Is this a good deal for driftwood??

5 posters

Go down

Is this a good deal for driftwood??  Empty Is this a good deal for driftwood??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 12:38

I've been watching aquabid for some driftwood and finally came across a couple of piece I liked the looks of. I was wondering if this is a good deal and good wood type for planted tanks?? I am just getting into the planted tank end of things and would love advice. Thanks in advance!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Is this a good deal for driftwood??  Empty Re: Is this a good deal for driftwood??

Post  Guest 2014-04-07, 12:47

If no one response due to no driftwood for sale or none available.  If you can wait for the swap in june. There is always someone bringing driftwood all the time. The next is in june 7. Look in the events section of the forum.

Back to top Go down

Is this a good deal for driftwood??  Empty Re: Is this a good deal for driftwood??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 12:59

I can't make it up there to the meetings. Its over 2 hours away from me. :/ its closer for me to just go to wetspot lol. I don't mind buying the ones in the link if they are worth it.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-04-07, 13:11

Yes it is to expensive. Kens sells bigger pieces for less.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-07, 13:13

I'd say the bottom piece is nice. The other two are what I call logs. Just non nondescript pieces of wood. You'd want to cover them with plants.

That said 3 pieces for $32 shipped isn't too bad, but I'd rather pick out some choice pieces personally and possibly spend a little more for something I know I want and use. Those pices also look pretty flat, so not a lot of dimensions to them which makes them easy to ship.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-04-07, 13:20

Well said Cory. I guess that it helps to read the entire thread. I thought it was $32 ea piece.  Embarassed 

But agree with Cory. Kens has some awesome pieces, but you dont get to pick what you want. I have purchased a lot of wood from him and all of the pieces have been really unique and cool looking
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 13:33

Okay very good to know. I love purchasing from ken's. All my food comes from him and a lot of my filter media and equipment. I am wanting smaller pieces since its a 30, 10, and 5 gallon they would be going in to. Glad ken's has unique pieces. That was my concern. I do plan on attaching some plants but like to see the wood as well. I would like to get a real branchy piece too. Is there one species better than others to get branchy pieces of?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-07, 13:34

Manzanita is the best for branchy pieces. I sell those 10 to 1 over malaysian driftwood at my shop.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 13:36

Cool I'll look for some of that instead then! Smile Thank you for all the advice guys!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 13:47

Awh, Ken's doesn't have manzanita :/ How much do you sell smaller pieces for Cory??
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-07, 13:54

Nano sized pieces are $6.99, next size up is $11.99. In theory my new website for the shop will be live this weekend... but we shall see Razz
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-04-07, 13:56

cheers 
Aquarium Co-Op wrote:Nano sized pieces are $6.99, next size up is $11.99. In theory my new website for the shop will be live this weekend... but we shall see Razz
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 13:58

Awesome! How much do you expect shipping to be? I know it would vary with piece size.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-04-07, 14:13

Not sure on shipping yet. I need to bargain with UPS and Fedex for rates still. But like the aquabid guy is using a flat rate large shipping box from USPS to send those pieces. I can use those boxes as well the problem is branchy pieces don't fit into a flat rate box well but they are light. So I need to get some custom size boxes and set it up to weigh it. Then I can quote accurate shipping.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 14:32

Okay, maybe I will get in touch with angelo and he can send me some pici can choose and then ship them in a bigger box together. I wish all the good stores were so far away from me. Or even better that I could open my own store and provide a good store to others!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-04-07, 16:04

The Pet Works in Astoria had some nice pieces of Malaysian driftwood when I was there a couple months ago. Not sure if that is closer than their Longview store for you but yeah I was in there on Valentine's day weekend. Cory and one other shop in the Seattle area are the only ones I know of that carry Manzanita regularly though, locally.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 16:22

An hour and a half to longview and 50 mins to astoria. Nick who works at the astoria store is working with me for ordering some fish or trying to and purchasing some fry from me in the future. I can look into them as well. Heading down that way for the shopping next week I believe so I'll swing in and find out. Thanks for the info Jubs!!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-07, 18:58

Does anyone know if a certain type of wood is better or brackish waters? I have one tank I'd like to add wood to for my GSP.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudk 2014-04-15, 14:01

U could go collect ur own pieces of wood in a river or lake. Pick pieces that have the bark off already so no leaking. Dry it to kill stuff, then soak again so it'll sink. I was in the market myself recently. I ended up just going out and grabbing some smallish pieces. WA has tons of rivers and lakes with driftwood galore. Lots to choose from, and u can pick out exactly what u want.
Cloudk
Cloudk
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-15, 15:17

I've wondered about doing that but it made me nervous that there might be stuff in them that could harm the fish. What kind of pieces did you find? Do you have pictures?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cloudk 2014-04-15, 15:39

I got Madrone. I'm taking off the bark now. It would've been easier to just get pieces with bark already off. But i really liked these pieces. They naturally shed their bark so it flakes off pretty easily. I'm trying to post pics, but it doesn't seem to b being cooperative.

Last edited by Cloudk on 2014-04-15, 15:49; edited 2 times in total
Cloudk
Cloudk
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-04-15, 15:44

haha we used to have one of those trees in my parents yard. They hated how it "peeled" and I would always go out and pulled sheets of the bark off. They finally cut it down because they were annoyed with the bark pieces every where.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down