+5
fishNAbowl
DMD123
MRTom
hose91
cichlid-gal
9 posters

Go down

How do you prepare for VACATION TIME? Empty How do you prepare for VACATION TIME?

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-08-04, 08:55

So, getting ready to go a bit of a longer vacation.  Trying to put all our ducks in a row for taking care of the tanks.  We do have a neighbor girl that will be coming in to take care of things while we are gone but she has no tank experience and our daughter, who also has no tank experience, will be her for part of the time.

For preparations we have done the following:

• Put all tank lights on timers (yeah...last time we left for just a couple of days, came back to some algae growth as daughter didn't turn off lights...geez)

We bought pill dispensers for putting the food into.  Doing light daily feedings on some tanks and every other day feedings on other tanks.  Think that will work.

Putting ferts into labeled cups for dosings on planted tank.

I have pulled ALL HOB's and cleaned the boxes, uptakes, and impellers.  They needed it anyway.

Big tank water changes will be done 2 days before we leave and smaller tanks will be done day before we leave

Have shared top off procedures and quick power outage checklist.  I can't think of anything else that someone without experience could handle.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on things we might have forgotten.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

How do you prepare for VACATION TIME? Empty Re: How do you prepare for VACATION TIME?

Post  hose91 2014-08-04, 10:07

Do you have any concern over heaters? Maybe add temp checks to their daily routine and have them write it down, not to keep, but to highlight a big change in temp should a heater go awry?
hose91
hose91
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

How do you prepare for VACATION TIME? Empty Re: How do you prepare for VACATION TIME?

Post  MRTom 2014-08-04, 10:10

Some more ideas...
Make a list for each tank including (which labeled cups and pill dispensers match that tank), as well as how often it is to be fed. Maybe draw a little calendar on it showing which days they need food so they can just check them off. Then stick that list on the tank so things don't get mixed up.

Go buy a dropcam or two (or ten since your tanks are all over the place). Keep the dropcam when you get back and put it on the internet so we can watch your tanks from anywhere Very Happy

Is there a trustworthy company nearby you could prep with emergency actions so that if something horrible happens they can come take care of it? Be it a pet store that your daughter or neighbor can call for help, or a water damage restoration company in case of tank failure?
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-04, 11:24

Sounds like you are on it. I have been going on two week vacations for the past four years and pretty much prepare the same way. I have a fish-sitter who feeds out of pill boxes once a day. I make sure to clean out all filters about two weeks before I leave and do lots of small water changes before I leave to keep water pristine. Then I do a bigger change (apx 40%) right before I leave and I do not feed the day I leave. When I get back the tanks are not that dirty because of the reduced feedings but two weeks without a water change does show some mess. Usually the fish are hungry and excited to see me.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-08-04, 15:19

"We bought pill dispensers for putting the food into. Doing light daily feedings on some tanks and every other day feedings on other tanks."

This is a neat idea!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-08-04, 15:31

fishNAbowl wrote:"We bought pill dispensers for putting the food into.  Doing light daily feedings on some tanks and every other day feedings on other tanks."

This is a neat idea!

Agreed! Never thought of this before, but it's an excellent idea.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-08-04, 15:38

I do all of the above. Then again I rarely go anywhere that extends to more than just a few days. Just entirely to much could go wrong, plus I have yet to find someone that I trust. (youngin that is)

I guess I better figure it out, because I am going to El Paso next May for 7 days.

Have fun Donna, you deserve it and you have done all you can to be prepared. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-08-04, 16:20

Thanks everyone for the feedback...

DMD...we just did regular water changes yesterday so water changes again Weds and Thursday (some tanks Wed, some Thursday) should do the trick to make the water very pristine without causing trouble.

Tom...dropcam...lol...that sounds great but yes, I'd need like 5 or 6 of them...just too many.  We have decided that what happens, happens.  Hopefully there will not be a major problem, like tank breakage or such. And no petstore Tom, other than PetCo in Moses Lake. I guess I should add a water damage place to the call list...just in case of something dire....heaven forbid.  YIKES...this would be my worst nightmare truly not only for us on return but for anyone taking care of the tanks. Dead fish are easy...just remove them (agreed no fun and I'll be mad) but water or breakage...dire. And I think I'll leave a check with my neighbor just in case of need for such an occasion. Yes, that would make everyone feel better I'm sure.

Madness...well then you need to get a vacation or two under your belt. I know since we started doing the fish we have not taken a longer vacation and only been doing short ones so it is a little scary to head out and leave everything. It is one of those times though that I know it will all be worth it Smile

Donna
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-08-04, 16:28

I left for 10 days the early part of July and left all my tank lights off. I lost some of my plants but already have new growth coming back on some. No food was fed except for one day. I was super nervous about leaving since I was having parameter issues prior to going. I came home to everyone fine except the plant loss. I think your set up sounds like it will do well!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-04, 17:04

I also spend time with my fish before I leave and explain to them that I will be back.  haha 

The lights on timers is a good idea too! I have all my tanks on timers but I think that is great for a planted tanks while you are gone.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  plaamoo 2014-08-04, 18:25

cichlid-gal wrote:So, getting ready to go a bit of a longer vacation.  Trying to put all our ducks in a row for taking care of the tanks.  We do have a neighbor girl that will be coming in to take care of things while we are gone but she has no tank experience and our daughter, who also has no tank experience, will be her for part of the time.

For preparations we have done the following:

• Put all tank lights on timers (yeah...last time we left for just a couple of days, came back to some algae growth as daughter didn't turn off lights...geez)

We bought pill dispensers for putting the food into.  Doing light daily feedings on some tanks and every other day feedings on other tanks.  Think that will work.

Putting ferts into labeled cups for dosings on planted tank.

I have pulled ALL HOB's and cleaned the boxes, uptakes, and impellers.  They needed it anyway.

Big tank water changes will be done 2 days before we leave and smaller tanks will be done day before we leave

Have shared top off procedures and quick power outage checklist.  I can't think of anything else that someone without experience could handle.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on things we might have forgotten.

This is much the same as my routine. My lights are all on timers anyway. Daily feeding portions in pill boxes are light. You might consider unplugging all of your heaters unless you have fry or sensitive fish. No chance of a heater malfunction cooking a tank. I do this anyway for the Summer. Instructions for tank sitter to remove any dead fish. I've left for 2 weeks several times and 3 weeks once or twice with this prep and no real problems. Have fun!

plaamoo
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-08-04, 18:28

On one trip I did have a little runt silver dollar die in the 210g and because the fish were being fed light I had nothing but a little bit of bone left when I got back.  Sad 

Last three trips away for over two weeks Ive had zero issues. Have had the same fish sitter each time so she is very familiar with the routine.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down