cichlid-gal
Aquarium Co-Op
TheFishPimp
fishNAbowl
Nick_87
MRTom
10 posters

Go down

Evil monsters (Damselfly larva) in fish tank Empty Evil monsters (Damselfly larva) in fish tank

Post  MRTom 2014-02-01, 20:40

I just found a dead barb in one of my tanks... being nibbled on by this 6 legged velociraptor monster evil spawn from the blackness of death. A quick image search pointed me to Damselfly larvae...

This is the closest image I found of what the fuel of nightmares I found in the tank looked like
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So my question is... Have you guys ever dealt with these evil harbingers of death? Any ideas where they could come from (I don't have damselfly flying around the house Smile) What kind of impact could they have on the fish tank water? Could they possibly kill a full grown cherry barb or might there have been another COD? Any links to reputable online info about them? I've been searching online but only found hearsay level info on them, and tons of general background on the adult insects.

Putting this in inverts+plants since
a. this guy probably came in with some plant over a month ago  Head Wall 
b. they ARE inverts... though I'm very inclined to call them a very large disease.  sick kittie
Let me know if you guys think this thread should live over in diseases.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Evil monsters (Damselfly larva) in fish tank Empty Re: Evil monsters (Damselfly larva) in fish tank

Post  Guest 2014-02-01, 20:47

Wow thats what killed that barb.  Suspect
Well you still have other beautiful tanks. Jelly

Back to top Go down

Evil monsters (Damselfly larva) in fish tank Empty Re: Evil monsters (Damselfly larva) in fish tank

Post  Nick_87 2014-02-01, 20:59

Yes they will kill fish,
It definitely came in on a plant you got
They will not affect the water although I would recommend removing it so you don't loose any more fish.

I have had some nasty dragonfly larva before that have killed and ate a 3" goldfish.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I used to do a lot of benthic studies and research in college for UW and WA fish & game and came to know all these nasty little buggers all to well.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-02-01, 21:50

Yeah... I didn't take any pictures of this thing... I pulled it out of the tank and jumped on it and squished it and ran around screaming like a little girl at a justin beaver private concert before I could do anything intelligent like wonder what it was. This is the second time I run into one of these guys, so at least now I know what to watch out for. Thanks!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-01, 22:20

W T _?! Never seen anything like that in the years I've been in the hobby. That's horribly wicked.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFishPimp 2014-02-01, 23:19

Hey now...as 25yr flyfisherman I can tell you they get eatin by a LOT of trout and lead to some of the best Dry Fly experiences of the year!!!

TFP

TheFishPimp
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-02, 01:00

These things can be a real problem in ponds when I'm spawning fish outside Razz They can also just come in your tanks from one flying in during the summer time etc and laying eggs.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-02-02, 01:05

Both times I've caught them (I had one last November), it was because they had just killed some fish... so I'll totally vouch for them being nasty little buggers. Gotta watch out for them.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-02-02, 02:30

Fishy tank monsters...yuck! But I love your description of the "death scene"...  haha 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-02-02, 04:03

I'd hate to see one of these in my tanks, and now I'm frightened to even try spawning fish outdoors. One of those things could eat an entire stock of white cloud minnows in a heartbeat. It would be a massacre! 0_0
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Missgrumpygills 2014-02-09, 00:12

MRTom wrote:6 legged velociraptor monster evil spawn from the blackness of death.
Now that's a description  haha
Missgrumpygills
Missgrumpygills
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-02-09, 01:26

Missgrumpygills wrote:
MRTom wrote:6 legged velociraptor monster evil spawn from the blackness of death.
Now that's a description  haha
I don't think I did them justice either Smile They move around like the aliens from Aliens... tails whipping around, big bug eyes staring, swimming around the tank faster than any fish... Pure evil!!! If they didn't grow up to leave the water and fly around the room, I'd love to keep a tank full of them!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bad-daddio 2014-02-09, 11:53

TheFishPimp wrote:Hey now...as 25yr flyfisherman I can tell you they get eatin by a LOT of trout and lead to some of the best Dry Fly experiences of the year!!!

TFP

Trout LOVE these bad boys. My nymph box always has 2-3 damsel fly imitations in it.
bad-daddio
bad-daddio
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-02-09, 18:00

I've had damsel fly larvae in my tanks before. The past few places I've lived have been near creeks or small ponds, so it's difficult to keep the adults from getting in the house.

I have witnessed them catch and kill an adult cherry shrimp. I have also seen my axolotl catch and eat an adult damsel fly that was trying to lay eggs. It's like "Wild Kingdom" up in my fish room!

For me, it was helpful to remove all of the wood from my tank and give it a quick rub with a wire brush. Once I found one damsel fly larvae, I quickly found several more. Well worth the effort!
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down