Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot?

+7
MorganEA
lloyd378
KaraWolf
DMD123
MRTom
Chiisai
Aquarium Co-Op
11 posters

Go down

Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot? Empty Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot?

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-20, 00:55

Anyone have some tips on where to get a well made couch? The Girlfriend and I have been to a few places now. Everything I've sat on just feels badly made. Whether it's a $300 couch or a $2000 couch. I want something that is not only comfortable but will last a long time. Right now we're just considering a cheapie throw away couch cause we can't find anything well built in the upper range so far. We're looking for non leather and by her request a chaise lounge option or cuddle corner.

Cause boy does it suck sitting on a dining room table chair in my living room to watch my fish tank!
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot? Empty Re: Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot?

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-20, 01:11

Your best bet is to check antique shops. Most furniture these days is made as cheaply as possible and often mass produced. Antique shops will often have older furniture when quality meant something. Dont worry too much about fabric is on it as most seamstress or upholestry shops should be able to refit it with w/e you like! Happy Hunting!
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot? Empty Re: Buying a couch. Anyone got a secret spot?

Post  MRTom 2014-01-20, 01:31

If you can handle some sticker shock... check out chartreuse modern in seattle. Their stock changes fast, but they sometimes have really good deals on high end stuff (10,000 couch for 3,000 kind of deals). They're one of the better consignment stores in the area, but you should do some research on what you're buying. Prices vary wildly.

Otherwise, the antique shops are the way to go.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-20, 18:51

I would also check Craigslist under the free section. Lots of good furniture is given away all the time because people do not want to deal with it. Many of these have zip off covers that could be washed or rent a rug doctor with a hand tool and clean it up. A bit of work but worth it if you got it for free...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2014-01-20, 19:19

Id say the spanaway U-Haul storage center but someone hauled off my couch from there last week LOL darn things didn't fit Sad(( so I have no couches. Try Craigslist.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-20, 19:30

Fitterer's furniture in Ellensburg has some of the nicest furniture I've ever sat on/ owned.  Plus they have free delivery and great customer service.  It's been around since the late 1800's I believe.  

I've also bought a few things from the old cannery in sumner..... though the quality is more mid range, not high like fitterer's

and heading to ellensburg will afford you a chance to eat at the tav (right across the street) and / or at wing central ( a wonderful wing shop north of CWU). Too bad you weren't there last weekend, as I heard they had their brewfest going on (tons of micro brews etc at all the bars, which are within walking distance of each other)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-01-20, 19:44

I bought my leather sofa at the Old Cannery and it was a good deal at the time but.... over the years things broke and I was able to repair them but when I did I saw the construction was not the greatest so I agree with Lloyd about the mid range quality.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-01-20, 20:35

All of our furniture is from The Old Cannery and its lasted 10+ years, the place is huge and has lots of variety.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-20, 21:45

Yes, it lasts. Not doubting that( my sons bunk bed came from there) I was just simply pointing out that it's not as high end as fitter ers which is worth the drive if your want exceptional customer service and awesome furniture . I have bought from both and am definitely biased towards fitterers
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-20, 21:49

Thanks for the comments. I'll pass these along to the girlfriend.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-01-21, 04:13

most of it will be cheapie throw away crap like you mentioned, but thrift stores are another place to look. i have found nice highback chairs at st vincent de paul that i wish i had room for, and i also got the end table that i use as a stand for my 20 gallon at that place. i haven't looked for couches specifically, but there are lots of thrift stores around to look around at, and they always have other interesting stuff you will probably end up buying. the goodwill seems to rotate stock the quickest and seems to have the best pricing
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman 2014-01-21, 15:26

Sansaco in Tukwila, it's behind Dania and a little cramped spot, we got a nice sectional and ottoman there for $800 and it's super light, I thought it might fall apart but we've had it a year and a half and it looks and feels EXACTLY the same as when we got it, and we use it a lot. They don't deliver, and they don't deal on price at all.. We also got a dresser there and it's nice too.
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NightFury 2014-01-27, 23:53

got ours from Anna's in lynnwood. alot of the same manufacturers from the big name stores, but much better pricing. We had ours custom made from Rowe, a line Dania and others carries.
NightFury
NightFury
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-01-28, 01:49

MRTom wrote:Anyone want a couch? slightly used SmileNeed to make space for tanks.
Helping MRTom clear up some space.

Last edited by SiRWesDragon on 2014-01-28, 01:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding my 2 cents. lol)

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2014-01-28, 03:37

LOL I already tried pirat 
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-01-28, 12:15

We buy our couches from Macy's furniture. They're not super cheap and can be hit and miss for some stuff, but the double-recliner leather sofa we have now is built like a tank and has held up really well, both in terms of the cushions and the mechanics / structure. It even has halfway-decent lumbar support which seems to be really tough to find in a couch.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down