Betta acting lethargic

+2
Ratlova30
Consecration
6 posters

Go down

Betta acting lethargic Empty Betta acting lethargic

Post  Consecration 2011-11-27, 21:27

I have a Halfmoon betta who has been acting off for the past couple months. He just sits at the bottom of the tank. I never see him move or eat. Ive done water changes, Ive added Melafix in case it was some sort of disease, Ive tested the water multiple times, Ive even added a filter and heater. I just don't know what else to try. He looks normal and hasn't lost any weight which is odd considering he never moves to eat. He shares a 10 gallon tank with another male betta, they are separated by a divider. The other betta act completely normal, He eats and swims around a lot. When I first got the halfmoon, he was extremely active like this betta, constantly swimming and flaring up at his reflection in the glass. Now he just sits there on the bottom of the tank, sometimes in awkward positions. PLEASE HELP! bounce
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Betta acting lethargic Empty Re: Betta acting lethargic

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-27, 21:31

Hmmm... a heater would have been my first suggestion. What do you have the temp set at? What is he being fed and how long have you had him?
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-27, 22:19

Consecration wrote:Now he just sits there on the bottom of the tank, sometimes in awkward positions. PLEASE HELP! bounce

When you say awkward is it like he cant quite keep himself upright? Maybe a swim bladder issue.

Maybe he is bored, change his tank around a bit, put something different for him to check out and explore. I would have said the heat thing too, is it at least 76 degrees? Have you tried to add a bit more air to the tank with a pump and airstones? Have you tempted him with a treat? This time of year little earthworms are easy to get amongst the leaves on the ground. Only if you do not use pesticides in the yard.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-27, 22:24

If he wasn't doing this already I was going to suggest nuking a pea in case he might be a little blocked up.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-27, 23:41

If you cant get him to eat his peas, you can also try Epsom salt. This can help get things moving... LMFAO Did not mean for that to come out like that, but it was funny!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Consecration 2011-11-28, 00:01

I feed him Omega One Freshwater Flakes. Its real seafood, and very little filler. Good stuff, all my other fish love it! I have the temp set at 78 degrees and there is two airstones in the tank. I have also added a little epsom salt to the water a few days ago. I do not believe he has a swim bladder problem, He just seems to lay around on his side at times. When I first saw him do it I thought he was dying, that was over a month ago! I just tried to give him about 1/4th of a skinned, warm, pea. Sadly he just let it hit him on the head as it floated to the bottom of the tank. Hes not even interested. I'll leave it there for him to see if he changes his mind later...

I'll try and take a picture of him and post it shortly. He doesn't look sick he just never moves. Its so weird. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm pretty stumped here...
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Consecration 2011-11-28, 00:25

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is him, he never moves out from behind that airstone. I moved the plants so I could show. He just sits still, quite the opposite from how active he was before. My default picture is the same fish, It was taken a few months ago. I think hes rather stunning when he flares up, but lately I don't get to see cause he just sits there. Maybe he needs a girlfriend? lol!
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-11-28, 04:45

You know a few months ago we moved my daughters Betta Casper into a new 2.5 minibow aquarium in my daughters room and added a betta log and about a week later we realized he was lethargic and would lay on his side so we put him back in the 1 gallon bowl w filter to treat him for illness and we thought for sure he was going to die and it turns out he was just depressed. He wanted his old bowl back because now he follows us when we walk by and he flares if you point at him. You could try moving him to a different tank? GL Very Happy
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  Consecration 2011-11-28, 11:15

Hmmmm, I did transfer him to the 10 gallon a few months ago, I didn't really think there was a problem with the tank because my other betta is acting so healthy. Perhaps he misses his old tank...
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-11-28, 13:56

Could be...Try putting him back in it and see what happens. Very Happy
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  Consecration 2011-11-28, 16:16

*sigh* what a drama queen, I'm going to be speechless if putting him back in his old tank is a cure all... lol!
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  czeiszler 2011-11-28, 17:29

lol!
czeiszler
czeiszler

Back to top Go down

Post  Consecration 2011-11-29, 17:56

I just put Halo to sleep using clove oil. He was suffering greatly and couldn't get up off his side anymore. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

RIP
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  F.Banks 2011-11-30, 04:58

So sorry you and he lost the battle. He was certainly a looker!
F.Banks
F.Banks
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Consecration 2011-11-30, 11:29

Thank you. I thought he was pretty.
Consecration
Consecration
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2012-12-06, 23:44

I had the same problem for a while. My Betta was acting weird so I moved him to a smaller "hospital" tank, equipped with a heater, and treated with melafix for a week. He lost his color while he was sick, but now he's back in the regular tank, regained his color, now he's right as rain Smile I'm surprised you didn't have any luck with the melafix. Supposedly if you use it in a tank with activated charcoal, it gets filtered out and doesn't do anything.
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down