Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread

3 posters

Go down

Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread Empty Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-06-22, 11:07

I love these guys, ever since I got my first one a couple of months ago he has been a great active addition to my 20 gallon tank. The way he swims around and then hovers right in the middle sometimes is just outstanding. I also love the way he cleans algae from things- not at all like a pleco who just *SCHHHWLP* suck their faces right onto things and SUCKS... this little guy dances around like a ballerina, efficiently plucking all the little bits of algae off with his lips as he hovers there.

Plus, he seems to be doing an excellent job keeping any green algae out of sight for the most part. He doesn't bother getting the diatoms off plant leaves though; I guess he is vegan or something (I know, they just don't feed on diatoms).

Anyone else have some kind words for the trusty Siamese Algae Eater, post them here! My own crappy pics to come later, here is one that cuptures their essence. Mine looks very similar to this with its gold coloring;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
pic not mine, from aquascape-aquarium.blogspot.com
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-22, 21:34

I love my little SAE's!! They're like little work horses. They're the Amano Shrimp of the fish world LOL!!
I currently have 4 of them in my 55 gallon tank, and it's neat seeing them schooling together. I can't wait for them to get all nice and big, so I can transfer them into the 100 gallon tank!

I'd take photos right now, but I'm lazy.

Okay I lied. Here you go. Very Happy

In fact, here's a video of one of them!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Siamese Algae Eaters Appreciation Thread

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-06-22, 22:17

PokeSephiroth wrote:I love my little SAE's!! They're like little work horses. They're the Amano Shrimp of the fish world LOL!!

Exactly, and that's why I decided to make a thread about them. Mine is the first one I have ever had, and he does a great job on my 20. Best 'employee' ever for the fish tank. Plus, since I still don't have a top for my tank and this one runs a little hot to make angelfish nice and comfy, I don't have amano shrimp leaping to their carpeted death bed out the sides due to too much heat or a too much nitrate, or just because they can (I feel like this is the real reason). The last time I had amano shrimp they all got out and I think I may have one left in there somewhere who is the only smart one. Of course I'm sure the angelfish didn't make them feel at home either, though they were babies, but that's huge to a shrimp.

Anyway, glad others appreciate these little guys, I doubt that I will even buy the various dwarf plecos in the future except maybe exciting ornamental varieties or for biotope tanks.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-06-24, 00:04

I've always liked this fish. I like them as young small fish and as adults. I appreciate what they do in a planted and non planted tank nibbling away at BHA and algaes.  As fat adults I like catching them resting on leaves twitching their 'whiskers'. With a heavily planted tank I look intensely into the plants so seeing critters in the nooks is awesome.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-07-06, 02:26

Here's a quick video I made about SAE's

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down