Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!

3 posters

Go down

Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!  Empty Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-06, 23:58

I added salt to my green spotted puffers tank. The hydrometer reads 1.004 and he was at no salt. Did I add too much??? I can do a quick water change and take that down if needed. Please let me know! He also did a slight puff up when he was released into the water. I used instant ocean, mixed in a 5 gallon bucket then added to his aquarium water. Without him being in there at the time. I also added some water in portions to his container so he didn't get a shock of salt. Any advice?? If he doesn't respond soon I will do a water change. His puffing went down already but he's not swimming around much.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!  Empty Re: Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-07, 00:19

Hmm, I hate to jump on a topic I have little experience in (brackish fish), but since it's urgent...

What I know about fish is any major fluX in water parameters will shock a fish. Be it temp, PH, Hardness, ect... I would think its safe to say its the same for salt. If the fish is adjusted to fresh water and then instantly introduced to a different environment he's probably going to be hurting. I would definitely ease the fish to the parameters you would like the tank to be at. Not seeing the fish it's hard to say of the stress level but what you have written tells me he's in shock, if not a little bit.

If you think he's hurting it might be a good idea to pull 10% of the water out and add fresh water.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!  Empty Re: Added salt fish acting lazy, did I add too much?? Immediate answer better please!

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-07, 00:23

I think your saving grace is that this fish has evolved in brackish waters. These are waters where fresh and salt waters mix (as we all know) , so one might think this species is used to fluctuating salt levels. So , he might sit a bit, shake it off, then be okay in a few hours.

I noticed with my puffers they are very resilient . My Puffers are a different species than yours but have noticed they are pretty hardy and can take a bit of a beating.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 00:28

I couldn't stand it because he wasn't even responding to me putting my finger near him and usually he goes shooting across the tank. I put him in fresh water no salt, tap conditioner added same temp and he sat for maybe 3 minutes and then started to swim around and now he's trying to get out of the container while I do a water change on his tank. Trying 50% to drop salinity in half. I swear I can't get his tank right ever. I'm thinking puffers aren't for me and is discouraging me from salt water completely. Sad
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-07, 00:51

Well, I think you made the correct choice by the sounds of it. The only thing I could suggest is adding salt slowly. Like whatever salinity level you want, only change 2-5% at a time. Wait a few days, then boost it up another 2-5% until you achieve the desired salt level.

There is also full freshwater species Puffers. That's the type I have. Puffers are really neat, so are these Green Spotted Puffers. I hope you dont get discouraged.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 01:00

This one fish has gotten me discouraged. When I moved in last month with my boyfriend and he saw all my tanks lol I don't think he really grasped it when I told him. He likes things simple but nice. He doesn't like the idea of the floor space being taken up by the tanks. SO him being the finish carpenter for yachts and catamarans that he is, asked "You can make tanks out of acrylic right?" 'yeah' "So if I build two big tanks in the walls here and here would you get rid of the ones that take up floor space?" There was no hesitation at all in my answer of YES! He wants to put one in the hallway about 5 and a half feet long by about 3 feet tall and another in the dining room that's about 6 feet long and 3-4 feet tall. We were discussing the one in the dining room of being salt water. But this puffer is making me think I should stick with freshwater. My angels and tetras and plecos live forever! lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 01:22

Well, just did some reading on green spotted puffers puffing up and if this happens they say its a sign of high stress and unfortunately the fish will more than likely die. Awesome. I just spent a ton on making his tank planted to try and make him better as well as ordering krill to try and help with his teeth since he won't eat snails. That's per typical right?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 01:28

He didn't puff up huge, just like when he's ate alot. But he hasn't ate today. However, he is swimming around the tank more. And he is more active. One last hoorah or maybe feeling better. I'm not sure. Nothing more I can really do at this point. Hydrometer is reading just a hair over 0 but not enough to touch where the scale starts reading at. I've turned off the light and he's the only one in the tank so no other stresses to bother him for the rest of the night. Guess I will see in the morning how he is. Cross my fingers the little guy makes it. He's one of my favorites. But those always seem to be the ones that things happen to. Thank you for your help fishNAbowl! I was told when I got this puffer he was a pea puffer. Maybe if he does die I will try and find some of those instead since they are fresh water! lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 15:49

Well he's still alive today. But still somewhat puffed. Is swimming around some. But he's usually more active in the evening anyways. And he did eat some last night after the 50% water change. Just concerned about him being puffed some and I need to clip his teeth but afraid to do that now that's had this stress happen.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-07, 16:00

Oh gezz, this puffers got a lot going on. I would definitely wait until he's stable and 100% recovered until pulling him out to trim teeth.

Your Boy friend never went to your house & see all the tanks you had?! LOL
He must really like ya if he's going to start building tanks in the walls, that's awesome!!!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 16:38

I had a roommate that they didn't get along so if he came he just stayed outside. So never saw the tanks. He's used to fancy multi-million dollar yachts and now is building catamarans so he has that statte of mind when it comes to the house. I think it would be awesome and easy to fix if he ever sold his house. None of the walls are weight bearing so covering holes will be easy. When time comes I'll be asking lots of questions on here for advice when they get built! Lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-07, 18:15

have you considered trying a new feeding regimine? i know Cory at aquarium co-op has some of that gel type food. you could try adding that to some clam/mussel shells. that way at least when hes eatting he has a chance to file his teeth down naturally. ive seen a lot of ppl do similar things with target feeding saltwater species. GL to ya it sure stinks to lose a beloved aquatic buddy. Definitely dont try to trim his teeth atm either.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-07, 19:10

I did buy freeze dried krill from ken's to add in some crunchier diet. I'd be interested to find out what else would work as well?? He loves freeze dried blood worms but snails have been there for over a week in a bunch of different sizes and none have been touched :/
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-10, 15:50

Just an update. He's doing much better. His colors are bright again and he seems to have more drive to eat more/better. His body is back to normal shape as well. Now if only I could get him to much on those snails! Lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-10, 16:02

Spot On - What a lil' bugger.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-10, 17:51

Tell me about it! Ken's fish order should be here thursday and I got some krill. Hopefully he'll like that and help some. Going to try the local shellfish store and see if I can get a mussel or small clam for him to try munching at.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down