Convict Tank Mates?

5 posters

Go down

Convict Tank Mates? Empty Convict Tank Mates?

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-08, 17:09

So to keep up on live food i just picked up some black convicts from sumner. My issue is their tank is not done cycling. they are maybe 3/4" in size. I was wondering if i can temporarily house them with my super seksi clown loaches which are easily double their size for a week or so?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Convict Tank Mates? Empty Re: Convict Tank Mates?

Post  DMD123 2014-01-08, 19:00

They are convicts, most people would use them to cycle with....
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2014-01-08, 19:05

I always add a couple fish to a new tank to help feed the cycle. You should have no issues
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-01-08, 22:03

Guppies are great pre-cyclers! But save the colorful ones!!
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-08, 23:56

Appreciate it folks. Decided to play it safe and move Dumbo the betta and the loaches to the platy tank and let the convicts have the Office 10 gal till their tank is ready. They are so small I suspect it will be a few months before they NEED a bigger tank. But will have them in a 30 gal soon. Got 2 females and a male. Gotta give the lil guy a selection right?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-09, 00:27

I've got an extra twenty gallon you can use to cycle another tank for when the babies come next month  Smile

But I also use my current fish to cycle to tanks.....I find it cycles faster and I haven't had any deaths. I even have a couple of fish you can use to cycle your tank.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-09, 00:37

I appreciate it. But I have some of the pond goldfish on the job now. I am just super paranoid about cycling and so I like the tank to cycle atleast 2 weeks to a month. Besides guppies which I cant seem to keep a guppy tank going for long the only time I really lose fish is in the first 30 days of getting them. So naturally I assume its something I must have done wrong and now am like the mad scientist when it comes to tank chemistry. Just need to get a hardness test kit...
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-09, 00:48

Haha, ok. Cool. I usually just throw them in, feed them lightly, and let nature take its course. In fact, I just cycled(or currently) a 55g in my classroom . I moved the tank in, filled it with tap water, and added two of my cichlids to it. I did this mid December. With the fish only getting fed every four days of my two week vacation. Came back Monday to healthy happy fish who are super interactive and now stoked to be eating daily. I know my method sounds archaic and way out of the box. But I never stress my fish's health. And I've been lucky so far( the last 22 years). Good luck man!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down