New tank & new fish :)

+4
cichlid-gal
fishNAbowl
InfamousRedlineZ
SonicsDC25
8 posters

Go down

New tank & new fish :) Empty New tank & new fish :)

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-02-13, 23:29

Finished upgrading my 29g to a 55g last week, then today got 6x F1 Jalo Reefs and 6x F1 Ps. Saulosi today  cheers . They're all looking healthy so far and I wasn't planning on feeding them for the first night; however they've been grazing on 2 of my rocks that have brown algae/diatom all day lol.

At first glance, it seems I may have a 2M:4F Jalo Reef ratio and a good chance at 5M:1F Saulosi ratio, but they're all only about 1 inch big with some Saulosi being a tad smaller than that (hope there's no aggression or bullying issue due to that).

**EDIT** Might be willing to sell 3 of the F1 Saulosi since it'll probably be male heavy Razz

Thanks for looking, pics & videos below!   Smile 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Receiving the box in the morning
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Nicely insulated  
Drip acclimating Saulosi

Last edited by SonicsDC25 on 2014-02-22, 15:46; edited 4 times in total
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

New tank & new fish :) Empty Re: New tank & new fish :)

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2014-02-14, 00:01

Wow looks amazing! And they all look healthy. Miss all my Africans
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-14, 01:28

Shocked - Look at those colors!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-02-14, 08:21

Great job on your rockscape...looks fantastic. If I could get my rocks to look that great I would forgo the plants but I can never get a tank full of rocks to look awesome..you did a great job on that scape.

Your fish look good too and nice find on F1 saulosi...congrats
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2014-02-14, 10:47

I really like your rockscape as well and nice job on the pics.

I'm not sure what the black spots are, but I've had a few fish over the years that had those -- almost like irregular splotches of ink?  From the reading I did, there are a lot of ideas to try to explain them, (everything from stress, to too much spirulina in the diet, to scarring and even parasites) but most people thought it wasn't a problem and that turned out to be true for my fish.  They might come and go or even disappear completely. Just keep an eye on the affected fish to be sure it's acting normally.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-02-14, 13:32

Thanks everyone ^_^ Yeah Betty I contacted the seller and he said it's most likely too much Spirulina and should disappear in a few days  Smile  .

It'll be a shame if all the Saulosi end up as males, hopefully at least 1 is female to make a pair and I'll be able to get some TB/F2 frys  Razz  Though I'll probably be willing to sell 3 of the F1 Saulosi if anyone is interested, just PM.

Fed them for the first time this morning before work and they really colored up, was fun to watch (although they faded a tad by the time I got my phone camera going lol).

SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-14, 19:26

ya a few days is a bit of a stretch id say. as i understand it, its a parasite that is present in outdoor / pond style aquariums that are favorites of commercial breeders. give em a cpl months and do lots of water changes, say 30% 2-3 times per week till its gone. ive never seen it spread but it should go away, ive had it on some of my Ps. Acei before. your jalo reef's however look quite nice. GL w/ your africans Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  InfamousRedlineZ 2014-02-14, 19:50

The black spots are fine. Ive had it on my africans before. Never harm them and over time it just disappear. Its cause by the food that was fed to them.
InfamousRedlineZ
InfamousRedlineZ

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-02-16, 11:39

One of the black spots are already gone, surprised it was that fast, maybe because they're still young juvs Smile Only problem now is that they're grazing all day on brown algae/diatoms, so by the time I can feed them their stomachs are already full lol.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2014-02-16, 18:25

In regards to the black spots,I say too much spirulina. My Zebras,and Labs once showed these spots. Back then I used veggie flake as my staple,it was full of spirulina,I switched to feeding NLS exclusively,and the spots were no more. Haven't see one black spot since.My experience anyways.
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-02-16, 18:47

Yep I'm feeding them NLS 1mm pellets exclusively, pretty good results thus far Very Happy
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  finray56 2014-02-16, 19:01

Grazing is natural and very healthy for most African cichlids. I also feed all of my Tropheus colony's Spirulina and not one black spot in the bunch . I have however received imported fish/Tropheus that had black spots. There is a lot of debate over what exactly causes this condition and a lot of consensus points to problems pertaining to pond raised fish. I don't have an answer myself, however when I did receive Tropheus that came with this condition it (slowly) went away on its own. Like I said Spirulina is a main staple of my fishes diet so I'm rather doubtful that it is the culprit.

I kind of lean towards poor water conditions if the fish were pond raised. This is only my opinion and I wanted to share it. Each aquarist will have to come to their own conclusion and it's always good to keep this in mind. Good luck with your beautiful fish !
finray56
finray56
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down