to a puffers diet.

Oh that's a good idea. I know I've seen this mix at winco Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-11, 13:30

A lot of what is in there is cooked but I think the little octopus is raw. I use the rest to make an Asian soup.  Very Happy 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-08-11, 13:34

I may be splitting up my pair.... I watched the smaller one grab the larger one on the top of his head and shake the bigger one. They then both puffed up..... Maybe frozen octopus is the ticket to peace and tranquility
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-11, 13:39

The dragon is supposed to be one of the mellower puffs that will sometimes get along with others. I think at night when mine puffs, he is fighting his reflection. Sorry to hear they are not getting along.  Sad 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-11, 15:30

So I am posting this as a bit of clarification about crayfish harvesting at this time.
Pg 8 of 138 states: "You do not need a license if you are fishing for common carp, crawfish, bullfrogs, smelt or to collect relic shells"

Here is where the clarification comes in, regarding native and invasive species.
NATIVE SPECIES - "Min. size 3¼" from tip of rostrum (nose) to tip of tail. Daily limit 10 lbs in shell. All females with eggs or young attached must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See Statewide gear rules."

NONNATIVE SPECIES - "Must be kept in a separate container. Must be dead before being removed from riparian area (immediate vicinity of water body). No daily limit, size, or sex restrictions. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See Statewide gear rules."

"There is only one native crayfish species in Washington – the signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus). This species can be identified by its uniform brownish coloration, white or light coloration of the claw joint ,and the smooth surface of its carapace and claws compared to that of nonnative species. Native crayfish are the only crayfish that may be removed from the vicinity of the waterbody alive. If you cannot positively identify your catch as a nonnative species, the daily limit and other restrictions listed above for native crayfish apply."

Hope this clarifies the legality of harvesting crayfish.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down