Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken?

4 posters

Go down

Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken? Empty Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken?

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-15, 21:47

I was wondering how long the shelf life of an opened container of NLS pellets is. I saw a deal online for a 2270g container for $50, but I won't be able to use it all since my tank is only 29g with 6 inhabitants. Anyone interested in splitting cost and supply 50/50  Smile ? Next best price is 600g for $20, but of course the bigger container is a better deal. If I were to buy it alone, I wanted to know the shelf life, so I'll know if I'll be able to use them in time.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken? Empty Re: Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken?

Post  hobbyorobsession 2014-01-15, 22:13

I think you could use it for a much longer period of time if you froze your unused portions for later use.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken? Empty Re: Shelf life of NLS pellets after seal is broken?

Post  Nick_87 2014-01-15, 22:14

You can always throw whatever your not going to use soon in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Keeps the food fresh for a long while. That's what I do when I buy bulk and it works great.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-15, 23:11

I've heard of freezing the unused portion, however I wasn't sure whether the nutrients would remain fully potent or not. I heard that as long as you don't get moisture into the container/bag and keep it in a dry & cool space, it should remain pretty good as well.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2014-01-16, 12:25

Just don't cheap out on the bags you put it in. Ziploc doesn't fully seal at the end, though their snap and seal stuff should work perfectly. Honestly, I've fed my fish some food that was stale, they will eat it though I'm sure hey don't like it.

And on that note, are you a NLS lover? There are better deals for other type of fish food that are still very good for your fish. Kensfish.com is where I get my food, very inexpensive and great for conditioning both my community and African tanks.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SonicsDC25 2014-01-16, 12:30

I'm a fan of it and New Era. Yeah I've heard of Ken's site, I plan on buying an LED fixture off there actually (Current Satellite LED+) Smile Amazon and his prices are the same when it comes to food as well, so definitely supporting his site for sure.
SonicsDC25
SonicsDC25
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down