Retirement? Nahhh...project time!!

5 posters

Go down

Retirement?  Nahhh...project time!! Empty Retirement? Nahhh...project time!!

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-05-15, 19:51

John retired the end of December.  In that time we have cleared multiple projects off our to do list.  I'm having so much fun...and I think he is too.  In the past month we built our in-ground pond and a 50G tank stand.  We spent the previous months clearing out our storage sheds (we had them for twelve years), cleaning up the house, organizing the garage and two small sheds, and bringing Johns woodworking tools home (they were at our daughters because we never had room to store them).

So many of the projects, tank stands and such, were kinda for me and my hobby.  I wanted us to do something for John.  This week ... well ... this week was for John.  His big shed outside (12x8) has been a mess for years.  Everything just piled in and stacked on top of each other where things would stack.  You had to move three things to get to one thing.  So, I had a vision.  A vision of order and nice shelves and room to store stuff and find stuff (I hated going into that dang shed...really).  

As most projects go, I can't do them without the help of John so we worked as our usual team this week.  Monday afternoon (after tank changes) was argument day as we decided how to build the shelves and worked on beginning measurements and cuts on the 1st round of shelving.  Having a vision doesn't mean I know how to execute it especially when it comes to carpentry.  I knew what measurements I wanted but forgot to take into account things like the dimensions of the 2x4's that would act as ledgers.  Working the table saw with precision I cut up enough sections to make the shelves.  After laying things out and readying for drilling and screws I realized my error.  John and I fussed and fussed about what should be done to to fix things.  Finally we both agreed on the remedy.

Day 2 - final assembly of the 6ft 3 shelf section.  Things went much better with us working like a well oiled machine.  John ran out to get more wood in the morning and I deftly drilled and cut to perfection (or so I thought).  Upon return John informed me that I was a little off on my "squaring" of things.  "Squaring" I said, what the heck is "squaring".  Another lesson in carpentry followed.  Lesson learned.  By the end of Day 2 we had the section in the shed and we were loading up stuff into it.  Wow, all the stuff we drug out of the shed (huge pile of things and a mess to boot)...most of it fit back into the shed.  I was amazed at my prowess in measuring things and planning for the details.

Day 3 - start on 2nd shelving section.  A 5F 2 shelf unit that would house birdseed garbage cans and other assorted junk.  This time we knew what we were doing and worked the morning to get the second section done (yeah...Wednesday ends with 2nd section done and tank changes in the afternoon cause it was getting stinking hot).

Day 4 (today) - Load up the 2nd shelf unit and plan for the final one.  What remained to go into the shed?  Wood storage, tool storage, bike storage, mower, handtruck, ladder...oh...golf clubs.  Yeah, I knew we could make this work...we had an entire side left.  Brain clicking, hands ticking...yep..there it was...the final shelf plan.  OK...using some old lumber and new we got this one done too.  Then the cleanup and finally the best part...standing back and giving one another KNUCKS...yes...I cut wood, I drilled holes and put screws in them.  I sweated and cussed and smiled and ran around with wood shavings in my hair and other parts.  

I think this was the best project we have done so far as the smile on my husbands face was PRICELESS

Retirement?  Nahhh...project time!! Dsc_4614

The working space...we still had to do the tool box (a small box that was built to organize the yard tools...laying on the grass and patio in the front)
Retirement?  Nahhh...project time!! Dsc_4615

Retirement? Well...its all how you define it. John and I "work" on projects during the week and then try to have some downtime on the weekends. Yes, we are retired but not dead...  Very Happy 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Retirement?  Nahhh...project time!! Empty Re: Retirement? Nahhh...project time!!

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-15, 20:14

I wanna be retired! Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Retirement?  Nahhh...project time!! Empty Re: Retirement? Nahhh...project time!!

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-05-15, 20:37

The day will come... yes it will Chad!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-05-15, 22:34

Nice work, Donna! We really need to work on getting our junk better organized too.

It looks like you already have what I want one of our next projects to be -- a larger covered patio. Ours is nice and long, but nowhere near wide enough.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Denizaari 2014-05-15, 23:33

Ahh, if I could only win the lotto...I would have "projects" to do!!!
I guess you need to play to win.
Denizaari
Denizaari
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Clogstonian 2014-05-16, 00:24

sounds like fun, congrats and enjoy!
Clogstonian
Clogstonian
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Clogstonian 2014-05-16, 00:27

I guess you need to play to win. [/quote]

naw, it's just a different type of lottery with much worse odds.
Clogstonian
Clogstonian
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-05-16, 06:55

Betty wrote:Nice work, Donna! We really need to work on getting our junk better organized too.

It looks like you already have what I want one of our next projects to be -- a larger covered patio. Ours is nice and long, but nowhere near wide enough.  

Thanks Betty. And I have always had this thing about stuff...living the old saying "a place for everything and everything in its place". Disorganization drives me crazy. And as I get older having things organized is even more important because there is the old age factor of "finding things". LOL...and having a place for everything (if I put things away properly) makes it easier to locate things the next time I need them.

The back patio is a great part of our house. It still houses way too many kids toys but the grandchildren love playing out there.

Denizaari...someone wins that Lotto its just never us or anyone we know. John used to buy a lotto ticket every week but now he does the scratch tickets...the odds seem much better on those. Nothing big yet but a few nice small wins. Seems better than nothing on the lottery.

Clogstonian - thanks  Very Happy 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down