+2
DMD123
Fishbowl
6 posters

Go down

Buying Bettas Empty Buying Bettas

Post  Fishbowl 2011-11-01, 19:38

Alrighty.
So I'm looking into buying my first Bettas, specifically of the Halfmoon variety, but I don't want to get pet store Bettas since I would like to possibly show and breed them. My struggle is where to buy and how. I've visited Aquabid and done my research but I still don't totally understand how shipping from that site works and I don't know if there are other places I should look.
So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have advice for buying your first Bettas? Because I need all the help I can get! Embarassed
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Buying Bettas Empty Re: Buying Bettas

Post  DMD123 2011-11-01, 21:52

If it were me I would "practice" with some less expensive ones first. Petco seems to carry a pretty large selection of the more unusual types. Once your feet are wet, so to speak and you have all your equipment and routines down then I would buy some high end stock to breed.

Just my 2 cents.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-01, 21:58

ive got what i believe is a halfmoon platinum red dragon. really pretty fish but i need to ditch some setups. if you could possibly come to tacoma id be happy to hand him over. just let me know.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  adal 2011-11-01, 21:59

DMD123 wrote:If it were me I would "practice" with some less expensive ones first. Petco seems to carry a pretty large selection of the more unusual types. Once your feet are wet, so to speak and you have all your equipment and routines down then I would buy some high end stock to breed.

Just my 2 cents.
Plus One

and yeah you just have to look at the local fish stores, I've seen some really nice bettas at sierra in renton.
adal
adal
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishbowl 2011-11-01, 22:37

@DMD123: That's good advice. I'd thought about it but having it said helped to solidify that plan. I will be 'getting my feet wet' on more then the community tank.

@adal: Sierra you said? I think I know where that is. I'll look into it.
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-01, 23:16

One aspect I would be looking at is the type of containers to raise out all the betta in since your males will all need to be separated out. Where will these be obtained, at what cost? How will you distribute your new betta? How many will your LFS take? Since the major sales will be males, what will you do with all the females? Tons of questions to consider...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishbowl 2011-11-02, 00:05

@DMD123: The small male tanks I will/am to be using go for between $35 and $20 depending on where I buy and what sales I hit. As for females I will likely keep a good number which would be going into large tanks with other females (possibly divided).
And as for sales I am currently doing the leg work on who can/will buy what and also attempting to understand selling fish over the internet. It will be some time before I really start breeding seeing as I planned to get a few experimental fish to, as you said earlier, 'get my feet wet' but I was trying to get and idea of how and where to by good breeding stock once I get to that point so I have time to prepare and/or do any required contacting and so on.

My plan is still developing, which is why I'm here taking up people's time as so to mooch some wisdom from people more experienced then myself in the world of fish. Which is why I am trying to respond so thoroughly to everyone's (So far mostly your) two cents as it forces me to do some thinking. Something that, while I am good at, it's not as focused as it should be. Something I fear is a function of creativity and youth.
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-02, 00:45

ive got some 2.5 gallons that could go with the bettas im trying to rehome. id love to possibly get 10 bucks a pop if possible. bettas would of course go with them. up to you.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishbowl 2011-11-02, 00:51

Well, until after Christmas I'm parent-funded so I'll talk to them but likely my dad will be all for it and happy to work it. What all do these tanks entail?
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-02, 12:12

Some of the betta websites have recommended that when you get to the point of separating out your males to use mason jars. Much cheaper than small tanks. In fact you can probably start collecting and cleaning up glass jars from food products you already use.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-02, 12:42

one of the 2.5's is rimless and planted. the other is rimmed and has a lid. both have had the backs painted black. at this point im just ditching every possible gallon to save weight for this 125
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishbowl 2011-11-02, 18:04

Well I'm willing to take on extra gallons seeing as there is currently only one little 36g in the house.

And as for mason jars, that might work if I didn't have to fight my mother for them seeing as around here glass mason jar = drinking glass. But not a bad idea, maybe I'll steal some from her.
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2011-11-02, 18:24

This was kind of cool:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Notice the pic with all the Betta in their glass jars.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishbowl 2011-11-02, 19:23

O.O
Ooooooo........
That is really cool. And certainly something to keep in mind.
Fishbowl
Fishbowl
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2011-11-03, 15:46

Interesting link DMD.

Good Luck with your betta project! Make sure you keep us updated with it. Smile

A little off topic - keeping the glass jars that come through the house is a habit I learned from my mom. Lots of uses. Though the 1 jar I used the most consistantly was this large 2ish gallon jar (had at one time been a bulk food jar) that I would use to brew up my flavored vodkas & cordials. I know I used that jar for at least 7 years...I wonder where it went to in our last move... hmmm...

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-04, 21:03

tanks r still available if your interested. 10 bucks for the pair. just let me know if you have any interest in them.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2011-11-08, 05:07

welp GF managed to break the rimmed one.. if you want the rimless 2.5 its urs for free. just let me know if your ever coming into tacoma.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  acadialover 2011-11-20, 15:33

Anthraxx wrote:ive got what i believe is a halfmoon platinum red dragon. really pretty fish but i need to ditch some setups. if you could possibly come to tacoma id be happy to hand him over. just let me know.
I would love to come and get him ???? I live in Seattle, so a hop and skip....
acadialover
acadialover
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down