First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?

2 posters

Go down

First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?  Empty First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-01, 16:55

I recently had my first mystery snail clutch of eggs start hatching out. It's been over a week since they started hatching out. Now this is where it is at a stand still. The clutch of egg now slides around on the glass unlike before but I am not sure if I should break it open or let them naturally come out. I have seen very few actually in the tank it's self. Any advice??

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?  Empty Re: First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?

Post  pbmax 2014-02-01, 17:29

You could transfer the clutch to a closed container with a bit of water in it and some filter sponge such that the clutch is sitting out of the water but is still damp. Put the container on top of the tank so it stays warm. This will keep the clutch high and dry so the babies don't drown. You can then transfer the babies to the tank after they hatch out.

I did this successfully with a couple of clutches in the past.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?  Empty Re: First clutch of mystery snail eggs, what should I do?

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-01, 17:51

Should I break the clutch open? I have a betta container I could easily do this with. I wasn't sure if they could get trapped inside the clutch or if they just slowly hatch out over a period of time. I have saw 2 in the tank so far but it's a 30 gallon with larger sized rock so they are probably hiding from me and are more than that in there.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-02-01, 17:55

You can if you like; I left mine alone, if memory serves. The clutch disintegrates as the babies hatch.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-01, 18:34

ok thank you!!!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-02-01, 19:42

Good luck!  Spot On 

I'm still waiting for a clutch from my current round of mystery snails... they all seem happy and healthy, but no clutches yet.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-01, 20:56

I had one clutch they laid up on the actually HOB filter. Crazy snails. This is only my second clutch but first to hatch. I have them in 2 different tanks but haven't had any others for some reason. :/
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down