Marineland C-360
Via Aqua 300w titanium
AHSupply 96w kit
Mineralized soil
100lbs black sand
A few medium pieces of manzanita
A stand is in the works.
Red Sea paintball CO2 w/solenoid

I want the plants to be heavy on Ludwigia in the background and an assortment of other shorter plants up front.  I've got a decent selection of plants in my 10g I'd like to see reach a more mature size.

I was going to try the CRS in here if I had luck with them in my 10g, but I'm not holding any high hopes for that.  RCS will likely be inhabitants, but not a main attraction.

Curious what fish you think would look nice in there.  Back in the day I focused on SA cichlids and other larger fish, not too familiar with most of the community fish.  I also don't think I'll be too worried about it being a biotope tank.  I remember really enjoying spotted climbing perch and archer, though I think the 45 is too small for them.  I always thought live feedings were fun, closer to nature.  I like the look of rummy nose tetras also.  

What would you put in?
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Fish selection for upcoming 45g tall Empty Re: Fish selection for upcoming 45g tall

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-25, 22:12

Well I would think RCS would cut out any cichlids dwarf or not so I guess your looking for community type? Guppies are fun, prolific breeders, and come in a rainbow of color variations. If you think thats too bland then how about 5-10 Boesemani Rainbow, and maybe 3-6 Harlequin rasboras or your rummy nose tetras for contrast?

rainbows..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rasbora...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Fish selection for upcoming 45g tall Empty Re: Fish selection for upcoming 45g tall

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-25, 22:56

With shrimp you kind of limit what's put in. But if it was my 40 tall I would probably seek out a pair of Dwarf cichlids. They like the bottom 1/3rd but are not scared to venture throughout the rest of the tank.

A small schooling tetra with the pair of Apistogramma would be neat. I've grown fond of Ember Tetra. A school of 10+ would go well with Apisto and partially fill the middle top. Of course a Bristlenosed Pleco of some kind. Maybe a chocolate long fin or something along with otocinclus, and perhaps a  purple mystery snail. Cannot forget a  Coridalis species of some sort Smile

IDK, just a list that popped into my mind. 

In planted tanks I like finding single fish that like to hide out in plants. Then when your peering at your plants checking out growth they reveal themselves sometimes. Like a S.A. Bumble Bee catfish.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-26, 00:51

In a tall tank I would lean towards angel fish!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-02-26, 01:15

Crystal shrimps with fish is no no. Fish will eat fry and maybe some of the adults in molting phase.(soft shelled shrimp). 40gal would great with angels like morgan said.
But if you're willing to kill the crystals wanna donate some to me. Lol jk.

Ps the only fish I have with my shrimps are 2 dwarf cories. That is it. 40gal tank with dwarf shrimps and dwarf cories. Just keep the shrimps in the 10-20gal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfalcons 2014-02-26, 01:47

I wouldn't want to put rainbows in a tank less than four feet long. A pair of angels would look really nice; the pair I have in my planted 55 are the king and queen of the tank and that's with rainbows, roselines, and cardinal tetras competing for attention as well. A school of cardinals to go along with the angels will add a lot of contrasting color with the plants.

Flyfalcons
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-26, 09:31

Cool - Angelfish, rams , Apistogrammas, tetras, corys, oh my - my favorite combo! 
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down