Feeding Betta Fry

3 posters

Go down

Feeding Betta Fry Empty Feeding Betta Fry

Post  BrookAshley 2014-03-13, 00:14

So I've finally found a pair of bettas (plus six others, its an addictive hobby lol) that I would love to try and spawn and I've been doing a TON of research on all of the different methods of getting them to spawn but as for what to feed the fry when they start swimming I'm at lost, I've heard tons of contradicting methods on feed. While I plan on invesingt in a microworm culture or two and a good brine shrimp hatchery I'm not quite sure what else I can feed them. Any tips?
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Feeding Betta Fry Empty Re: Feeding Betta Fry

Post  Chiisai 2014-03-13, 00:18

Vinegar eels are super good(I have cultures if your ever up my way). Also Hikari "First Bites." Just be careful with microworms. The problem is the fry will skim the bottom to eat the microworms so when they grow up they wont have their front fins !!!  Had to cull 50 fry my first time. Head Wall

To calrify I am not saying dont use micro worms. I am simply saying dont feed that consistently.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-03-13, 00:24

Wife wanted me to add that if your on a budget... get some good quality flake food and maybe some dried daphnia and grind them up with a pestle and Mortar to a fine dust. We like this as a staple diet as the other foods brought crap into the tank(vinegar eels lowered PH, Micro worms brought yeast and ammonia).

Biggest thing when considering food is... will it fit in their mouth? Brine shrimp are far too big for the first 2-4 weeks. Also remember they dont tolerate even a 2 degree temp change so we used a clean 10gal with 2" of water and then slowly added water rather then sucking it out(stupid fry run right for the hose or turkey baster). Good luck let me know how it goes for ya!
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2014-03-13, 00:25

i use first bites Smile then move to baby brine shrimp:)
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BrookAshley 2014-03-19, 21:29

Chiisai wrote:Wife wanted me to add that if your on a budget... get some good quality flake food and maybe some dried daphnia and grind them up with a pestle and Mortar to a fine dust. We like this as a staple diet as the other foods brought crap into the tank(vinegar eels lowered PH, Micro worms brought yeast and ammonia).

Biggest thing when considering food is... will it fit in their mouth? Brine shrimp are far too big for the first 2-4 weeks. Also remember they dont tolerate even a 2 degree temp change so we used a clean 10gal with 2" of water and then slowly added water rather then sucking it out(stupid fry run right for the hose or turkey baster). Good luck let me know how it goes for ya!

Thank you for the advice Smile I'm sorry its taken me a while to respond
I had an idea, I wonder if anyone has tried spawning their Bettas in a larger (say a 20g long?) filtered aquarium in a shallow net (using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or another type of fine plastic mesh ) just under the surface of the water, it would make things much easier on the fry, and if the current is too much you could turn off the filter and just run a sponge filter or two until the fry grew a bit bigger.
I want to try this but I don't have the supplies yet
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down