Building a new tank need suggestions

5 posters

Go down

Building a new tank need suggestions  Empty Building a new tank need suggestions

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-03, 16:39

So im downsizing my 125g for a 40b for my upcoming move in oct (moving that thing empty was difficult enough) so im going to be scavenging a lot of equipment off that. ive got a stocklist in mind already of Tang cichlids. just looking to get more of a natural looking substrate. i love my crushed coral but it leaves a little to desire and tends to wash out photos with a lot of extra light. that being said does anyone have a source for some brown "ish" sand? hardware/pool stores dont have anything thatll fit the bill in my area also. thanks for reading and any suggestions appreciated.

PS: i will be getting pictures as i get stuff worth photographing Smile also looking around locally for Paracyp Nigripinnis (orange flash cyp) and perhaps some shellies. stapperrsi, multies, or pearly occellatus. if anybody knows anyone plz forward my name. thanks again
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Building a new tank need suggestions  Empty Re: Building a new tank need suggestions

Post  DMD123 2014-07-03, 16:48

I dont have Africans but I really like the CaribSea brand of sands. I always wanted to do the 'Ivory Coast' or the black and white mix they have.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Building a new tank need suggestions  Empty Re: Building a new tank need suggestions

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-04, 13:31

see ive never cared for that black white mix, im after more of a natural colored sand. im thinking i may just have to break down and buy actual fish substrate for once. still need some plants and wood pieces as well. im really aiming for an asian inspired hardscape on this tank. ive already got a 3d background ordered and it should be here soon Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-04, 13:33

Are you able to sump it and put the crush coral down below?
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-04, 13:36

its a glass 40g and honestly plumbing is NOT something im comfortable with. i have too many horrible memories of busting up the pool plumbing as a kid Razz. ive always wanted to do a sump just because of the sheer convience tho. the stand im using is built to hold a 55g sump already as well... hrmm ideas.. Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-04, 13:41

If you aren't comfortable drilling the tank, there are HOB style thingies (technical term I know) that work fairly well, but not sure how that would work with your background depending on the type you've chosen.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-04, 13:56

its from designsbynature, so i could easily drill it out to make room for w.e i may need. honestly i was planning to just toss one of my cascade 1500's on it and call it good Smile. maybe you know of a site that sells those HOB "adapters"?? id be interested in looking at that route. im very much about minimalistic use of anything man made in an aquarium.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-04, 19:04

Pool filter sand tends to be a little browner than white sand although some types, like Lane Mountain (I think that's right) are kinda white too. Our PFS comes from the local pool supply store and is really a nice tan. I mix it with the Lane Mountain (?) and get a really nice looking substrate, not too dark, not too light.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-04, 19:30

see none of the pool supply stores within 30 miles of me have anything. its all just crushed recycled glass. and that lane mt. just grows a ton of diatoms for me lol. just my luck. i did buy a small bag of "brown" sand at petsmart for a 10g. i may just go that route again, really liked the look.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-07-04, 20:02

Here was the "thingy" I was thinking of ... but I am sure there are different makes/models.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-04, 20:09

ooooooo pretty. that looks remarkable well built. still would have to look at the overall logistics of building a sump. got plenty of time as i gotta dump the current setup. is there any good sites / articles on sump/sump building? a natural type sump would be nice, maybe something jammed full of plants?
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-04, 21:21

I use an HOB overflow on my 140. Works great.

If you don't use a sump couldn't you stuff some crushed coral somewhere in the canister? I use nylon stocking for bags and fill them up with crushed coral and put them in my filters.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-04, 21:52

oh im planning on mixing some of my crushed argonite into the substrate. really going to need it given the high ph requirements of tangs. it also dbls as helping a lot of the crypts to stay nice and healthy. going to be needing more of them and some java ferns maybe even some moss. id like to set the tank up with a log or two as well. something to break up the hardscape of just lace rock.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-04, 22:17

Anthraxx wrote:see none of the pool supply stores within 30 miles of me have anything. its all just crushed recycled glass. and that lane mt. just grows a ton of diatoms for me lol. just my luck. i did buy a small bag of "brown" sand at petsmart for a 10g. i may just go that route again, really liked the look.

I get the diatoms too in new tank setups with new PFS. It passes.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down